color correction for underwater photos

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
cwskas

color correction for underwater photos

Post by cwskas »

I have a few photos that were taken without a filter underwater. I have been trying to figure out how to correct the color to make the colors more natural. They are very green, the reds are almost all gone. I have a filter for the camera which does a very good job of correcting, but I didnt remember to take the filter during the first few times. I will post a sample of what I have to work with called ray.jpg in the files section. Thanks, Willie
pegasus1457

Re: color correction for underwater photos

Post by pegasus1457 »

In GC, select Picture -> Brightness/Contrast deselect Link sliders. I got something reasonable for Red +49 Green -57 Blue -38, Contrast RGB +20. But you have to realize that when red is gone it is gone. Below about 3m depth there isn't any red left from the incident sunlight and a filter won't help you. The only solution is to supply your own light (flash) Micheal --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "cwskas" <willie@i...> wrote: > > I have a few photos that were taken without a filter underwater. I have been trying to figure > out how to correct the color to make the colors more natural. They are very green, the reds > are almost all gone. I have a filter for the camera which does a very good job of correcting, > but I didnt remember to take the filter during the first few times. > > I will post a sample of what I have to work with called ray.jpg in the files section. > > Thanks, > > Willie >
Michael

Post by Michael »

(Sorry for resurrecting a very old thread.) Not exactly true that when the red is gone it's gone. I have some scripts that work with GIMP and which do a fine job of recreating the missing red pixels from the blue and green. Not perfect, but they do significantly enhance underwater photos, even those taken at depth without a strobe. (I can get very similar results in GC using White Correction and Color Balance.) Now, I wonder if anyone has created an "Underwater" plugin filter for GC? > But you have to realize that when red is gone it is gone. Below about 3m depth there isn't > any red left from the incident sunlight and a filter won't help you. The only solution is to > supply your own light (flash) > > Micheal > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "cwskas" <willie@i...> wrote: > > > > I have a few photos that were taken without a filter underwater. I have been trying to > figure > > out how to correct the color to make the colors more natural. They are very green, the > reds > > are almost all gone. I have a filter for the camera which does a very good job of > correcting, > > but I didnt remember to take the filter during the first few times. > > > > I will post a sample of what I have to work with called ray.jpg in the files section. > > > > Thanks, > > > > Willie > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi, Did you try the xe847 filter? Thorsten > Von: Michael <mgnewman@mac.com> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 01:54:33 -0000 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: [gcmac] Re: color correction for underwater photos > > (Sorry for resurrecting a very old thread.) > > Not exactly true that when the red is gone it's gone. I have some scripts that > work with > GIMP and which do a fine job of recreating the missing red pixels from the > blue and green. Not perfect, but they do significantly enhance underwater > photos, even those taken at depth without a strobe. > > (I can get very similar results in GC using White Correction and Color > Balance.) > > Now, I wonder if anyone has created an "Underwater" plugin filter for GC?
Michael

Post by Michael »

I did try the xe847 filter. It works very well in some cases, not so well in others. I should add that I'm a real tyro when it comes to underwater photography. I'm still experimenting with filters (very red for deep dives), white balance settings at various depths, etc. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hi, > > Did you try the xe847 filter? > > Thorsten > > > > Von: Michael <mgnewman@...> > > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > Datum: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 01:54:33 -0000 > > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > Betreff: [gcmac] Re: color correction for underwater photos > > > > (Sorry for resurrecting a very old thread.) > > > > Not exactly true that when the red is gone it's gone. I have some scripts that > > work with > > GIMP and which do a fine job of recreating the missing red pixels from the > > blue and green. Not perfect, but they do significantly enhance underwater > > photos, even those taken at depth without a strobe. > > > > (I can get very similar results in GC using White Correction and Color > > Balance.) > > > > Now, I wonder if anyone has created an "Underwater" plugin filter for GC? >
Michael Newman

Post by Michael Newman »

Here are three versions of the same underwater photo:OriginalCorrected with GC and the Xe847 filter.Corrected with the GIMP "Diving red filter".I'm sure I could obtain better results with GC. Any suggestions? -- http://www.mgnewman.com