Re: Digest Number 671

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
James Foster-Turner

Post by James Foster-Turner »

Attachments :Printing an extra blank page query I believe you may need to set your lower page margin above 0.6 Most printers have a paper 'grab' space on the lower margin. On my Epson Stylus Color 880 it is 2cm! If your settings encroach on the printers own margins you will be in effect tiling each picture. hope this helps, James. On 17 Mar 2005, at 09:23, gcmac@yahoogroups.com wrote: There are 25 messages in this issue. Topics in this digest: 1. Re:compressing TIFFs slower than it used to be From: Thorsten Lemke <lemkesoft@t-online.de> 2. Re:an example of batch processing From: Thorsten Lemke <lemkesoft@t-online.de> 3. Re:printing extra blank page From: Thorsten Lemke <lemkesoft@t-online.de> 4. Re:Re: Receiving error message 31070 ??? From: Thorsten Lemke <lemkesoft@t-online.de> 5. Re:printing extra blank page From: Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> 6. Re: your picture From: Bretsch Katie <kbretsch@mac.com> 7. Re: printing extra blank page From: "Robert H. Rivkin" <rrivkin@umbc.edu> 8. Re: printing extra blank page From: Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> 9. Re: printing extra blank page From: Hagen Henke <hagen.henke@gmx.de> 10. Re: printing extra blank page From: "Robert H. Rivkin" <rrivkin@umbc.edu> 11. Re: printing extra blank page From: Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> 12. Re: printing extra blank page From: Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> 13. Re: printing extra blank page From: Victoria Walker <vwalker@his.com> 14. Re: printing extra blank page From: dornie@mac.com 15. Re:compressing TIFFs slower than it used to be From: "jameswkirk2000" <jameswkirk@mac.com> 16. Re: printing extra blank page From: Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> 17. Re: printing extra blank page From: Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> 18. Newbee + piles of Claris Draw From: "Richard D. Foley" <rerailer@earthlink.net> 19. Re: printing extra blank page From: Victoria Walker <vwalker@his.com> 20. Re: Newbee + piles of Claris Draw From: Al Treder <altreder@earthlink.net> 21. Re: Newbee + piles of Claris Draw From: David Wightman <davewightman@cablelan.net> 22. Re: Newbee + piles of Claris Draw From: Al Treder <altreder@earthlink.net> 23. Re: printing extra blank page From: Hagen Henke <hagen.henke@gmx.de> 24. Re: printing extra blank page From: Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> 25. Re: Newbee + piles of Claris Draw From: Brian Drumm <drummstick@mac.com> ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 1 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:06:12 +0100 From: Thorsten Lemke <lemkesoft@t-online.de> Subject: Re:compressing TIFFs slower than it used to be Hello, 1-2 seconds is only possible with no compression or packbits. But now LZW. Thorsten Am 3/16/05 3:46 AM schrieb "jameswkirk2000" unter <jameswkirk@mac.com>: > > > Hi Thorsten, > > I dragged com.lemkesoft.graphicconverter.bundle.plist and > com.lemkesoft.graphicconverter.plist to the trash, then created > 3000x3000 pixel 8-bit images & saved compressed TIFF. > 5.5.1 took about 42 seconds, 5.4 took one or two seconds > (didn't even see a progress window open up like I did for 5.5.1.) > > I just downloaded GC5.5.2, took about 42 seconds. (Again watched > progress window count down used and estimated remaining time.) > > Jim > > ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 2 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:18:01 +0100 From: Thorsten Lemke <lemkesoft@t-online.de> Subject: Re:an example of batch processing Hello, Many thanks for your feedback. Thorsten Am 3/15/05 9:51 PM schrieb "Mike" unter <mroberts122@bresnan.net>: > > Hi, > > FYI, I shot over 9 000 pictures the last three weekends for the Wyoming > High School Activities Association's state basketball and wrestling > tournaments, and used GC to batch process the files and generate the > html. It worked without a hitch, except for me forgetting to change the > quality level on the JPEG settings a couple of times. In the batch > processing, I resized, then did Autolevels and a bit of Unsharp Mask. > The photos are at http://roberts-imaging.com The lead image was > created in Photoshop Elements 3.0. > > GC is a great program! > > Mike Roberts ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 3 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:30:38 +0100 From: Thorsten Lemke <lemkesoft@t-online.de> Subject: Re:printing extra blank page Hello, Did you check the