[Solved] How to batch convert PNGs with heterogenous color profiles to sRGB values perceptually and save as WebP w/o

The right place to speak and share about your experiences of GraphicConverter
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: How to batch convert PNGs with heterogenous color profiles to sRGB values perceptually and save as WebP w/o profile?

Post by forum_adm »

The current GraphicConverter does the following only if no valid sRGB profile is selected in the prefs part open/color profile:

It copies the Apple sRGB profile named "sRGB Profile.icc" from /System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles into the GraphicConverter profiles folder. Also, it selects the copied profile as sRGB profile. The Apple profile has a size of around 3KB.

Other profiles in the GraphicConverter profiles folder are added if you open an image with a different profile.
porg

Re: How to batch convert PNGs with heterogenous color profiles to sRGB values perceptually and save as WebP w/o profile?

Post by porg »

@forum_adm I summarize what I interpreted:

1) sRGB IEC61966-2.1.icc (3144 bytes, from Apple) — The official sRGB profile from Apple is the only sRGB profile that GC uses from now on. GC copies that ICC profile from system profile folder to GC profile folder if it is needed and not present.
2) sRGB built-in.icc (6876 bytes, from miniCMS) — Was one day used in GC. Not needed anymore. People who still have it in their GC color profile folder can trash it.
3) sRGB.icc (536 bytes) - This profile was embedded in some image file I had opened at some time and so was extracted from the image file into a standalone ICC file in the GC's color profile folder. I can trash it.

And last worries concerning file size optimization were resolved:
4) No-one needs to worry that sRGB profiles are embedded into each image (quite redundant unnecessary 3144 bytes)
5) Because @forum_adm recently confirmed: For most dialogs GC offers an option that if the color profile is sRGB it will not embed a full ICC profile but only set a flag that tells "This file uses sRGB" (only a few bytes).

If my interpretation is correct, then please prefix [Solved] and just add a mini comment that I get notified. Thanks.