GraphicConverter in OS 9.2.1 and HP OfficeJet d145: SLOW printing!

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Beverly McGuire

GraphicConverter in OS 9.2.1 and HP OfficeJet d145: SLOW printing!

Post by Beverly McGuire »

I'm new to this group. I've been a registered user of GraphicConverter for many years. I usually use version 2.8, sometimes 3.6.1. My computer is a G4, and I'm using OS 9.2.1. Last week I got a new all-in-one printer, an HP OfficeJet d145. I quickly discovered that it doesn't work well with two of the applications I use frequently: GraphicConverter (any version - I also downloaded 4.5.4, and it's just as bad as the two I already had) and Adobe Acrobat Reader. It prints files from the MS Office apps and SimpleText and my browser just fine. Haven't tried any other apps yet. To give you an idea, a 1216x2087 pixel, 600KB jpeg in 16.7 million colors took about 7 minutes to print in Normal mode. Now that is slow! If I switch to Draft it prints quickly, but the output is poor quality. I've tried adding memory to GraphicConverter. That makes a small difference, but not much. Per the advice of HP tech support, I downloaded the latest driver from the HP Web site yesterday, but that doesn't help much either. I'm planning to call HP again later today or sometime tomorrow to see if they've got any other suggestions. The tech support person told me HP is aware that there are problems with some applications and is looking for solutions. In the meantime I'm trying to find solutions and trying to decide whether to get a different printer. That's a pain, though, and this one really is very nice. Does anyone here have any suggestions for improving the printing performance of GraphicConverter with my new printer? Thanks! Beverly McGuire
Richard D. Foley

Re: GraphicConverter in OS 9.2.1 and HP OfficeJet d145: SLOW printi

Post by Richard D. Foley »

I don't know if there is some rational barrier to you upgrading to MAC OS 9.2.2 but it might improve your situation.  Secondly, if there is a way you might add memory allocation to HP printing services.  I would also recommend you increasing the memory allocation to GraphicConverter.  Finally, although you may have the ability (even if it is slow) you may need to print at a lower resolution of the originating file.  Certainly, those images that appear on your screen or web pages can not display these higher resolutions.  My understanding (may be misunderstanding) of these higher resolutions is so that when you edit them in a program like photoshop, or make a major enlargement of a small area of the original total, you will not loose details.  Perhaps someone with greater knowledge can address these issues. - Good luck! Beverly McGuire wrote: I'm new to this group. I've been a registered user of GraphicConverter for many years. I usually use version 2.8, sometimes 3.6.1. My computer is a G4, and I'm using OS 9.2.1. Last week I got a new all-in-one printer, an HP OfficeJet d145. I quickly discovered that it doesn't work well with two of the applications I use frequently: GraphicConverter (any version - I also downloaded 4.5.4, and it's just as bad as the two I already had) and Adobe Acrobat Reader. It prints files from the MS Office apps and SimpleText and my browser just fine. Haven't tried any other apps yet. To give you an idea, a 1216x2087 pixel, 600KB jpeg in 16.7 million colors took about 7 minutes to print in Normal mode. Now that is slow! If I switch to Draft it prints quickly, but the output is poor quality. I've tried adding memory to GraphicConverter. That makes a small difference, but not much. Per the advice of HP tech support, I downloaded the latest driver from the HP Web site yesterday, but that doesn't help much either. I'm planning to call HP again later today or sometime tomorrow to see if they've got any other suggestions. The tech support person told me HP is aware that there are problems with some applications and is looking for solutions. In the meantime I'm trying to find solutions and trying to decide whether to get a different printer. That's a pain, though, and this one really is very nice. Does anyone here have any suggestions for improving the printing performance of GraphicConverter with my new printer? Thanks! Beverly McGuire ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption! http://us.click.yahoo.com/FpY02D/vN2EAA ... /EGnolB/TM ---------------------------------------------------------------------~-> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: graphicconverterforum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Beverly McGuire

