transparency tool

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
stephen e. schwartz

transparency tool

Post by stephen e. schwartz »

hello norma kerklo I had kind of expected someone with more experience might have answered your request for help with transparency, but no one has, so let me jump in. Small repayment for a nice piece of software. I have not always found use of the transparency tool completely "transparent". In principle you should be able to take the transparency tool to a color, click on it, and all pixels with the "same" color should be transparent. But for reasons unclear this doesnt always work, at least for me. Double click the transparency tool. This will bring up a color table (if you are at 256 colors) and some options. I suggest check the "make color transparent" and "display desktop pattern for transparency" boxes. If at more than 256 colors, I suggest you downgrade color to 256. You can then click on any color in the color table and the corresponding color in the figure will become transparent by showing a purplish mac desktop in lieu of color. Only one color at a time can be transparent. If colors are "close" to each other, that is not good enough. Must be the same in the color table. then as thorsten suggests save as gif, which supports transparency. You can then, for example, put this graphic on a web page which has a colored background and the colored background will show through the transparent area of the graphic. I have found this useful, say, when a graphic has a white background and I dont want that to show on my web page. see for example the logo at the top of my own home page, which started out having a white background. http://www.ecd.bnl.gov/steve/schwartz.html hope this helps. -steve > > ---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- > From: Norma Kerklo <nkerklo@mjtc.com> > Reply-To: graphicconverterforum@yahoogroups.com > Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:30:52 -0600 > > >---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- > > >Well, if it was as simple as that, I doubt I would have asked > >the question. So your response is not helpful. > >After I select the "transparency tool, what do I do with it. > > > > > >On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 12:20 AM, lemkesoft@t-online.de >wrote: > > > >> Am 11.08.2003 19:19 Uhr schrieb "Norma Kerklo" unter > >> <nkerklo@mjtc.com>: > >> > >> > Despite reading the PDF documentation, I still can't > >> > figure out how to make a background transparent > >> > and leave "something" in the foreground solid. > >> > Any help is appreciated. > >> > > >> > I am running GC v4.8 on a G4Mac. > >> Simple use the transparency tool. > >> > >> Thorsten > >> > >=========== > >NORMA KERKLO > >nkerklo@mjtc.com > >303-660-0999 > >------------------------ > >MJ TELLER CONSULTING > >"MacOS, UNIX, Networks, > >Documentation & Training Solutions" > >------------------------- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Stephen E. Schwartz, Senior Scientist mailto:ses@bnl.gov Atmospheric Sciences Division Phone: (631) 344-3100 Brookhaven National Laboratory Fax: (631) 344-2887 Bldg. 815E (75 Rutherford Dr.) PO Box 5000 Sec'y: (631) 344-3275 Upton NY 11973-5000 ftp://ftp.ecd.bnl.gov//pub/steve Home Page: http://www.ecd.bnl.gov/steve/schwartz.html Secretary: Barbara Roland (mailto: roland@bnl.gov) Tropospheric Aerosol Program (TAP) Home Page: http://www.tap.bnl.gov - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -