Enlarging Photos

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Dan Shafer

Enlarging Photos

Post by Dan Shafer »

I am obviously blind or senile. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to simply enlarge a photo in GC9.I have a small number of photos in a large collection that are formatted strangely, apparently as a result of a camera setting or some such. The images are tucked into the upper left corner of a largely blank canvas. All I want to do is crop them out of the larger canvas and increase their size so they're in the neighborhood of 1024x768 or a little less so I can import them into an iMovie project.I've spent an hour reading the manual, trying to dope this out, to no avail. I've had to find a workaround for this project, but can someone please tell me how easy this is to do and provide step-by-step instructions? I'm used to creating stuff from scratch and using provided materials pretty much as is in GC, which I've been using for years but this is the first time I"ve encountered this requirement.Dan
thorstenlemke

Re: Enlarging Photos

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Dan,you can simple enlarge the display size with the little popup at the bottom left of the window.You can scale the image pixels with Picture/Size/Scale.Maybe just e-mail one sample file and I will make a little video tutorial.Thorsten I am obviously blind or senile. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to simply enlarge a photo in GC9.I have a small number of photos in a large collection that are formatted strangely, apparently as a result of a camera setting or some such. The images are tucked into the upper left corner of a largely blank canvas. All I want to do is crop them out of the larger canvas and increase their size so they're in the neighborhood of 1024x768 or a little less so I can import them into an iMovie project.I've spent an hour reading the manual, trying to dope this out, to no avail. I've had to find a workaround for this project, but can someone please tell me how easy this is to do and provide step-by-step instructions? I'm used to creating stuff from scratch and using provided materials pretty much as is in GC, which I've been using for years but this is the first time I"ve encountered this requirement.Dan
Robert Ameeti

Post by Robert Ameeti »

Use the Selection tool to drag the rectangle that would better be the image (instead of the large canvas). Edit menu. Crop Selection.Picture menu. Size / Scale to the size you want. Robert Ameeti(949) 422-6866 On Apr 29, 2015, at 1:05 PM, Dan Shafer dan@DANSHAFER.COM [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I am obviously blind or senile. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to simply enlarge a photo in GC9.I have a small number of photos in a large collection that are formatted strangely, apparently as a result of a camera setting or some such. The images are tucked into the upper left corner of a largely blank canvas. All I want to do is crop them out of the larger canvas and increase their size so they're in the neighborhood of 1024x768 or a little less so I can import them into an iMovie project.I've spent an hour reading the manual, trying to dope this out, to no avail. I've had to find a workaround for this project, but can someone please tell me how easy this is to do and provide step-by-step instructions? I'm used to creating stuff from scratch and using provided materials pretty much as is in GC, which I've been using for years but this is the first time I"ve encountered this requirement.Dan
Peter Fackelmann

Post by Peter Fackelmann »

The result is not quite thrilling. I scanned a photo on paper and tried to enlarge the scanned image (OK, that’s a special case). GC, Smilla, Vectormagic didn’t yield a good result. My solution: I photographed the paper picture with a digital camera with high resolution. That image could be enlarged then. I learned that from a TV team. Regards Peter > Am 30.04.2015 um 07:17 schrieb Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>: > > > > Dear Dan, > > you can simple enlarge the display size with the little popup at the bottom left of the window. > > You can scale the image pixels with Picture/Size/Scale. > > Maybe just e-mail one sample file and I will make a little video tutorial. > > Thorsten >> >> I am obviously blind or senile. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to simply enlarge a photo in GC9. >> >> I have a small number of photos in a large collection that are formatted strangely, apparently as a result of a camera setting or some such. The images are tucked into the upper left corner of a largely blank canvas. All I want to do is crop them out of the larger canvas and increase their size so they're in the neighborhood of 1024x768 or a little less so I can import them into an iMovie project. >> >> I've spent an hour reading the manual, trying to dope this out, to no avail. I've had to find a workaround for this project, but can someone please tell me how easy this is to do and provide step-by-step instructions? I'm used to creating stuff from scratch and using provided materials pretty much as is in GC, which I've been using for years but this is the first time I"ve encountered this requirement. >> >> Dan >> > > > > Support NSA and GCHQ - Write in English Soutiens DGSE - a�cris en frana�ais
Robert Ameeti

Post by Robert Ameeti »

