Crop with aspect ratio

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Mike Breeze

Crop with aspect ratio

Post by Mike Breeze »

Hi Thorsten, I've been trying to work out how to crop a photo while maintaining the existing aspect ratio. Is that possible, and if so how do I do it? Excellent software, and I appreciate all the updates you provide - great stuff! Cheers Mike
thorstenlemke

Re: Crop with aspect ratio

Post by thorstenlemke »

Am 14.05.2003 22:06 Uhr schrieb "Mike Breeze" unter <breezy@binningup.com>: > I've been trying to work out how to crop a photo while maintaining the > existing aspect ratio. Is that possible, and if so how do I do it? Simple use the new popup in the toolbox to make a selection with an aspect ratio. Thorsten
Mike Breeze

Post by Mike Breeze »

Hi Thorsten, I think I'm being silly now. I've tried entering an aspect ratio into the popup, but the selection won't follow it. If I hold the shift key down while dragging out the selection, it forces the selection to be square. Is there another key I should press while dragging to force it to follow the aspect ratio? Cheers Mike lemkesoft@t-online.de wrote: Am 14.05.2003 22:06 Uhr schrieb "Mike Breeze" unter <breezy@binningup.com>: I've been trying to work out how to crop a photo while maintaining the existing aspect ratio. Is that possible, and if so how do I do it? Simple use the new popup in the toolbox to make a selection with an aspect ratio. Thorsten ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions. http://us.click.yahoo.com/aM1XQD/od7FAA ... /EGnolB/TM ---------------------------------------------------------------------~-> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: graphicconverterforum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Am 19.05.2003 10:39 Uhr schrieb "Mike Breeze" unter <breezy@binningup.com>: > Hi Thorsten, > > I think I'm being silly now. > > I've tried entering an aspect ratio into the popup, but the selection won't > follow it. If I hold the shift key down while dragging out the selection, it > forces the selection to be square. Is there another key I should press while > dragging to force it to follow the aspect ratio? > > Cheers > > Mike Hello, make a double click on the selection tool and enter the aspect ratio. Click on ok. Select userdefined in the popup in the toolbox. Thorsten
Noel Baebler

gif transparency

Post by Noel Baebler »

Howdy, What am I doing wrong? My .gif 89a clipart with transparent backgrounds when imported or copy 'n pasted to AppleWorks docs (draw, wp, or paint) always have a solid white background. Where did the transparency go? Noel Baebler Ginter Park Elementary School Richmond, VA USA
thorstenlemke

Re: gif transparency

Post by thorstenlemke »

Am 26.05.2003 20:54 Uhr schrieb "Noel Baebler" unter <nbaebler@mindspring.com>: > My .gif 89a clipart with transparent backgrounds when imported or copy > 'n pasted to AppleWorks docs (draw, wp, or paint) always have a solid > white background. The PICT format (used in the clipboard) doesn´t support transparency. Thorsten
George Slusher

Re: gif transparency

Post by George Slusher »

>What am I doing wrong? > >My .gif 89a clipart with transparent backgrounds when imported or copy >'n pasted to AppleWorks docs (draw, wp, or paint) always have a solid >white background. > >Where did the transparency go? It all depends upon HOW you import the GIF--you can retain transparency in a way, if the transparent color is white. If it isn't, you can use graphic converter to change that color to white. To do this: - Make a copy of the image file and work on the copy only, in case something gets screwed up. - Open the file in Graphic Converter. - In the tool bar, click on the transparency tool (the magic wand with a T). Click on the transparent background and it will change to its "real" color. - In the Picture menu, drag down to "Color" and choose "Edit color table." - Find the transparency color (if it's not white, it's probably something far from the rest of the image) and click on its square. - You'll see the RGB values for the color. Change those to all read 255; that will be pure white. - With the transparency tool, click on the background. It should become transparent again. To put this into an AppleWorks document: - Open an AppleWorks Drawing document. - Drag the GIF file's icon onto the document. - Select the image. In the toolbar or in the accents panel, click on the Fill icon. (It's the top or left of the three.) Click on the pattern palette. (Not the color palette) Choose the transparent pattern option--it has two transparent squares and should be the top left choice. - Bingo! The image is now transparent. I don't think that this will work in a painting document. I don't use painting documents very much, as I am no artist. (OTOH, you can do some neat things with the perspective, slant, stretch, and free rotate tools.) In a word processing document, you can do the same thing as in a Drawing document, if you want the image to be "floating," rather than "inline." - Click on the pointer tool (the flashing cursor should disappear). - Drag the GIF image's icon onto the word processing document. (You can also define a floating painting frame on the word processing document first.) - Make sure that the image is selected and do the same as above with the Fill control. You may also want to click on the pen control and select "None" in the pen width palette to eliminate the border around the image. Note that irregular text wrap doesn't work well, if at all, with complicated images. The results will probably look just like regular text wrap--IOW, the text will wrap around the frame, rather than the contents. If you use a clipping, this may not work unless the clipping was created with transparency as I've described. Most of the clippings that come with AppleWorks do have transparency, but those you create may not. If they don't have it, the pattern palette trick won't do anything. I hope that this helps. George Slusher/Eugene, OR gslusher@rio.com