--- In graphicconverterforum@yahoogroups.com, "Richard D. Foley" < rerailer@e...> wrote: > I don't know if there is some rational barrier to you upgrading to MAC > OS 9.2.2 but it might improve your situation. Secondly, if there is a > way you might add memory allocation to HP printing services. I would > also recommend you increasing the memory allocation to GraphicConverter. > Finally, although you may have the ability (even if it is slow) you may > need to print at a lower resolution of the originating file. Certainly, > those images that appear on your screen or web pages can not display > these higher resolutions. My understanding (may be misunderstanding) of > these higher resolutions is so that when you edit them in a program like > photoshop, or make a major enlargement of a small area of the original > total, you will not loose details. Perhaps someone with greater > knowledge can address these issues. - Good luck! Hi, Richard I upgraded to OS 9.2.2, but that didn't seem to make any difference. I'd already increased the memory allocations to HP printing and GraphicConverter. Decreasing the resolution definitely helped, and on some images at least there's no loss of visible image quality, depending on the original resolution. It's still slow, but at least I don't feel like I'm growing moss while I wait. LOL Thanks for trying to help. :-) Beverly
bseamster

Post by bseamster »

Beverly, I was curious about your long print time, so I opened up a JPEG of just over 600 MB and printed it to my HP deskjet 1220C. I have a much slower computer than yours (G3/500/OS8.6) and my picture printed in about 4 minutes. If you're using a USB connection to your new printer, I think that may be the problem, rather than the application or the OS. USB is a relatively slow protocol, as compared to a parallel or ethernet connection. I am using an HP external (ethernet) print server, which then connects to the printer via a short parallel cable. I do this in order to share the printer among several computers, but it is definitely faster than if I had the printer hooked up as a local printer via USB. I believe your printer will accept an internal print server, such as the HP Jetdirect 200M, which I've seen on eBay for $100-150. I can't promise that that will solve your problem, but I think it's worth looking into. Regards, Brian Seamster --- In graphicconverterforum@yahoogroups.com, "Beverly McGuire <bezm00@y...>" <bezm00@y...> wrote: > I'm new to this group. I've been a registered user of GraphicConverter > for many years. I usually use version 2.8, sometimes 3.6.1. My computer > is a G4, and I'm using OS 9.2.1. > > Last week I got a new all-in-one printer, an HP OfficeJet d145. I > quickly discovered that it doesn't work well with two of the > applications I use frequently: GraphicConverter (any version - I also > downloaded 4.5.4, and it's just as bad as the two I already had) and > Adobe Acrobat Reader. It prints files from the MS Office apps and > SimpleText and my browser just fine. Haven't tried any other apps yet. > > To give you an idea, a 1216x2087 pixel, 600KB jpeg in 16.7 million > colors took about 7 minutes to print in Normal mode. Now that is slow! > If I switch to Draft it prints quickly, but the output is poor quality. > > I've tried adding memory to GraphicConverter. That makes a small > difference, but not much. > > Per the advice of HP tech support, I downloaded the latest driver from > the HP Web site yesterday, but that doesn't help much either. I'm > planning to call HP again later today or sometime tomorrow to see if > they've got any other suggestions. The tech support person told me HP > is aware that there are problems with some applications and is looking > for solutions. In the meantime I'm trying to find solutions and trying > to decide whether to get a different printer. That's a pain, though, > and this one really is very nice. > > Does anyone here have any suggestions for improving the printing > performance of GraphicConverter with my new printer? > > Thanks! > > Beverly McGuire
Beverly McGuire

