Importing Canon RAW files

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
John Faughnan

Importing Canon RAW files

Post by John Faughnan »

Canon's RAW image import utility is a classic app that (v2.02) will run under OS X, but must be installed under true classic. Canon's tool handles the image differently depending upon what camera you set it to use for reference. Canon's RAW->TIFF conversion outputs a 20+MB TIFF. GC will import RAW files. The compressed TIFF output is only 6MB (in other words Canon's TIFF is uncompressed). GC is fast and elegant, but the images are bluish compared to the Canon output (and to reality). I'm told that in the past Canon has been very uncooperative about documenting their file format. It's a miracle GC can output anything! Has this changed at all? Will GC potentially be able to produce "Canon-style" TIFF output? Thanks, john [meta: 021021, jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, iPhoto, conversion, Canon G2, RAW, import, export, Mac, OS X, Raw Image Converter 202, RIM202]
thorstenlemke

Re: Importing Canon RAW files

Post by thorstenlemke »

Am 27.10.2002 0:27 Uhr schrieb "John Faughnan" unter <jfaughnan@yahoo.com>: > Canon's RAW image import utility is a classic app that (v2.02) will run under > OS X, but must be installed under true classic. Canon's tool handles the image > differently depending upon what camera you set it to use for reference. > > Canon's RAW->TIFF conversion outputs a 20+MB TIFF. > > GC will import RAW files. The compressed TIFF output is only 6MB (in other > words Canon's TIFF is uncompressed). GC is fast and elegant, but the images > are bluish compared to the Canon output (and to reality). > > I'm told that in the past Canon has been very uncooperative about documenting > their file format. It's a miracle GC can output anything! Has this changed at > all? Will GC potentially be able to produce "Canon-style" TIFF output? Hello, the problem is: I have no technical file format details. The CANON raw file is in general a dump of the ccd (I think 12 bit). This information needs color corrections (depending on the ccd). But CANON didn´t give any details to me about this (as other manufactures, too). regards Thorsten Lemke
John Faughnan

Post by John Faughnan »

--- In graphicconverterforum@y..., lemkesoft@t... wrote: > the problem is: I have no technical file format details. > The CANON raw file is in general a dump of the ccd (I think > 12 bit). > This information needs color corrections (depending on the ccd). > But CANON didn´t give any details to me about this (as other The more I learn about RAW, the less I like it. Canon claims it's more compact than TIFF, but that's only true of uncompressed TIFF. Canon's RAW converter produces a 28MB TIFF, but GC will shrink that (LZW-predictive) to about 6-8MB, roughly the same as the RAW file. So we'd be better off if Canon gave up on RAW and implemented TIFF compression or PNG. Do you have any thoughts on ways to "encourage" Canon to cooperate? I've sent an email via their support channel. I'd guess the main leverage over Canon is Apple, which isn't saying much. Any thoughts? john
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Am 27.10.2002 15:33 Uhr schrieb "John Faughnan" unter <jfaughnan@yahoo.com>: > Do you have any thoughts on ways to "encourage" Canon to cooperate? > I've sent an email via their support channel. I'd guess the main > leverage over Canon is Apple, which isn't saying much. Hello, the problem is: Canon didn´t publish any file format details. Thorsten