settings in the print dialog? Thorsten Am 3/15/05 3:46 PM schrieb "Robert Poland" unter <rpoland@usa.net>: > > Hi, > > OS 10.3.8. > > I just got a new (used) printer, HP G95. And of course I have updated > GC to the latest version, 5.5.2x. > > Now all of the sudden for every picture I print it's followed by an > extra blank page. Is this a feature or should I look elsewhere? > > The page is set to enlarge/reduce area to fit page, margins 0.6, 0.6, > 0.4, > 0.6. > > Tia, > -- > Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO > http://www.ibrb.org/ > ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 4 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:37:49 +0100 From: Thorsten Lemke <lemkesoft@t-online.de> Subject: Re:Re: Receiving error message 31070 ??? Hello, Ah - a search. The download works only with files that exists directly on the server. Thorsten Am 3/15/05 2:32 AM schrieb "Nancy Noel" unter <nancyenoel@adelphia.net>: > > Hello katie; > Thanks so much for offering to help. > The URL is at the Library of Virginia online catalog of digitized > original documents. > The URl for the page that contains a hyperlink to the document I want > is: > http://ajax.lva.lib.va.us:80/F/ > RMQM7FX1LPP1R9L11VRXJDPNYE6UN8LQ51CX4JHUKEUUQD9PB5-02476?func=full-set- > selected > > The actual hyperlink to the document is: > http://lvaimage.lib.va.us/cgi-bin/GetLONN.pl? > first=469&last=&g_p=P5&collection=LO Patent > > Clicking on the hyperlink to the doc. does give me a "Save As" option! > this is a good thing. > I'll await your reply. Thanks again. > > Nancy > On Mar 14, 2005, at 10:46 AM, Bretsch Katie wrote: > > > Hi, Nancy, Would you be willing to post or email the URL in question? > I'll take a run at it and share a specific "how to" on the list. For a > start, see if left clicking on it opens a menu which offers a "Save > image as...." option. > > > >> Re: Receiving error message 31070 ??? > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 5 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 06:40:03 -0700 From: Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> Subject: Re:printing extra blank page > Hello, > > Did you check the settings in the print dialog? > > Thorsten > > Am 3/15/05 3:46 PM schrieb "Robert Poland" unter <rpoland@usa.net>: > >> Hi, >> >> OS 10.3.8. >> >> I just got a new (used) printer, HP G95. And of course I have updated >> GC to the latest version, 5.5.2x. >> >> Now all of the sudden for every picture I print it's followed by an >> extra blank page. Is this a feature or should I look elsewhere? >> >> The page is set to enlarge/reduce area to fit page, margins 0.6, >> 0.6, 0.4, >> 0.6. >> >> Tia, >> -- >> Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO Thorsten, I could find nothing that indicates printing a blank Page in either the GC preferences or in the Print Setup or the actual print command, including the GC options Thanks,. -- Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO http://www.ibrb.org/ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 6 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:19:03 -0800 From: Bretsch Katie <kbretsch@mac.com> Subject: Re: your picture Mel, Cool. How'd you get that? Email me and tell me what you did. Attach file even? Thanks! I never found anything but the teaser GIF. TIA, Katie ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 7 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:06:25 -0500 From: "Robert H. Rivkin" <rrivkin@umbc.edu> Subject: Re: printing extra blank page It sounds to me as though you actually have included some space somewhere in your document that is forcing the printer to read it as more than can be handled on one page. Do you have any blank lines below the picture? On 3/16/05 8:40 AM, "Robert Poland" <rpoland@usa.net> wrote: > >> Hello, >> >> Did you check the settings in the print dialog? >> >> Thorsten >> >> Am 3/15/05 3:46 PM schrieb "Robert Poland" unter <rpoland@usa.net>: >> >>> Hi, >>> >>> OS 10.3.8. >>> >>> I just got a new (used) printer, HP G95. And of course I have >>> updated >>> GC to the latest version, 5.5.2x. >>> >>> Now all of the sudden for every picture I print it's followed by an >>> extra blank page. Is this a feature or should I look elsewhere? >>> >>> The page is set to enlarge/reduce area to fit page, margins 0.6, >>> 0.6, 0.4, >>> 0.6. >>> >>> Tia, >>> -- >>> Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO > > Thorsten, > > I could find nothing that indicates printing a blank Page in either > the GC preferences or in the Print Setup or the actual print command, > including the GC options > > Thanks,. ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 8 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:46:34 -0700 From: Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> Subject: Re: printing extra blank page > It sounds to me as though you actually have included some space > somewhere in > your document that is forcing the printer to read it as more than can > be > handled on one page. Do you have any blank lines below the picture? No blank lines visible and a print preview shows only one page. > On 3/16/05 8:40 AM, "Robert Poland" <rpoland@usa.net> wrote: > >> >>> Hello, >>> >>> Did you check the settings in the print dialog? >>> >>> Thorsten >>> >>> Am 3/15/05 3:46 PM schrieb "Robert Poland" unter <rpoland@usa.net>: >>> >>>> Hi, >>>> >>>> OS 10.3.8. >>>> >>>> I just got a new (used) printer, HP G95. And of course I have >>>> updated >>>> GC to the latest version, 5.5.2x. >>>> >>>> Now all of the sudden for every picture I print it's followed by >>>> an >>>> extra blank page. Is this a feature or should I look elsewhere? >>>> >>>> The page is set to enlarge/reduce area to fit page, margins >>>> 0.6, 0.6, 0.4, >>>> 0.6. >>>> >>>> Tia, >>>> -- >>>> Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO >> >> Thorsten, >> >> I could find nothing that indicates printing a blank Page in either >> the GC preferences or in the Print Setup or the actual print command, >> including the GC options >> >> Thanks, -- Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO http://www.ibrb.org/ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 9 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:51:40 +0100 From: Hagen Henke <hagen.henke@gmx.de> Subject: Re: printing extra blank page Hello, did you print the same picture on another printer? What happens if you resave the picture in another file format? Hagen Henke Am 16.03.2005 22:46 Uhr schrieb "Robert Poland" unter <rpoland@usa.net>: > >> It sounds to me as though you actually have included some space >> somewhere in >> your document that is forcing the printer to read it as more than can >> be >> handled on one page. Do you have any blank lines below the picture? > > No blank lines visible and a print preview shows only one page. > >> On 3/16/05 8:40 AM, "Robert Poland" <rpoland@usa.net> wrote: >> >>> >>>> Hello, >>>> >>>> Did you check the settings in the print dialog? >>>> >>>> Thorsten >>>> >>>> Am 3/15/05 3:46 PM schrieb "Robert Poland" unter <rpoland@usa.net>: >>>> >>>>> Hi, >>>>> >>>>> OS 10.3.8. >>>>> >>>>> I just got a new (used) printer, HP G95. And of course I have >>>>> updated >>>>> GC to the latest version, 5.5.2x. >>>>> >>>>> Now all of the sudden for every picture I print it's followed by >>>>> an >>>>> extra blank page. Is this a feature or should I look elsewhere? >>>>> >>>>> The page is set to enlarge/reduce area to fit page, margins >>>>> 0.6, 0.6, 0.4, >>>>> 0.6. >>>>> >>>>> Tia, >>>>> -- >>>>> Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO >>> >>> Thorsten, >>> >>> I could find nothing that indicates printing a blank Page in either >>> the GC preferences or in the Print Setup or the actual print >>> command, >>> including the GC options >>> >>> Thanks, ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 10 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:53:28 -0500 From: "Robert H. Rivkin" <rrivkin@umbc.edu> Subject: Re: printing extra blank page What happens if you set printing to 95% of original? On 3/16/05 4:46 PM, "Robert Poland" <rpoland@usa.net> wrote: > >> It sounds to me as though you actually have included some space >> somewhere in >> your document that is forcing the printer to read it as more than can >> be >> handled on one page. Do you have any blank lines below the picture? > > No blank lines visible and a print preview shows only one page. > >> On 3/16/05 8:40 AM, "Robert Poland" <rpoland@usa.net> wrote: >> >>> >>>> Hello, >>>> >>>> Did you check the settings in the print dialog? >>>> >>>> Thorsten >>>> >>>> Am 3/15/05 3:46 PM schrieb "Robert Poland" unter <rpoland@usa.net>: >>>> >>>>> Hi, >>>>> >>>>> OS 10.3.8. >>>>> >>>>> I just got a new (used) printer, HP G95. And of course I have >>>>> updated >>>>> GC to the latest version, 5.5.2x. >>>>> >>>>> Now all of the sudden for every picture I print it's followed by >>>>> an >>>>> extra blank page. Is this a feature or should I look elsewhere? >>>>> >>>>> The page is set to enlarge/reduce area to fit page, margins >>>>> 0.6, 0.6, 0.4, >>>>> 0.6. >>>>> >>>>> Tia, >>>>> -- >>>>> Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO >>> >>> Thorsten, >>> >>> I could find nothing that indicates printing a blank