[Solved] Caption can not be edited

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
matti

[Solved] Caption can not be edited

Post by matti »

I have a few .jpg files where editing the IPTC Caption silently fails to save in GC 10.6.9. It took a while before I noticed my edits didn't stick.

I did some tests and "Delete Exif Image Description Tags" and "Remove Camera Metadata..." seem to fix the problem without deleting any important info (EXIF date, Caption, Keywords, location, rating). In the past I just nuked all metadata but a more elegant approach would be nice.

Is "Delete Exif Image Description Tags" the best way to fix this?

I wonder how that error got into some random files (scanned as .tif, exported as .jpg from Lightroom, mangled metadata in GC).
matti

Re: Caption can not be edited

Post by matti »

The edited Caption is displayed only if I make it longer (in a test file the Caption must be longer than 43 characters for it to display). If I shorten it back, the old Caption is displayed again.

It seems the old nagging Caption is in the IFDO Image Description. It seems I can delete it via "Delete Exif Image Description Tags" without touching vital other metadata (Keywords, EXIF dates, locations, ratings).

After that editing Captions works as expected. Is that the recommended fix?

I wonder what workflow produced that error into some random files (scanned as .tif, some Captions added in GC, exported as .jpg from Lightroom, Captions, Keywords, EXIF dates, locations, ratings, tags edited in GC). I guess it is a good idea to run that command in all my 1000 images that might have the same error?
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Caption can not be edited

Post by forum_adm »

The Image Description Tag overwrites the IPTC caption if it is longer.

The Image Description Tag is very old and obsolete now. It was replaced by IPTC/XMP caption.

Please download the latest BETA:
http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html

I added now an option to automatically delete that tag during editing the caption. Just check the option.

Thorsten
Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 07.57.49.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 07.57.49.jpg (212.69 KiB) Viewed 4214 times
matti

Re: [Solved] Caption can not be edited

Post by matti »

Thanks, now it works perfectly!

Is this the default setting or is there some reason someone might want to preserve those obsolete IFDO Image Descriptions after they are transferred to IPTC/XMP Captions?
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: [Solved] Caption can not be edited

Post by forum_adm »

I check it currently not by default. Because most cameras/apps do not write this obsolete field.