Convert image to use a restricted color palette

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
macfreeknl

Convert image to use a restricted color palette

Post by macfreeknl »

Hi,I'm trying to do two things:Create a restricted color palette (with about 16 colours)Convert an image to only use colours from this color palette.The actual use case is that I like to recreate an image with tiles in real life, and want to get a sense how this will look with a limited number of colours.Any help accomplishing either task would be highly appreciated!I'm have trouble accomplishing this. For starters, the current version of GC does not allow me to create a palette-based image. In the "New Image..." dialog, the Depth pop-up only allows me to choose 32- or 64- bit colour depths, but not 8-bit, let alone index-based color palettes.The Pictures > Colors > Change Color Usage Dynamically ... option seems to reduce the amount of colours used, but does not change the depth of the image to a palette. The Colors > Reduce to Palette submenu seems very promissing, but the Dither option does not seem to do anything, and the "Show Palettes in Finder" opens a empty folder.I can't seem to show a color palette in the first place. Even if I open a GIF image (whose file format uses a index of 256 colours), when I click the foreground colour in the toolbox, it opens the OS system colour picker, rather then showing the color palette of that GIF file.When I try to save any random image as a "Color Table (*.PAL)" I get a non-descript error that the document could not be saved (without telling why not).I could not find any information in the manual, and whatever I found on-line seemed to apply to older versions of GraphicConverter (6 or earlier).Yesterday, I bought an upgrade to GC 9, due to the announced feature "Reduce to Palette" in GC 9.6 (I only had licences for GC 1, GC 4, GC 6 and GC 7 previously), but didn't see this feature.In short, I'm at a complete loss here.Any help is highly appreciated!Regards,Freek Dijkstra
thorstenlemke

Re: Convert image to use a restricted color palette

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi Freek,GraphicConverter 8 or later is completly rewritten in cocoa.So, only 8,16 bit grayscale and 32/64 bit color is supported.The image is reduced to a palette for saving as GIF. It will use the i.e. 16 colors exactly if the image uses only the 16 colors.Thorsten Hi,I'm trying to do two things:Create a restricted color palette (with about 16 colours)Convert an image to only use colours from this color palette.The actual use case is that I like to recreate an image with tiles in real life, and want to get a sense how this will look with a limited number of colours.
macfreeknl

Post by macfreeknl »

So I can no longer use GraphicConverter for this task?Any suggestion what application to use? GC7? Some other tool or plugin?
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,just download GraphicConverter 7.x for this.Thorsten So I can no longer use GraphicConverter for this task?Any suggestion what application to use? GC7? Some other tool or plugin?