Scan

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
thorstenlemke

Re: Scan

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Peter,TWAIN is only an interface to call the driver. I call the driver the standard way. If it does crash: that is a driver issue.Thorsten Thorsten -but shouldn’t it work with TWAIN?RegardsPeter
Peter Fackelmann

Post by Peter Fackelmann »

From the Gutenprint manual: Gutenprint supports only the printer part of multi-function devices (devices that typically include scanning, copying, and fax capabilities). For scanning, please see the SANE project (http://www.sane- project.org). Peter > Am 04.07.2015 um 20:40 schrieb Michel Tribet michel.tribet@orange.fr [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>: > > > > Just thinking : Did you try "Gutenprint" : It worked for me with an old Canon MP 610, maybe it can work for you too ! > > 2015-07-04 20:32 GMT+02:00 James Plante jimplante@me.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>: > > As an acquaintance of mine put it, “You can’t use Twain on the new Mac OS’s; it’s been defecated.” > > He meant “deprecated” of course, but he’s prone to malapropisms. It’s still true, though: Twain doesn’t work on Mac’s any more. Try image capture, but don’t get your hopes up. > > Jim >> On Jul 4, 2015, at 1:24 PM, Mike Bauers mwbauers55@wi.rr.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: >> >> >> I got that hoping it would fix the problem. But I found I still needed the updated drivers and a search online found a lot of folks with the same problem. >> >> I've looked up how to run an older OS in my iMac and worst case is I can continue to use my old MacBook with its older Mac OS for that scanner. The handy thing about that is the once quite expensive docking attachment for that old laptop became very inexpensive and now I can easily dock with the rest of the newer Macs USB network and other gear as well as share the second monitor with the iMac. >> >> Between booting the iMac into an older OS or tying on the MacBook, I can still use that Canon scanner with the obsolete drivers. Maybe even if I Fusion the iMac to run both OS's at once... Or under Windows. >> >> It's a bother, but I do have several options. With the older OS route I can still use an older version of GC directly with that scanner. Might be the hard way to do it, but it's still all Mac. >> >> >> >> Mike Bauers >> Sent from my iPhone >> >> >> On Jul 4, 2015, at 12:54 PM, "Robert Poland rpoland@usa.net [gcmac]" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: >> >>> >>>> On Jul 4, 2015, at 11:51:AM, Mike Bauers mwbauers55@wi.rr.com[gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: >>>> >>>> Be glad it works at all. >>>> >>>> I have a darned nice Canon scanner that they refused to update the drivers a couple of OS versions ago. It simply can not be used by anything without those updated drivers. >>>> >>>> My only recourse is to use that scanner with an older version of Mac or a Windows OS and port the scans into my up to date Mac. >>> >>> Have you tried VueScan http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/4763/vuescan >>> >>> Mike Bauers >>>> Sent from my iPhone >>>> >>>> >>>>> >> > > > > > > Support NSA and GCHQ - Write in English Soutiens DGSE - a�cris en frana�ais
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

I hate to contradict, but TWAIN does work on the new Mac OS (!at least on my seven-year old iMac)!Not willingly, nor without problems, but it does work - as long as the scanner has the right drivers.I have a Canon MG5150 on which TWAIN worked without problems upto and including Mavericks. When I upgraded to Yos 2, it became very temperamental :-( For a while, it worked only after new drivers were installed, and until a Reset - then drivers again.Well, perhaps I should clarify that; it always worked with Canon’s own TWAIN software, but with GC it suffered a two minute delay (frenetic activity by Image Capture Extension) before starting. Killing Image Capture Extension cured that but rendered Image Capture useless.Thorsten was never able to account for the fact that Canon could use TWAIN OK, but GC could not.Fortunately, the problem went away with Yos 3, and Yos 4 has not reintroduced it. So Apple must have changed something.Exhaustive tests showed that it was not related to 32/64 bit working and was not specific to my model of iMac.Unless I had zapped Image Capture Extension, Image capture always worked. But the images were of poorer quality and the level of control over the scanner was lacking.John. On 4 Jul 2015, at 19:32, James Plante jimplante@me.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:As an acquaintance of mine put it, “You can’t use Twain on the new Mac OS’s; it’s been defecated.” He meant “deprecated” of course, but he’s prone to malapropisms. It’s still true, though: Twain doesn’t work on Mac’s any more. Try image capture, but don’t get your hopes up. 
James Plante

