Multiples GC crashes while editing IPTC

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Mike Bauers

Re: Multiples GC crashes while editing IPTC

Post by Mike Bauers »

I'm following you.Thanks.....What I would like to see is similar to the problem reporting 'app'  I had on the Amiga, as long ago as that was.It would report just what the program was looking for, where it was looking, and failed to find. Then it was a simple matter to find what was not found and put it where the program was looking for it. Sometimes it was a matter of downloading that 'element', often enough it was just the program looking in a place other than where that element was. Resolving the conflict by putting what it was seeking, where it was seeking was a quick and lasting fix.The trick was knowing why the program failed and that app provided the info. Best to ya,Mike BauersMilwaukee, Wi On Mar 28, 2015, at 12:47 PM, 'William H. Magill'  wrote:On the Mac, you do not have the "driver level issue" which exists with Windows or Linux systems... i.e. you get what drivers Apple provides and that's it, you can't install "newer" drivers supplied by the vendor.T.T.F.N.William H. Magill
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Wayne,please e-mail the file for testing to lemke@lemkesoft.deThorsten I tried to open a 30 MB Jpeg and the machine locked up.I have to force quit twice...
Mark R. Williamson

Post by Mark R. Williamson »

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but the world of computing has gotten exponentially more complex since the days of the Amiga.On Mar 28, 2015, at 1:02 PM, Mike Bauers mwbauers55@wi.rr.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: What I would like to see is similar to the problem reporting 'app'  I had on the Amiga, as long ago as that was.It would report just what the program was looking for, where it was looking, and failed to find. Then it was a simple matter to find what was not found and put it where the program was looking for it. Sometimes it was a matter of downloading that 'element', often enough it was just the program looking in a place other than where that element was. Resolving the conflict by putting what it was seeking, where it was seeking was a quick and lasting fix.The trick was knowing why the program failed and that app provided the info.
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

‘ but the world of computing has gotten exponentially more complex since the days of the Amiga.  'It might seem to be so…..Do remind yourself that in the late 1980’s Amiga would run Mac, Windows, and Amiga at once, via preemptive multi-tasking, and swap stuff between each OS as it was operating programs in each OS. Mine did…...As itself, it didn’t have a corruptible Registry and its 'Gui’ interface allowed the user to use icons, embedded text commands and a mix of both styles at once while you could also run several different resolutions on the same screen as different programs ran at once using their separate different resolution windows on the same screen..For the first 3-4 years of Babylon-5 with all of its special effects, it was the computer that generated everything beyond the floor edges of the indoor sets and created all of the exterior scenes and action used in the sci-fi series.It wasn’t backwards in any degree.And as with Mac users, it was a good feeling to see all of those fast and furious Windows viruses and other malware come to your computer with emails and look very confused with no place to go……. It was worth moving to Mac computers once they finally moved into color computer models and Amiga had stagnated for a few years. Back in the Mac black/white display era and the Windows CGA 4 then 16 color era it was so much nicer to have the Amiga with its native thousands of colors.Finally we computer users were able to return to the ease of running both Mac and Windows on the same computer, after a decade or more pause.Once Mac went to the Intel processor, and I had been with Mac for several years, I enjoyed doing both Windows and Mac on the same computer once again……… enjoyed the Mac a lot more than Windows…….. Many years ago, when I fired up Denaba-Canvas-V5, a graphics program that in itself is[was] 98-percent of all of the various separate Adobe graphics and publishing programs in the once program, with all possible graphic formats usable on the one screen…………. I knew that Amiga thinking and functionality had moved on to the Mac…. I updated Canvas through all of its Mac versions, V-10.And I felt completely at home.Graphic Convertor was quickly added to my Mac after I joined the family with a 1996 model. I forget when I first got G-C, but it was a key return to the format convertors I so enjoyed using in the Amiga. Deneba-Canvas/Mac was a similar powerhouse program that can handle anything. I look forward to it returning to the Mac soon and while I was unable to pass up a sweet discount for the program in its Windows version, V-15, I still want it directly back on the contemporary Mac.Think of the Mac as an evolved Amiga, and you’ll see a lot of family resemblance in the thinking. Great concepts are hard to keep down. Best to ya,Mike BauersMilwaukee, Wi On Mar 28, 2015, at 4:46 PM, 'Mark R. Williamson' markwmsn@markwmsn.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Forgive me for stating the obvious, but the world of computing has gotten exponentially more complex since the days of the Amiga.On Mar 28, 2015, at 1:02 PM, Mike Bauers mwbauers55@wi.rr.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:What I would like to see is similar to the problem reporting 'app'  I had on the Amiga, as long ago as that was.It would report just what the program was looking for, where it was looking, and failed to find. Then it was a simple matter to find what was not found and put it where the program was looking for it. Sometimes it was a matter of downloading that 'element', often enough it was just the program looking in a place other than where that element was. Resolving the conflict by putting what it was seeking, where it was seeking was a quick and lasting fix.The trick was knowing why the program failed and that app provided the info.
iberoguy01

