Slide Show

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Hagen Henke

Slide Show

Post by Hagen Henke »

Hello, should it be Slide Show or Slideshow I asked my manual translator some time ago but do not remember exactly what he said. Native speaker please advice. Regards, Hagen Henke
Al Treder

Re: Slide Show

Post by Al Treder »

Hagen, According to current usage, it should be "slideshow." After awhile, we tend to combine words into one for apparent convenience. However, it's a good question, since the word combination is probably made of separate words initially. -- Al Treder On Dec 5, 2004, at 03:00, Hagen Henke wrote: > > Hello, > > should it be > > Slide Show > > or > > Slideshow > > I asked my manual translator some time ago but do not remember exactly > what > he said. Native speaker please advice. > > Regards, Hagen Henke > > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >
George Harvey

Post by George Harvey »

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Ed. shows it as slide-show, not slideshow. George Harvey On Dec 5, 2004, Al Treder wrote: > According to current usage, it should be "slideshow." After awhile, we > tend to combine words into one for apparent convenience. However, it's > a good question, since the word combination is probably made of > separate words initially.
Victoria Walker

Post by Victoria Walker »

IPhoto and other popular listings show it as Slideshow. Vicki On Sunday, December 5, 2004, at 02:09 PM, George Harvey wrote: > > The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Ed. shows > it as slide-show, not slideshow. > > George Harvey > > >
Wieland Hartwig

Post by Wieland Hartwig »

From the on-line edition of The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000. With everything in place, she started the slide show. introduced the slide show with an orienting talk. At 11:09 -0800 on 20041205, George Harvey wrote with subject "Re: [gcmac] Slide Show": >The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Ed. shows >it as slide-show, not slideshow. > >George Harvey > > >On Dec 5, 2004, Al Treder wrote: > >> According to current usage, it should be "slideshow." After awhile, we >> tend to combine words into one for apparent convenience. However, it's >> a good question, since the word combination is probably made of > > separate words initially.
Ernie Stamper

Post by Ernie Stamper »

While I am not an English major, it seems to me that one must consider that the dictionary cited is referring to a show of slides. In the usage of GC, Photoshop, etc, there technically are no slides, and thus the separation of the words "slide" and "show" implies something that is incorrect -- there is no show of slides. Slideshow would seem to be a naturally formed word to connote the "style" of progressively displaying multiple photos, in a prearranged manner. I think you are free to use either, but slideshow may be more correct than separating the words. BTW, OS X Mail's spell check does not challenge writing as one word. Ernie On Dec 5, 2004, at 6:00 AM, Hagen Henke wrote: > Hello, > > should it be > > Slide Show > > or > > Slideshow > > I asked my manual translator some time ago but do not remember > exactly what > he said. Native speaker please advice. > > Regards, Hagen Henke > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor > > ADVERTISEMENT > <111704_1104_g_300250a.gif> > <l.gif> > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > • To visit your group on the web, go to: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gcmac/ >   > • To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > gcmac-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com >   > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of > Service. > >
Sebastian Gunner

Post by Sebastian Gunner »

Slide is a noun made out of a verb. Slide as in, "slide the framed piece of emulsion into the projector". So this is technically correct however given slide has come to mean the image on the emulsion, not the emulsion itself, people don't come to see some clear plastic or even acetate, slide show is still the act of showing images. Are there any other latent pedants on this list :) On 7/12/04 11:07 AM, "Ernie Stamper" <erniew@alltel.net> wrote: > While I am not an English major, it seems to me that one must consider > that the dictionary cited is referring to a show of slides. In the > usage of GC, Photoshop, etc, there technically are no slides, and thus > the separation of the words "slide" and "show" implies something that > is incorrect -- there is no show of slides. Slideshow would seem to be > a naturally formed word to connote the "style" of progressively > displaying multiple photos, in a prearranged manner. I think you are > free to use either, but slideshow may be more correct than separating > the words. > > BTW, OS X Mail's spell check does not challenge writing as one word. > > Ernie > > On Dec 5, 2004, at 6:00 AM, Hagen Henke wrote: > >> Hello, >> >> should it be >> >> Slide Show >> >> or >> >> Slideshow >> >> I asked my manual translator some time ago but do not remember >> exactly what >> he said. Native speaker please advice. >> >> Regards, Hagen Henke >> >> >> >> >> >> >> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor >> >> ADVERTISEMENT >> <111704_1104_g_300250a.gif> >> <l.gif> >> >> Yahoo! Groups Links >> >> € To visit your group on the web, go to: >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gcmac/ >>   >> € To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: >> gcmac-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com >>   >> € Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of >> Service. >> >>
Linda Muscato

