removing "dust" from scanned images

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Tom Muller

removing "dust" from scanned images

Post by Tom Muller »

I've tried several ways to "remove" dust from scanned images. Is there an ideal tool or method in GC to do this? Thanks, Tom
BillBoyle

Re: removing "dust" from scanned images

Post by BillBoyle »

Tom, As silly as it might seem make sure the original has been cleaned before you scan it. I have made the mistake of scanning in the dust, which I could have easily wiped off, too many times. Bill > I've tried several ways to "remove" dust from scanned images. Is > there an ideal tool or method in GC to do this? > > Thanks, > > Tom > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > graphicconverterforum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >
Robert Wilkinson

Scaling of photos

Post by Robert Wilkinson »

I have made a lot of slide scans, and when I view them on GC, they always appear as a complete picture, scaled to 24%. Yet when I view my digital photographs in GC, they always appear at 100%, just showing the top LH corner of the picture on the screen. Can you tell me why this is, and how I can control it? Bob Wilkinson
thorstenlemke

Re: Scaling of photos

Post by thorstenlemke »

Am 14.01.2003 19:58 Uhr schrieb "Robert Wilkinson" unter <rhw@hogholes.com>: > I have made a lot of slide scans, and when I view them on GC, they > always appear as a complete picture, scaled to 24%. Yet when I view > my digital photographs in GC, they always appear at 100%, just > showing the top LH corner of the picture on the screen. Can you tell > me why this is, and how I can control it? > > Bob Wilkinson > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > graphicconverterforum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > Hello, this depends on the resolution of the image. Simple go to the prefs part general/display and select the desired display size. Regards Thorsten ----------------------------------------------------------------- Thorsten Lemke Lemke Software GmbH Erich-Heckel-Ring 8a 31228 Peine Germany Phone: +49 5171 72200 and 0700 LEMKESOFT (second only in Germany) Fax: +49 5171 72201 WWW: http://www.lemkesoft.com E-Mail:support@graphicconverter.net -----------------------------------------------------------------
George Slusher

Re: Scaling of photos

Post by George Slusher »

>I have made a lot of slide scans, and when I view them on GC, they >always appear as a complete picture, scaled to 24%. Yet when I view >my digital photographs in GC, they always appear at 100%, just >showing the top LH corner of the picture on the screen. Can you tell >me why this is, and how I can control it? > >Bob Wilkinson Bob: GC has several ways to display pictures in the "Default Zoom"--i.e., the scaling it starts with. Go to the preferences, then Display content under General. You probably have the WYSIWYG option checked. That option means that GC will display the picture at the ppi/dpi (pixels per inch, which refers to displays, or dots per inch, which refers to scanners and printers) of the image. When you scan an image, you choose the dpi (e.g., 200 dpi) based upon what you're going to use it for. The dpi information is stored with the image. When GC opens the image, it will scale the display so that it shows the same dpi--IOW, so that the image on the screen is the same PHYSICAL size as the original image, ergo, WYSIWYG. (I'm not sure if GC senses or knows the base ppi of the display or if it assumes some number; the Mac "standard" is supposed to be 72 ppi, but various displays may have more. PCs don't have a "standard," but they tend to be 90-100 ppi. My 15" flatpanel iMac is about 86 ppi.) Let's assume that your screen is 80 ppi for convenience. If the image says that it is at 150 dpi, then GC will show the image scaled to 80/150 or 53%. If the image says that it is at 200 dpi, GC will show it scaled to 80/200 = 40%, and so on. When you take a digital photograph, OTOH, it probably doesn't have and "dpi" information, as that would be meaningless. In that case, GC would probably default to displaying pictures at 100%. One way to get around this is to choose "Shrink to fit screen" in Preferences -> General -> Display Content. That will shrink images to fit on the screen (including the window frame, etc.). If the image will fit on the screen as-is, it will be shown at 100%. You can also choose "Shrink to fit, constrain zoom ratio." That will constrain the zoom ratio (scaling) to one of the "integer" choices--67% (2/3), 50%, 33% (1/3), etc. That may result in a better-looking image on the screen as opposed to 27%, 48%, etc. George Slusher/Eugene, OR gslusher@rio.com