Post by iberoguy01 »

Hola Thorsten,The BETA2001 solved the GC crashes while editing IPTC. Thanks.
William H. Magill

Post by William H. Magill »

Never used an Amiga, so I don't know what their problem reporting app actually did or looked like. However, based on your description, what you are asking for is what is provided by Apple when an application crashes. (Note, I do have xcode installed, so that might change what you see from what I see.) Basically, if you use "Applications/Utilities/Console.app" you will find quite an assortment of "crash dumps." These are generated under many different conditions by many different programs, far too many to discuss here. Nominally, one would find an entry with a name like: "GraphicConverter_<date-time>.crash" This file will contain the same information as was displayed by OSX when the application crashed -- or you used "Force Quit". It contains all of the "raw" information about the state of a Process(s) when the crash occurred. Debugging today takes place in a radically more complex environment than in the days of the Amiga. Especially on OSX, with is a multi-threaded, multi-user operating system which can have many different processes running at the same time. With OSX (and other modern operating systems), the Operating System "NEVER" gives up complete control of the computing environment to an application program the way things were done back in the 1980s. Similarly, the art and science of programming itself has evolved dramatically since the 1980s. The end result is that the cause of any given crash is rarely something as simple as a missing or misplaced "element." Competently written software today does all that checking itself -- generating error messages about missing components instead of crashing. Bugs today are typically "addressing errors" or "page faults" -- exotic things caused by equally exotic programmer errors. All of that said. There are "dump analyzers" available which will diagnose things in much more minute detail than is presented to the "end-user." Why? Mainly because the "end-user" today simply does not care "why a program crashes" -- they simply want to try-again, and the time needed to analyze a dump is much more than they are willing to spend. As in Medical Diagnosis -- there are far more complaints about vague symptoms than there are tests to identify the cause of those symptoms. There is really no difference between the complaints -- "I don't feel good" and "My program crashed." Both describe valid conditions, but it is up to the experience of the diagnostician to begin asking questions to determine that -- Yes, when you hit your toe with a hammer it hurts, so stop doing it. Customer support is a fun profession. :) > On Mar 28, 2015, at 2:02 PM, Mike Bauers mwbauers55@wi.rr.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > What I would like to see is similar to the problem reporting 'app' I had on the Amiga, as long ago as that was. > > It would report just what the program was looking for, where it was looking, and failed to find. Then it was a simple matter to find what was not found and put it where the program was looking for it. Sometimes it was a matter of downloading that 'element', often enough it was just the program looking in a place other than where that element was. Resolving the conflict by putting what it was seeking, where it was seeking was a quick and lasting fix. > > The trick was knowing why the program failed and that app provided the info. T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.10.2 # Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.10.2 magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

I understand all that you are 'saying'.I take issue with your assumption that users don't want to know how to fix a problematic program. I'll grant that half of the population is below average by definition. But most people do want to be able to have their software run. While some in the VCR era had VCR clock displays of a flashing '12:00', much of the population could and did properly set and use their VCR-clock-timer.If it's just a matter of something running that is conflicting, and they can stop that conflicting operation once learning what it is, they will happily stop the conflicting app or other program if not needed by the system, [the report should also tell them that is allowed] and then use the program they desire to be running, without a problem. Learning what and where allows this.If it's a matter of something is missing in the system and that is why the program is failing, they want to be able to add what is missing and again use the program without problems. Learning what and where allows this.If it's a matter of the program simply being flawed and failing due to bad coding, letting the user see that spelled out in black and white at least allows the user to get the programer to correct the program in the knowledge that it's nothing the user can fix on his/her/other own.Most users are not the idiots that some others happen to be. While some really needed a Web-TV instead of a true computer.I'll look into the help programs you mentioned, maybe one will suit my needs. Best to ya,Mike BauersMilwaukee, Wi On Mar 29, 2015, at 10:08 AM, 'William H. Magill' magill@mac.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:All of that said. There are "dump analyzers" available which will diagnose things in much more minute detail than is presented to the "end-user."Why?Mainly because the "end-user" today simply does not care "why a program crashes" -- they simply want to try-again, and the time needed to analyze a dump is much more than they are willing to spend.As in  Medical Diagnosis -- there are far more complaints about vague symptoms than there are tests to identify the cause of those symptoms. There  is really no difference between the complaints -- "I don't feel good" and "My program crashed." Both describe valid conditions, but it is up to the experience of the diagnostician to begin asking questions to determine that -- Yes, when you hit your toe with a hammer it hurts, so stop doing it.Customer support is a fun profession. :)
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

Mike B.I did too restart this computer just some little thing.
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

I sent the file now.