Constraining selection to match base image dimensions

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
John Faughnan

Constraining selection to match base image dimensions

Post by John Faughnan »

This is too elementary a question for this group, but I have purchased and read both the standard manual and the aftermarket manual, and I still can't figure out how to do something that should be very simple. I want to be able to make a constrained rectangular selection from an image. For example, I want to "select all" then hold shift down, then drag and have the section keep the proportions of the base image dimensions. (In fact shift-select constrains a rectangle to a square.) iPhoto gives me several selection constraint options, albeit a bit less sophisticated than this approach. I'm sure GraphicConverter can handle this. I want my selected image to be suitable for printing to 4x6 photos (as a 35mm negative is), so it has to match these constraints (2:3). I KNOW GC must support this, but I can't figure out how. Sorry. I used GC many years ago, it's a pleasure to be back to the Mac with my iBook and OS X. I'm looking forward to the 4.5 update, I'll gladly pay my update fee. iPhoto and GC together are a very powerful set of tools (esp. when one uses the various iPhoto add-ons, such as the "betterHTML" templates and the Library Manager. john jfaughnan@spamcop.net www.faughnan.com
Philippe Bonnaure

Re: Constraining selection to match base image dimensions

Post by Philippe Bonnaure »

Le 21/10/02 0:51, « John Faughnan » <jfaughnan@yahoo.com> a ecrit : > This is too elementary a question for this group, but I have > purchased and read both the standard manual and the aftermarket > manual, and I still can't figure out how to do something that should > be very simple. > > I want to be able to make a constrained rectangular selection from an > image. For example, I want to "select all" then hold shift down, then > drag and have the section keep the proportions of the base image > dimensions. (In fact shift-select constrains a rectangle to a square.) Double click on the selection tool in the tool palette. You get a window were you can check an define the Aspect ratio. Done ;-) Philippe Bonnaure