Page in either >>> the GC preferences or in the Print Setup or the actual print >>> command, >>> including the GC options >>> >>> Thanks, ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 11 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:41:16 -0700 From: Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> Subject: Re: printing extra blank page > What happens if you set printing to 95% of original? Printed at 10%, with GC options set to Print at original size. Printout was a very small picture at the center of the page and a BLANK PAGE. > On 3/16/05 4:46 PM, "Robert Poland" <rpoland@usa.net> wrote: > >> >>> It sounds to me as though you actually have included some space >>> somewhere in >>> your document that is forcing the printer to read it as more than >>> can be >>> handled on one page. Do you have any blank lines below the picture? >> >> No blank lines visible and a print preview shows only one page. >> >>> On 3/16/05 8:40 AM, "Robert Poland" <rpoland@usa.net> wrote: >>> >>>> >>>>> Hello, >>>>> >>>>> Did you check the settings in the print dialog? >>>>> >>>>> Thorsten >>>>> >>>>> Am 3/15/05 3:46 PM schrieb "Robert Poland" unter >>>>> <rpoland@usa.net>: >>>>> >>>>>> Hi, >>>>>> >>>>>> OS 10.3.8. >>>>>> >>>>>> I just got a new (used) printer, HP G95. And of course I have >>>>>> updated >>>>>> GC to the latest version, 5.5.2x. >>>>>> >>>>>> Now all of the sudden for every picture I print it's followed >>>>>> by an >>>>>> extra blank page. Is this a feature or should I look elsewhere? >>>>>> >>>>>> The page is set to enlarge/reduce area to fit page, margins >>>>>> 0.6, 0.6, 0.4, >>>>>> 0.6. >>>>>> >>>>>> Tia, >>>>>> -- >>>>>> Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO >>>> >>>> Thorsten, >>>> >>>> I could find nothing that indicates printing a blank Page in >>>> either >>>> the GC preferences or in the Print Setup or the actual print >>>> command, >>>> including the GC options >>>> >>>> Thanks, -- Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO http://www.ibrb.org/ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 12 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:38:16 -0700 From: Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> Subject: Re: printing extra blank page > Hello, > > did you print the same picture on another printer? No other printer available. > What happens if you resave the picture in another file format? Saved as a .gif and printed. Window says printing page 1 of 1. Printed picture and one blank page. > Hagen Henke > > Am 16.03.2005 22:46 Uhr schrieb "Robert Poland" unter > <rpoland@usa.net>: > >> >>> It sounds to me as though you actually have included some space >>> somewhere in >>> your document that is forcing the printer to read it as more than >>> can be >>> handled on one page. Do you have any blank lines below the picture? >> >> No blank lines visible and a print preview shows only one page. >> >>> On 3/16/05 8:40 AM, "Robert Poland" <rpoland@usa.net> wrote: >>> >>>> >>>>> Hello, >>>>> >>>>> Did you check the settings in the print dialog? >>>>> >>>>> Thorsten >>>>> >>>>> Am 3/15/05 3:46 PM schrieb "Robert Poland" unter >>>>> <rpoland@usa.net>: >>>>> >>>>>> Hi, >>>>>> >>>>>> OS 10.3.8. >>>>>> >>>>>> I just got a new (used) printer, HP G95. And of course I have >>>>>> updated >>>>>> GC to the latest version, 5.5.2x. >>>>>> >>>>>> Now all of the sudden for every picture I print it's followed >>>>>> by an >>>>>> extra blank page. Is this a feature or should I look elsewhere? >>>>>> >>>>>> The page is set to enlarge/reduce area to fit page, margins >>>>>> 0.6, 0.6, 0.4, >>>>>> 0.6. >>>>>> >>>>>> Tia, >>>>>> -- >>>>>> Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO >>>> >>>> Thorsten, >>>> >>>> I could find nothing that indicates printing a blank Page in >>>> either >>>> the GC preferences or in the Print Setup or the actual print >>>> command, >>>> including the GC options >>>> >>>> Thanks, -- Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO http://www.ibrb.org/ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 13 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:10:13 -0500 From: Victoria Walker <vwalker@his.com> Subject: Re: printing extra blank page The blank page issue is one of the printer rather than GC? Have you tried printing from TextEdit or some other text editor? On Wednesday, March 16, 2005, at 05:41 PM, Robert Poland wrote: > >> What happens if you set printing to 95% of original? > > Printed at 10%, with GC options set to Print at original size. > > Printout was a very small picture at the center of the page and a > BLANK PAGE. ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 14 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:22:25 -0500 From: dornie@mac.com Subject: Re: printing extra blank page I agree. In the past when I had that problem, I changed the length of the page in the printer's page setup. ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 15 Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 03:35:12 -0000 From: "jameswkirk2000" <jameswkirk@mac.com> Subject: Re:compressing TIFFs slower than it used to be Well, here's what I did. Created a new image, 3000 x 3000 pixels, 8 bit depth (all white). Saved it as TIFF with no compression and then with LZW with prediction (according to the options panel.) Both 5.4 and 5.5 saved with no compression almost instantly, producing file sizes of 8.6 Meg (about what I'd expect for 9 megapixels with 1 byte per pixel). Saving with compression, 5.4 took about one second, 5.5 took about 30 seconds. Both produced highly compressed file sizes of 39.1 kilobyte. I then opened a scanned image, saved with and without LZW. They both took a fraction of a second with no compression, creatintg 18.7 Meg files. Compressing, 5.5 took about 65 seconds, while 5.4 took only a couple of seconds, both creating files compressed to 13.1 Meg. If 5.4 is saving the file too fast, I won't complain, but I still don't know why 5.5 is no where near as fast... --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemkesoft@t...> wrote: > Hello, > > 1-2 seconds is only possible with no compression or packbits. But now LZW. > > Thorsten > > ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 16 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:08:04 -0700 From: Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> Subject: Re: printing extra blank page > The blank page issue is one of the printer rather than GC? Have you > tried printing from TextEdit or some other text editor? > > > On Wednesday, March 16, 2005, at 05:41 PM, Robert Poland wrote: > >> >>> What happens if you set printing to 95% of original? >> >> Printed at 10%, with GC options set to Print at original size. >> >> Printout was a very small picture at the center of the page and a >> BLANK PAGE. The blank page issue occurs only with GraphicConverter. Word, Excel and Tex-Edit Plus all work fine. Thanks, -- Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO http://www.ibrb.org/ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 17 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:52:19 -0700 From: Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> Subject: Re: printing extra blank page > Says dornie@mac.com > I agree. With what? > In the past when I had that problem, I changed the length of the page > in the printer's page setup. I tried printing a picture that was about 1/2 inch square (centered). It also spit out a blank page. Thanks, -- Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO http://www.ibrb.org/ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 18 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:26:58 -0700 From: "Richard D. Foley" <rerailer@earthlink.net> Subject: Newbee + piles of Claris Draw I have at least 250 Claris Draw and MacDrawPro documents that I need to convert. These are pre Mac OS X files. They display ok on my screen but I can not get them to print. I'm sure not having much luck! Any suggestions? Richard Foley [This message contained attachments] ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 19 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:31:09 -0500 From: Victoria Walker <vwalker@his.com> Subject: Re: printing extra blank page Bob, Did you try doing a custom page size (as per Dornie's work-a-round)? Just curious to see if that works... I checked to see if your printer is supported by Gimp-print and it is not officially listed but is reported as working with Gimp-print/CUPS according to linuxprinting.org Gimp-print and CUPS would give you a different driver to try. Gimp-print website is here: http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3 I'd also try using the same margins you are printing in GC with TextEdit/Word/etc..to see if the same problem happens. One more idea, ask the person you bought it from if blank pages were a common issue for them. No solutions - just trying to narrow it down more. Frustrating! On Wednesday, March 16, 2005, at 10:52 PM, Robert Poland wrote: > >> Says dornie@mac.com > >> I agree. > > With what? > >> In the past when I had that problem, I changed the length of the page >> in the printer's page setup. > > I tried printing a picture that was about 1/2 inch square (centered). > It also spit out a blank