Best way to choose photos to be copied to give to someone else?

The right place to speak and share about your experiences of GraphicConverter
KevinKillion

Best way to choose photos to be copied to give to someone else?

Post by KevinKillion »

I have 1600 photos from a recent trip with another couple. We did a lot together, as well as a lot of things separatly. I'd like to go through these photos and select (in some way) those pictures that would be of interest to the other couple, and then copy them to a flash drive for our friends.

The trick is how to denote or select those pictures:

- Just simply select them in GC's Browser? Doing that in going through 1600 pictures is bound to be awkward to get correct. And even if I did that, I don't see any way to "export" or "save a copy" of those selected pictures.
- Color tags? No, I use those to rate pix for my own purposes. (ALSO: Is there any way to set color tags in GC's Browser? Just going through pix one by one it's easy to click on the toolbar for this, but I don't see a way to do that in the Browser.)
- "Labels"? I don't understand these; it looks like the same thing as color tags. And as brilliant and wonderful and beloved as GC is, searching in the help could be easier. In particular, searching for "label" finds 30 matching pages, none of which (AFAIK) tell clearly what a "label" is, how it works, how to set it, and how it varies from a color tag.
- Some other method that I don't know about?

I suppose I could just use the Finder to drag all the pix I want to a new folder, copy that, and then put the pictures back where they were. But I suspect there must be GC features somewhere that would help.

Thanks for tips!
Kevin
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Best way to choose photos to be copied to give to someone else?

Post by forum_adm »

Hi Kevin,

I would use the slideshow. The slideshow shows the images in fullscreen. You can rate the images i.e. with the keys 1 to 5.

Later just sort in the browser by rating and copy the files.

Also, please check the marked option. So, you will automatically forward to the next file after any changed rating or label.

Best wishes
Thorsten
Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 08.37.jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 08.37.jpg (197.35 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
Fotokunst

Post by Fotokunst »

Hi Kevin,

I use the browser too.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-02.png
Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-02.png (196.86 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

Joerg
KevinKillion

Post by KevinKillion »

Thank you, Thorsten! Yes, marking photos by rating with the 0-5 keys, and then [right click] > Copy > Copy and Paste'ing elsewhere works great. Thank you!

BUT ... This brings up some ambiguities:

• GC appears to ambiguously use the word "Labels" to mean what the Finder calls "Tags"
GC:
  • Open a photo, toolbar shows "Label"
  • In the Browser, GC>Edit>Label
  • But in a slideshow, GC calls this a "Tag", both in the toolbar and in toolbar edit
Finder:
  • Finder>File>[last item is "Tags"]
  • Right-click on a file, chose color "Tags"
  • Finder any window, Finder>View>As List, right-click on headers, "Tags" is a choice
• To make it more confusing, doing a right-click on a file in the Browser, GC's popup menu offers menu ***SEPARATE*** items for "Label" and "Tags". This suggests that GC DOES think there is some difference between them. What is that difference?

• "Rating" is desirable. However, is this something that is used by GC only? I see no way to use it in Finder.

• Apple's "Photos" app uses a heart-shaped icon to a photo as a "Favorites". (I see no way to use that outside of "Photos".) Is it correct that this is not accessed by GC is any way?

Thorsten, it would be helpful to create a SPECIFIC place in the Help manual that defines and compares "Label", "Tag", "Rating" and "Favorite". Right now, I don't these are well-defined anywhere in the Help. Moreover, it's hard to search, e.g., a search for "rating" brings up a lot of hits like "operating" and a search for "tag" brings up things like "geotag" and "advantage".

Please note, I offer these suggestions while still ***LOVING*** GraphicConverter!!!

Thanks,
Kevin