Printing Problem with GC Carbon

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
George Slusher

Printing Problem with GC Carbon

Post by George Slusher »

Reference: 15" flatpanel G4 iMac, 800 mHz Superdrive 512 MB RAM OS 9.2.2 Printers: - Apple LaserWriter 4/600 PS, using either Apple's LaserWriter 8 driver, v 8.7.1, or AdobePS driver v 8.8.0 (301) (both of those are pretty much up-to-date for OS 9.2.2) - Epson C80 using Epson's driver (hard to give a number, as there are several files with different version numbers) Both printers work very well. The LaserWriter is connected via an Asante Ethernet-LocalTalk bridge to my LAN (iMac & DSL Modem, occasionally 12" iBook, with an Asante FR1004AL router). The C80 is USB, connected to an Asante USB hub. ------ I had not tried to print with GC 4.6.1 English Carbon before today; I think that the last version I tried (4.5.4?) did print OK. However, with OS 9.2.2, GC 4.6.1 English Carbon (and the English 4.7 beta Thorsten posted yesterday) will not print correctly. It will execute the FIRST printing-related function (either Page Setup OR Print) after it starts, but no more. If I first choose "Page Setup," I get the usual dialog box. I chose the options, then clicked on OK. I then chose "Print" (did the same with the command-P shortcut), but nothing happened. The "File" entry in the menu bar flashed (changed color), but nothing happened--no dialog box, nothing sent to the printer. If I chose "Print" first, I could print one document. After that, nothing happened when I chose "Page Setup" or "Print." This happened with both 4.6.1 & 4.7b in US carbon versions (graphicconverter.app). I also got and unstuffed Graphic Converter US PPC 4.6.1 and 4.7b. (I was careful to have only one version of Graphic Converter available at any one time; I trashed the other versions.) These printed correctly with both printers (and both drivers for the LaserWriter). The specific settings didn't seem to matter, in either case. With the Carbon version, I could print only one document, no matter whether it was color or black only, whether the image came from a GIF, JPEG, or TIFF file, etc. I would have trashed the "preferences," but the Carbon version doesn't have any that I could find in the OS 9 System Folder/Preferences. (Running the US PPC version did put a "GraphicConverter Preferences" file in my Preferences folder. I haven't yet entered my registration code for it, so it takes 8 sec to get started.) Is there some other file for graphicconverter.app that I should trash? It has to keep the "preferences" somewhere. I did reinstall GC 4.6.1 English Carbon by expanding the .sit file and replacing the graphicconverter.app package, but it still behaved the same way. It didn't depend upon the memory allocation, either. In OS 9.2.2, I have GC with 40,000K preferred RAM; it worked (or, rather didn't work) the same for 40,000K or the default 8 MB. Other applications do print correctly with both printers: Adobe Acrobat Reader; AppleWorks 6; BB Edit Lite; MS Internet Explorer; FileMaker Pro; Color It!; Claris Emailer; and on. Thus, the problem probably does not lie in the hardware, OS, or drivers, since the printers & drivers seem to work with other applications, including GC PPC. In the meantime, I'll be switching to the PPC version to get the printing capability. George Slusher/Eugene, OR gslusher@rio.com
thorstenlemke

Re: Printing Problem with GC Carbon

Post by thorstenlemke »

Please use the classic ppc version on MacOS 9 or earlier.