What was not stated was the resolution of the scanned photo. When that scan was done, it could have been at a low resolution compared to what was possible via settings. If the scan was done at a low resolution, then it was enlarged, the dots would not have been there to make a good result. You can only enlarge to then see dots that your eye might not otherwise be noticing. Robert Ameeti On Apr 30, 2015, at 5:13 AM, Peter Fackelmann pfackelmann@gmx.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:The result is not quite thrilling.I scanned a photo on paper and tried to enlarge the scanned image (OK, that’s a special case).GC, Smilla, Vectormagic didn’t yield a good result.My solution:I photographed the paper picture with a digital camera with high resolution.That image could be enlarged then.I learned that from a TV team.RegardsPeter> Am 30.04.2015 um 07:17 schrieb Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>:> > > > Dear Dan,> > you can simple enlarge the display size with the little popup at the bottom left of the window.> > You can scale the image pixels with Picture/Size/Scale.> > Maybe just e-mail one sample file and I will make a little video tutorial.> > Thorsten>> >> I am obviously blind or senile. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to simply enlarge a photo in GC9.>> >> I have a small number of photos in a large collection that are formatted strangely, apparently as a result of a camera setting or some such. The images are tucked into the upper left corner of a largely blank canvas. All I want to do is crop them out of the larger canvas and increase their size so they're in the neighborhood of 1024x768 or a little less so I can import them into an iMovie project.>> >> I've spent an hour reading the manual, trying to dope this out, to no avail. I've had to find a workaround for this project, but can someone please tell me how easy this is to do and provide step-by-step instructions? I'm used to creating stuff from scratch and using provided materials pretty much as is in GC, which I've been using for years but this is the first time I"ve encountered this requirement.>> >> Dan>> > > > > Support NSA and GCHQ - Write in EnglishSoutiens DGSE - a�cris en frana�ais
Peter Fackelmann

Post by Peter Fackelmann »

Robert - I tried 2400 dpi - Epson Scan told me that’s too large. With 1200 dpi the quality was as described. Regards Peter > Am 30.04.2015 um 15:45 schrieb Robert Ameeti robert@ameeti.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>: > > > > What was not stated was the resolution of the scanned photo. When that scan was done, it could have been at a low resolution compared to what was possible via settings. If the scan was done at a low resolution, then it was enlarged, the dots would not have been there to make a good result. You can only enlarge to then see dots that your eye might not otherwise be noticing. > > Robert Ameeti > > > >> On Apr 30, 2015, at 5:13 AM, Peter Fackelmann pfackelmann@gmx.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: >> >> The result is not quite thrilling. >> I scanned a photo on paper and tried to enlarge the scanned image (OK, that’s a special case). >> GC, Smilla, Vectormagic didn’t yield a good result. >> My solution: >> I photographed the paper picture with a digital camera with high resolution. >> That image could be enlarged then. >> I learned that from a TV team. >> >> Regards >> >> Peter >> >> > Am 30.04.2015 um 07:17 schrieb Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>: >> > >> > >> > >> > Dear Dan, >> > >> > you can simple enlarge the display size with the little popup at the bottom left of the window. >> > >> > You can scale the image pixels with Picture/Size/Scale. >> > >> > Maybe just e-mail one sample file and I will make a little video tutorial. >> > >> > Thorsten >> >> >> >> I am obviously blind or senile. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to simply enlarge a photo in GC9. >> >> >> >> I have a small number of photos in a large collection that are formatted strangely, apparently as a result of a camera setting or some such. The images are tucked into the upper left corner of a largely blank canvas. All I want to do is crop them out of the larger canvas and increase their size so they're in the neighborhood of 1024x768 or a little less so I can import them into an iMovie project. >> >> >> >> I've spent an hour reading the manual, trying to dope this out, to no avail. I've had to find a workaround for this project, but can someone please tell me how easy this is to do and provide step-by-step instructions? I'm used to creating stuff from scratch and using provided materials pretty much as is in GC, which I've been using for years but this is the first time I"ve encountered this requirement. >> >> >> >> Dan >> >> >> > >> > >> > >> > >> >> Support NSA and GCHQ - Write in English >> Soutiens DGSE - a�cris en frana�ais >> >> > > > > Support NSA and GCHQ - Write in English Soutiens DGSE - a�cris en frana�ais