page. > > Thanks, > -- > Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO > http://www.ibrb.org/ > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 20 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:10:07 -0800 From: Al Treder <altreder@earthlink.net> Subject: Re: Newbee + piles of Claris Draw I just tried this, so it should work for you. MacDraw Pro would not open in Classic, but it did open when I restarted in OS9.2.2. I opened an old McDraw Pro graphic file and copied it to the clipboard. Then I opened GraphicConverter 5.1 Classic, still in OS9.2.2, and pasted the clipboard to a new file. I then saved the graphic as JPEG and went back to OS10.3.8, where double clicking on the saved file opened GraphicConverter 5.4, which displayed the graphic. Everything was there as drawn, but some fonts were substituted. Of course, this method requires McDraw Pro as a working application. Hope it works for you. -- Al Treder On Mar 16, 2005, at 20:26, Richard D. Foley wrote: > I have at least 250 Claris Draw and MacDrawPro documents that I need to > convert. These are pre Mac OS X files. They display ok on my screen > but I can not get them to print. I'm sure not having much luck! Any > suggestions? > > Richard Foley > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > <rerailer.vcf> ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 21 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:52:16 -0800 From: David Wightman <davewightman@cablelan.net> Subject: Re: Newbee + piles of Claris Draw If it shows on the screen just take a screen shot and open it with GC. One way to do this is Shift-Control-Command-4. The cursor is then used to outline the part of the screen you want to save. This puts a screen shot on the clipboard. Then open GC and select File/New/Image with Clipboard (Comd-J) You can then save it in whatever format you want. Dave Wightman On Mar 16, 2005, at 8:26 PM, Richard D. Foley wrote: > I have at least 250 Claris Draw and MacDrawPro documents that I need to > convert. These are pre Mac OS X files. They display ok on my screen > but I can not get them to print. I'm sure not having much luck! Any > suggestions? > > Richard Foley > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > <rerailer.vcf> ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 22 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:56:28 -0800 From: Al Treder <altreder@earthlink.net> Subject: Re: Newbee + piles of Claris Draw That method saves a file at 72dpi with the dimensions of the displayed image. Could be good enough, and it certainly does work. However, getting full resolution could be difficult. -- Al Treder On Mar 16, 2005, at 21:52, David Wightman wrote: > > If it shows on the screen just take a screen shot and open it with GC. > One way to do this is Shift-Control-Command-4. The cursor is then used > to outline the part of the screen you want to save. This puts a screen > shot on the clipboard. Then open GC and select File/New/Image with > Clipboard (Comd-J) You can then save it in whatever format you want. > Dave Wightman > > > On Mar 16, 2005, at 8:26 PM, Richard D. Foley wrote: > >> I have at least 250 Claris Draw and MacDrawPro documents that I need >> to >> convert. These are pre Mac OS X files. They display ok on my screen >> but I can not get them to print. I'm sure not having much luck! Any >> suggestions? >> >> Richard Foley >> >> >> >> Yahoo! Groups Links >> >> >> >> >> <rerailer.vcf> > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 23 Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 06:44:43 +0100 From: Hagen Henke <hagen.henke@gmx.de> Subject: Re: printing extra blank page Hello, there may be a printer driver problem. Please check for an update. If available please install it and reboot. Or: Maybe your pinter has an internal setting in the options section of the driver you reach via the print dialog's popup menu. What happens if your print a text page? Regards, Hagen Henke Am 17.03.2005 4:52 Uhr schrieb "Robert Poland" unter <rpoland@usa.net>: > >> Says dornie@mac.com > >> I agree. > > With what? > >> In the past when I had that problem, I changed the length of the page >> in the printer's page setup. > > I tried printing a picture that was about 1/2 inch square (centered). > It also spit out a blank page. > > Thanks, ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 24 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:46:34 -0700 From: Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> Subject: Re: printing extra blank page > It sounds to me as though you actually have included some space > somewhere in > your document