[Solved] How to fix orientation problem

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
KevinKillion

[Solved] How to fix orientation problem

Post by KevinKillion »

I just went through a large number of vacation photos. Of these, a few dozen appeared "sideways" in the Finder, and when viewed in GC. I thought I "fixed" them by viewing them in GC and using Command-L and Command-R. That DID correct the orientation in GC, but NOT in the Finder. Worse, they are still in the wrong orientation when seen on my television via DLNR to the server.

Reading the text around page 140 in the manual, I do see that the issue of orientation is extremely complicated. I did try using the small icon in the Browser, but that still leads to confusion, rotating BOTH the orientation as seen in the Finder AND as seen there in the Browser.

The needed solution should be: conform the photo file to how it's now shown in GC. Is that possible?

By the way, some text around pages 140-141 is duplicated.

Kevin
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: How to fix orientation problem

Post by forum_adm »

Please do the following:

1) Select the problem files in the GraphicConverter browser.
2) Select the following function in the context menu:
Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 15.30.34.jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 15.30.34.jpg (304.02 KiB) Viewed 828 times
3) Rotate the image as required.
KevinKillion

Post by KevinKillion »

INTERESTING RESULT!!!!

Your advice worked perfectly for 56 out of 70 pictures that had the orientation problem. (THANK YOU!)

That leaves 14 that were still a problem, even after the steps you suggested. Here is the interesting part: They are correct in the Finder, or if I open one of them, or in the GC Slideshow ... but NOT in the GC Browser! (I'm keeping a copy of these problem files from this stage if you'd like to see them!)

Working further, I noticed something unique about these 14 files: In my original work (using GC 11, I have since upgraded to GC 12), I had cropped them BEFORE applying the GC rotation, accepting GC's option to do a lossy rotation. But something about that seemed to affect the correction steps you advised.

I did fix the problem this way: I went back to my original copies of the pix, before any crop or rotation, and replaced the problem files. Then, I applied the desired rotation, and then the cropping. They're all fine now.

But I thought you'd be interested in that set of 14 I saved, which look fine in the Finder, Slideshow and when opened, but not in the Browser.

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING, and the fabulous GraphicConverter!

Kevin
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Hmm, that looks like an issue of the settings.

Please check: always recreate
Please uncheck: use exif preview

Now use in the context menu the refresh command.

Thorsten
Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-09 um 08.37.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-09 um 08.37.jpg (260.49 KiB) Viewed 819 times