Problem downloading photos from camera

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Gordon B. Alley

Problem downloading photos from camera

Post by Gordon B. Alley »

Recently, I reported a problem downloading photos from my Kodak DX6490 camera. GC was quitting unexpectedly when I tried to download, and Thorsten suggested that it was due to a conflict with Haxies. A recent beta fixed that problem. I am now able to set GC as my image download application, and it will start automatically when I push the download button on the camera's dock. Tonight, I ran into a different problem. After quitting and restarting GC, I haven't been able to reproduce it, but figured I'd report it anyway. In this case, GraphicConverter v5.2 beta X was already running when I pressed the download button on the camera dock. GC did not spontaneously bring up the download dialog, so I selected "File->Acquire->Download Images from Connected Camera..." The "Download All Images from Connected Camera" dialog appeared. The "Download all images into the selected folder" button was selected. The "Add file icon and preview to images" box was checked, but the Delete images in camera after download" box was not. When I clicked the Download button, the "Select a Folder: GraphicConverter" folder selection dialog (in List mode, not Column mode) appeared. I navigated to my ~/Pictures folder, clicked the New Folder button, entered the name "2004-06 Fiesta Texas" for the new folder, and clicked the Create button. The selection dialog changed to show "2004-06 Fiesta Texas" in the folder popup at the top of the dialog, with no files or folders showing (as expected). I clicked the Choose button. The "Download Images from Selected Camera" dialog appeared. It appeared to quickly step through images (the numbers in the lower left corner where changing several times per second). Then the thumbnail for the 1st image was displayed, along with its name, and GC appeared to start downloading it. But instead it put up the following alert: System error "File not found; Folder not found; (-43)" occurred in document "100-0848.JPG". When I clicked the OK button, the alert closed and GC tried to download the next image. But again the alert came up (with the new image's name). Each image produced the same result. There were 163 images in the camera, and I had a hard time clicking the "Stop Downloading" button because the alert window would reappear so quickly (I finally succeeded by hovering the mouse pointer over the Stop Downloading button which was behind and a little below the alert window, then hitting ESC and clicking as fast as I could). When I looked in my ~/Pictures folder, there was no "2004-06 Fiesta Texas" folder there. I repeated this sequence of events several times (without quitting GC). At one point, I switched to the Finder to create the "2004-06 Fiesta Texas" folder, and then repeated the sequence, but just selected that folder instead of creating a new one. I got the same result, and again that folder was gone after the download failed (as if GC was somehow deleting it). After quitting GC, I pressed the button on the camera's dock again to start the download, and GC was automatically started, bringing up a different download dialog (I believe it offered the option to download only selected images -- I never use that option). I was able to successfully download all 163 images without trouble. Later, I tried to repeat the sequence of events above that led to the problem, but couldn't get it to mess up again. iMac G4 800, 1GB RAM, OS X 10.3.4. -- <http://galley.home.texas.net>