Post by James Plante »

John,Maybe my acquaintance stated it more precisely than I gave him credit for :-)On my younger iMac, Image Capture would work, but as you say, poorly. VueScan did work, so that’s what I’ve been using. I really like that program. We may have some more sleuthing to do after El Capitan is released, though.Jim On Jul 5, 2015, at 3:25 AM, John Hill john@yclept.wanadoo.co.uk [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I hate to contradict, but TWAIN does work on the new Mac OS (!at least on my seven-year old iMac)!Not willingly, nor without problems, but it does work - as long as the scanner has the right drivers.I have a Canon MG5150 on which TWAIN worked without problems upto and including Mavericks. When I upgraded to Yos 2, it became very temperamental :-( For a while, it worked only after new drivers were installed, and until a Reset - then drivers again.Well, perhaps I should clarify that; it always worked with Canon’s own TWAIN software, but with GC it suffered a two minute delay (frenetic activity by Image Capture Extension) before starting. Killing Image Capture Extension cured that but rendered Image Capture useless.Thorsten was never able to account for the fact that Canon could use TWAIN OK, but GC could not.Fortunately, the problem went away with Yos 3, and Yos 4 has not reintroduced it. So Apple must have changed something.Exhaustive tests showed that it was not related to 32/64 bit working and was not specific to my model of iMac.Unless I had zapped Image Capture Extension, Image capture always worked. But the images were of poorer quality and the level of control over the scanner was lacking.John.On 4 Jul 2015, at 19:32, James Plante jimplante@me.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:As an acquaintance of mine put it, “You can’t use Twain on the new Mac OS’s; it’s been defecated.” He meant “deprecated” of course, but he’s prone to malapropisms. It’s still true, though: Twain doesn’t work on Mac’s any more. Try image capture, but don’t get your hopes up. 
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

I did check on the Sane project for this Canon 600f scanner and the thing is locked up in effect by Canon with no information on the drivers allowed to the project. Thus the scanner is unsupported. I think I saw that Canon only supported it up to OS 10.7. For now, I’ve dowloaded and ported in the proper drivers for my MacBook 1,1 that is still using OS 10.5 While inconvenient, I can then use the scanner with the MacBook and later port over the images to my current iMac. My old install of GC 5.9 is on that system and still works just fine. I did get Gutenprint for a HP 920 inkjet I’m returning to surface for its refillable ink cartridges and its marked economy over other color inkjets. Thanks guys for the help……. There are other reasons why I need to run an older Mac OS on my iMac for occasional use. I have some installed data dvd’s that won’t run under 10.10 and the maker refuses to update the drivers for them. Until I get set-up with a second boot into that OS, I’m not using 10.10 on the iMac. It was a real shock to see this happen with my MacMini that I upped to 10.10. I’m glad I didn’t rush into 10.10 for the iMac as well. Best to ya, Mike Bauers Milwaukee, Wi > On Jul 5, 2015, at 3:34 AM, Peter Fackelmann wrote: > > From the Gutenprint manual: > > > Gutenprint supports only the printer part of multi-function devices (devices that typically include scanning, copying, and fax capabilities). For scanning, please see the SANE project (http://www.sane- project.org). > > Peter > > >> Am 04.07.2015 um 20:40 schrieb Michel Tribet michel.tribet@orange.fr [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>: >> >> >> >> Just thinking : Did you try "Gutenprint" : It worked for me with an old Canon MP 610, maybe it can work for you too ! >> >> 2015-07-04 20:32 GMT+02:00 James Plante jimplante@me.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>: >> >> As an acquaintance of mine put it, “You can’t use Twain on the new Mac OS’s; it’s been defecated.” >> >> He meant “deprecated” of course, but he’s prone to malapropisms. It’s still true, though: Twain doesn’t work on Mac’s any more. Try image capture, but don’t get your hopes up. >> >> Jim >>> On Jul 4, 2015, at 1:24 PM, Mike Bauers mwbauers55@wi.rr.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: >>> >>> >>> I got that hoping it would fix the problem. But I found I still needed the updated drivers and a search online found a lot of folks with the same problem. >>> >>> I've looked up how to run an older OS in my iMac and worst case is I can continue to use my old MacBook with its older Mac OS for that scanner.