--- "bseamster <brian_seamster@bellsouth.net>" <brian_seamster@bellsouth.net> wrote: > Beverly, > > I was curious about your long print time, so I opened up > a JPEG of just over > 600 MB and printed it to my HP deskjet 1220C. I have a > much slower > computer than yours (G3/500/OS8.6) and my picture printed > in about 4 > minutes. > > If you're using a USB connection to your new printer, I > think that may be the > problem, rather than the application or the OS. USB is a > relatively slow > protocol, as compared to a parallel or ethernet > connection. I am using an HP > external (ethernet) print server, which then connects to > the printer via a short > parallel cable. I do this in order to share the printer > among several computers, > but it is definitely faster than if I had the printer > hooked up as a local printer via > USB. > > I believe your printer will accept an internal print > server, such as the HP > Jetdirect 200M, which I've seen on eBay for $100-150. I > can't promise that > that will solve your problem, but I think it's worth > looking into. Yes, this printer will accept such a server. I don't know if that's something that addresses the nature of my problem since I'm not sure what that is. Since it seems to be application specific I have my doubts. The USB cable is not an unlikely culprit, but I don't think that's it either, for two reasons. First, again there's the application specific thing. Plus my previous printer, an Epson Stylus Photo 890, was connected to my Mac with the exact same USB cable, and that printer worked very well. When I hooked up the new HP, I never even disconnected the USB cable from the Mac, just unplugged the cable from the Epson and plugged it into the HP. Thanks for trying. Sigh. Beverly __________________________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Tax Center - forms, calculators, tips, more http://taxes.yahoo.com/
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Re: [graphicconverterforum] GraphicConverter in OS 9.2.1 and HP OfficeJet d145: SLOW printing! Does your whole system slow to a crawl while printing? -- Andrew Eisen Eisen Studios, LLC - Member Faculty, Yestermorrow Design/Build School Tel: 972 2 566-1729 s    Fax: 972 2 566-1941 s    Cell: 972 6 758-5852  s  Email: eisenstudios@fcc.net Rechov Mishael, #5   ?   Greek Colony   ?   Jerusalem   93154  ?   ISRAEL 57 Riverview Terrace   ?   Upper Saddle River   ?   NJ   07458  ?   USA            see: www.eisenstudios.com   ------          http://www.yestermorrow.org   Teaching design/build to lay people and professionals for 20 years.  Marvelous! From: "Richard D. Foley" <rerailer@earthlink.net> Organization: The Virtual Union Reply-To: graphicconverterforum@yahoogroups.com Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:56:19 +0000 To: graphicconverterforum@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [graphicconverterforum] GraphicConverter in OS 9.2.1 and HP OfficeJet d145: SLOW printing! I don't know if there is some rational barrier to you upgrading to MAC OS 9.2.2 but it might improve your situation.  Secondly, if there is a way you might add memory allocation to HP printing services.  I would also recommend you increasing the memory allocation to GraphicConverter.  Finally, although you may have the ability (even if it is slow) you may need to print at a lower resolution of the originating file.  Certainly, those images that appear on your screen or web pages can not display these higher resolutions.  My understanding (may be misunderstanding) of these higher resolutions is so that when you edit them in a program like photoshop, or make a major enlargement of a small area of the original total, you will not loose details.  Perhaps someone with greater knowledge can address these issues. - Good luck! Beverly McGuire  wrote: I'm new to this group. I've been a registered user of GraphicConverter for many years. I usually use version 2.8, sometimes 3.6.1. My computer is a G4, and I'm using OS 9.2.1. Last week I got a new all-in-one printer, an HP OfficeJet d145. I quickly discovered that it doesn't work well with two of the applications I use frequently: GraphicConverter (any version - I also downloaded 4.5.4, and it's just as bad as the two I already had) and Adobe Acrobat Reader. It prints files from the MS Office apps and SimpleText and my browser just fine. Haven't tried any other apps yet. To give you an idea, a 1216x2087 pixel, 600KB jpeg in 16.7 million colors took about 7 minutes to print in Normal mode. Now that is slow! If I switch to Draft it prints quickly, but the output is poor quality. I've tried adding memory to GraphicConverter. That makes a small difference, but not much. Per the advice of HP tech support, I downloaded the latest driver from the HP Web site yesterday, but that doesn't help much either. I'm planning to call HP again later today or sometime tomorrow to see if they've got any other suggestions. The tech support person told me HP is aware that there are problems with some applications and is looking for solutions. In the meantime I'm trying to find solutions and trying to decide whether to get a different printer. That's a pain, though, and this one really is very nice. Does anyone here have any suggestions for improving the printing performance of GraphicConverter with my new printer? Thanks! Beverly McGuire ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption! http://us.click.yahoo.com/FpY02D/vN2EAA ... /EGnolB/TM ---------------------------------------------------------------------~-> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: graphicconverterforum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor    ADVERTISEMENT <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.2994396.43 ... uiyuiwabei> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: graphicconverterforum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
Beverly McGuire

--- In graphicconverterforum@yahoogroups.com, Andrew <andrew@e...> wrote: > Does your whole system slow to a crawl while printing? No, not really. It shows down a tiny bit, but as long as I'm printing in the background everything else seems to run at almost normal speed. Beverly