crop to fixed size

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
aldan

crop to fixed size

Post by aldan »

I used the search box of the forum to search for "crop to fixed size", and I got this:
"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: crop fixed size to.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards."

So I'm sorry for my common words, and also for asking this question that I'm sure, was asked before, just have no way to get to it.

I want to first set my custom size, then draw a rectangle that would keep the proportions of my size, then crop the photo and when GC does that, the resulting photo should have the dimensions of my custom size. Can I do this in Graphic Converter?

alex
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: crop to fixed size

Post by forum_adm »

Just click onto the popup at the bottom of the toolbox.
Select your aspect ratio or define a custom.

Now select the selection tool and make your selection with that ratio.

Press return to crop the selection.

Thats all.

Just reply if I should make a short tutorial movie.

Thorsten
aldan

Post by aldan »

hi Thorsten,

got it, thanks

In my case, I needed to have some pictures cropped to a specific size so they fit in different spots of a website template, so with this in mind, I have some observations:
- it's a 2 step process, since it calculates the aspect ratio of the numbers entered and not the actual numbers of pixels, so after setting the numbers in the user-defined boxes and cropping, still have to go to Picture > Size > Scale to get the exact dimensions I need. I saw the "Return crops and scale selection" in the Marquee options dialog, but then I can't save different settings
- only 4 user-defined spots?...
- When an aspect ratio is in effect, the area selected with the marquee tool shouldn't show more than the corner handles to change the selection, the other ones make the selection loose the aspect ratio.
- might be nice to be able to also rotate the selection before cropping

thanks
Alex
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Ah - just double click onto the selection tool.
An click onto the tab: Crop
Enter your desired value.
Now make the selection.
All will be done automatically.
aldan

Post by aldan »

yes, I saw that, thanks

Alex