File Size displayed different in GC and Finder ?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
pwelsh3126

Re: File Size displayed different in GC and Finder ?

Post by pwelsh3126 »

I may be mistaken but... Uploading the pic to a webserver via FTP, upload the image as "binary raw data" only and it should only upload only the data fork and leave the resource fork behind. The other upload methods like Macbinary, Binhex, Applesingle, etc. preserve the resource fork through encoding or combining the data & resource into a single flat file. --- In graphicconverterforum@yahoogroups.com, "ruffebum" <jan_wessel@h...> wrote: > Hi Thorsten, Pascal and Terry, > > Here a combined answer : > Thorsten, I was trying to do a normal save of a JPEG file. > > I think Pascal was correct, I suspected something with the Indexes > but his explanation about the caches makes sense to me. > Finder will probably use these indexes, I guess. > (And Pascal thx for the compliments..) > > Terry, thanks for the tip, for the moment I suppose I only want to > get rid of the Resource Fork with my pics that I want to put on the > WEB. > And as the author says: "GrimRipperCM is a simple utility for ripping > off the resource fork. Very handy if you know what you are doing. > Very destructive if you don't. I take no resposibility if you damage > the only copy of your important document."... > I am still very knew on this Mac thing so.... > > I assume that GC does exactly that when you ask it to save as WEB- > ready (Thorsten?) > The code to do that can probably be found here > http://developer.apple.com/qa/ops/ops04.html > > Thank you all for responding, > > Jan > > > My iBook is different than my Windooz, but I am getting to know it > better and better (I am working OS X now since 12 feb 2003), and the > Windooz machine is gone now...
ruffebum

Re: File Size displayed different in GC and Finder ?

Post by ruffebum »

I must admit, I have not tried uploading it via FTP yet, but you may be right. My "WEB-site-maintenance-program(Dreamweaver)" will probably use FTP the way you describe. But...., that would leave me with a version on my harddisk with the Resource Fork and a version on the server without the Resource Fork. And for me that is a bit confusing, that's all And as the Resource Fork is not of any use for me (as far as I know now..) why not trow it away? I found a ratio of 1:4 (Data:Resource), so it saves rather some space. Another advantage, when sending pics through email, it saves a lot of space. (I am using MAIL and have not yet found how to set the Prefs in MAIL not to send the Resource Fork) --- In graphicconverterforum@yahoogroups.com, "pwelsh3126" <pwelsh@s...> wrote: > I may be mistaken but... > > Uploading the pic to a webserver via FTP, upload the image as > "binary raw data" only and it should only upload only the data fork > and leave the resource fork behind. > > The other upload methods like Macbinary, Binhex, Applesingle, > etc. preserve the resource fork through encoding or combining > the data & resource into a single flat file. > CUT ->