that is forcing the printer to read it as more than can > be > handled on one page. Do you have any blank lines below the picture? No blank lines visible and a print preview shows only one page. > On 3/16/05 8:40 AM, "Robert Poland" <rpoland@usa.net> wrote: > >> >>> Hello, >>> >>> Did you check the settings in the print dialog? >>> >>> Thorsten >>> >>> Am 3/15/05 3:46 PM schrieb "Robert Poland" unter <rpoland@usa.net>: >>> >>>> Hi, >>>> >>>> OS 10.3.8. >>>> >>>> I just got a new (used) printer, HP G95. And of course I have >>>> updated >>>> GC to the latest version, 5.5.2x. >>>> >>>> Now all of the sudden for every picture I print it's followed by >>>> an >>>> extra blank page. Is this a feature or should I look elsewhere? >>>> >>>> The page is set to enlarge/reduce area to fit page, margins >>>> 0.6, 0.6, 0.4, >>>> 0.6. >>>> >>>> Tia, >>>> -- >>>> Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO >> >> Thorsten, >> >> I could find nothing that indicates printing a blank Page in either >> the GC preferences or in the Print Setup or the actual print command, >> including the GC options >> >> Thanks, -- Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO http://www.ibrb.org/ _______________________________________________ Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored. Applescript-users mailing list (Applescript-users@lists.apple.com) Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription: http://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/ ... ipt-users/ guido.neumann%40rtlcreation.de This email sent to guido.neumann@rtlcreation.de ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 25 Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 04:23:16 -0500 From: Brian Drumm <drummstick@mac.com> Subject: Re: Newbee + piles of Claris Draw On 3/16/05 at 23:26 hours, field agent "Richard D. Foley" transmitting from outpost <rerailer@earthlink.net>, reported the following intelligence: > I have at least 250 Claris Draw and MacDrawPro documents that I > need to convert. These are pre Mac OS X files. They display ok on > my screen but I can not get them to print. I'm sure not having > much luck! Any suggestions? I'm talking off the top of my head here, but aren't Claris Draw and MacDrawPro vector programs? Opening vector files in any raster program (GraphicConverter, Photoshop, whatever) renders them essentially non-editable and nullifies their main advantage: near infinite scalability. If you need to protect these attributes in your files, I'd suggest you try opening them in a vector drawing program, such as Freehand or Illustrator. Or, if these apps are not available to you, perhaps they would open in AppleWorks? I have no such files on hand to test, but ClarisWorks did evolve into AppleWorks, so it seems reasonable that at least the Claris Draw files would open. Other than printing, you don't indicate the use to which you want to put these files. If medium quality printouts are your only goal, or if you are using the files as web graphics or PowerPoint slides, the solution suggested by Al Treder should work well. Regards, -- Brian Drumm ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ran Barton

Post by Ran Barton »

A reminder to the digest readers to trim, please, their posts, saving us the repetition of an entire day's messages. Thank you, Ran On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:57:02 +0000, James Foster-Turner <J.FosterTurner@btinternet.com> wrote: > Printing an extra blank page query > > I believe you may need to set your lower page margin above 0.6 > > Most printers have a paper 'grab' space on the lower margin. On my > Epson Stylus Color 880 it is 2cm! > > If your settings encroach on the printers own margins you will be in > effect tiling each picture. > > hope this helps, James. > > On 17 Mar 2005, at 09:23, gcmac@yahoogroups.com wrote: > > There are 25 messages in this issue. > > Topics in this digest: > <snip>
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

>Printing an extra blank page query > >I believe you may need to set your lower page margin above 0.6 > >Most printers have a paper 'grab' space on the lower margin. On my >Epson Stylus Color 880 it is 2cm! > >If your settings encroach on the printers own margins you will be in >effect tiling each picture. > >hope this helps, James. I just printed a picture with all margins of 3.60 inches and Reduce/enlarge to fit page. The printout was at the maximum size (margins of less that 0.5 inches), with a blank page. Interesting. Thanks, will play with this some more. -- Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO http://www.ibrb.org/