What happened to the scrollbars?

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
DRC

What happened to the scrollbars?

Post by DRC »

I upgraded to what I thought was a bug-fix release, but the scrollbars are no longer visible when zoomed in. They only appear if I pan the image in some other way, such as using a hotkey, but when they appear, they're dark and hard to see. I looked for a setting to restore the previous behavior but couldn't find one.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: What happened to the scrollbars?

Post by forum_adm »

Hi,

the scrollbars appear normally if you scroll with the scroll gesture.
Which version cause the problem?

Thorsten
DRC

Post by DRC »

I noticed it when updating from 10.7.1 to 10.7.2. When I crop images, I usually zoom in 100% (Command-=) in order to adjust the selection rectangle with single-pixel accuracy (which isn't possible when zoomed out.) However, that often requires panning the image while it is zoomed in with an active selection rectangle. The new scrollbar behavior makes it difficult or impossible to do that. I can use the mouse scroll wheel to pan vertically but not horizontally. Since there is an active selection rectangle, I can't use the arrow keys to pan the image, because that would nudge the selected portion of the image instead. I just think the simplest way around the problem is to revert to the old scrollbar behavior. Note that I tried setting "Show scroll bars" to "Always" in the General applet of the macOS System Preferences, in case GC was taking advantage of that O/S feature, but changing that setting and restarting GC had no effect. I also tried various modifier keys with the mouse scroll wheel, attempting to find a combination that would pan horizontally.

The irony of the new behavior is that the scrollbars don't appear unless you start panning the image in some other way, such as using the arrow keys. That seems to defeat the purpose of having scrollbars.
DRC

Post by DRC »

I just found 10.7 in one of my backups and verified that it behaves correctly, so this does indeed appear to be new behavior in 10.7.2, as I observed.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Hi,

please download the 10.7.3 which fixes the issue (if permanent scrollbars are active in the system settings):

http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html

Thorsten
DRC

Post by DRC »

Confirmed that the scrollbars are back, as long as "Show scroll bars" is set to "Always" or "Automatically..." in the System Preferences-->General applet. Thanks for the fix!
RoamingBob

Post by RoamingBob »

Are you fellows referring to the Cadintosh version number? You mention 10.7 and 10.7.3?

My app shows 8.4.4 and an update check shows this as the latest version. The Beta site that Thorsten mention shows a Cadintosh 8.4.5....

I don't mean to sound picky. I'm just trying to follow along with the smart kids at the front of the classroom....

Thanks,
- Bob