advertisements

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Michael

Re: advertisements

Post by Michael »

Hi Frank, Yes - several. You can turn of all HTML in your email program. Or you could add an entry for your local DNS Host file. Route <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com> to 127.0.0.1. If you need more information about the second option let me know. Michael on 6/22/03 12:16 PM, Frank Taylor at frankt@classicnet.net wrote: > Is there any way to prevent receiving all of the graphic > advertisements from Yahoo that are contained in some of the messages > to this group? They Are VERY annoying. > > Frank Taylor
Frank Taylor

Post by Frank Taylor »

>At 5:58 PM -0700 6/22/03, George Slusher wrote: >> >> > I am well aware (I have been for years now) how to prevent Eudora >>>from displaying attachments - > >BTW, you can also prevent Eudora from displaying HTML, which is not a >bad idea anyway, since spammers now know how to use the mail programs >that utilize HTML to send them back a message that theirs arrived in >your box when it decodes the HTML. The option is in the settings >panel for Fonts and Displays, uncheck the one marked auto download >HTML graphics. There may be another setting, but basically, all I see >is the HTML code if I get an HTML email, and then if I decide that I >want to view it, I can open it in my browser. This is in Eudora 5.2. > >Eric Thank you, but that is also old news. Some mail I prefer to receive in HTML format. My original point was that HTML product advertisements are inappropriate in a discussion group message just because the group is hosted by Yahoo. I should not have to manually turn this setting off before I read a group message. To adjust this setting in the Yahoo user group forums I must create and set up a Yahoo user login account, which I do not have, nor do I wish to do. Frank
Frank Taylor

Post by Frank Taylor »

> >I can't sign in because I have no Yahoo account. Therefore I can't >>choose not to receive HTML with this group's messages. > >You can create one in a few minutes. Please see my response to to the message from Eric B. Richardson, MD. Not everyone wants to give personal information to Yahoo. > > >> I am well aware (I have been for years now) how to prevent Eudora >>from displaying attachments - > >These are NOT "attachments." They do NOT come with the email messages. >Instead, they are accessed fromt the by your email client when it views >the HTML message. It's just like a web page. They also must be downloaded and held in cache as do all the images on a web page or contained in SPAM email messages, so the difference between attachments and images is minor. They both go away when the message is deleted in Eudora. >Thorsten Lemke has upgraded Graphic Converter many times since I first >started using it in 1993. He has charged an "upgrade" fee only ONCE. I knew that and I paid that. >Compare that to just about any commercial software and even much >shareware. IMO, it would be inappropriate to ask him to pay for this list >when there is a free alternative. I didn't ask him to do that. > >George Slusher/Eugene, OR >gslusher@rio.com Frank Taylor