Post by Linda Muscato »

I think I would like to say... don't we all understand what the meaning is as it relates to GC? Let us spend our time on all there is to learn about this wonderful program. We can study the dictionary and English at a different place and time. > > Slide is a noun made out of a verb. Slide as in, "slide the framed piece of > emulsion into the projector". So this is technically correct however given > slide has come to mean the image on the emulsion, not the emulsion itself, > people don't come to see some clear plastic or even acetate, slide show is > still the act of showing images. Are there any other latent pedants on this > list :) > > On 7/12/04 11:07 AM, "Ernie Stamper" <erniew@alltel.net> wrote: > >> While I am not an English major, it seems to me that one must consider >> that the dictionary cited is referring to a show of slides. In the >> usage of GC, Photoshop, etc, there technically are no slides, and thus >> the separation of the words "slide" and "show" implies something that >> is incorrect -- there is no show of slides. Slideshow would seem to be >> a naturally formed word to connote the "style" of progressively >> displaying multiple photos, in a prearranged manner. I think you are >> free to use either, but slideshow may be more correct than separating >> the words. >> >> BTW, OS X Mail's spell check does not challenge writing as one word. >> >> Ernie >> >> On Dec 5, 2004, at 6:00 AM, Hagen Henke wrote: >> >>> Hello, >>> >>> should it be >>> >>> Slide Show >>> >>> or >>> >>> Slideshow >>> >>> I asked my manual translator some time ago but do not remember >>> exactly what >>> he said. Native speaker please advice. >>> >>> Regards, Hagen Henke >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor >>> >>> ADVERTISEMENT >>> <111704_1104_g_300250a.gif> >>> <l.gif> >>> >>> Yahoo! Groups Links >>> >>> € To visit your group on the web, go to: >>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gcmac/ >>>   >>> € To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: >>> gcmac-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com >>>   >>> € Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of >>> Service. >>> >>> > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >
Brian Drumm

Post by Brian Drumm »

On 12/6/04 at 19:07 hours, field agent "Ernie Stamper" transmitting from outpost <erniew@alltel.net>, reported the following intelligence: >While I am not an English major, it seems to me that one must >consider that the dictionary cited is referring to a show of >slides. I'm not an English major either, but I will be marrying one next summer. >In the usage of GC, Photoshop, etc, there technically are >no slides, and thus the separation of the words "slide" and "show" >implies something that is incorrect -- there is no show of slides. >Slideshow would seem to be a naturally formed word to connote the >"style" of progressively displaying multiple photos, in a >prearranged manner. I think you are free to use either, but >slideshow may be more correct than separating the words. Fair enough point. However, there are definitely no slides in PowerPoint either, yet the people who subject us to those gawd-awful presentations still call them that. Just because the use of the word "slide" is figurative in this context does not seem to me to justify creating a new word. I vote we leave the making up of new words to President George "Misunderestimated" Bush and stick with words that are actually found in a dictionary: "Slide show". >BTW, OS X Mail's spell check does not challenge writing as one word. Mailsmith's spell checker *does* challenge it. I wonder which illiterate machine is correct? And I'm sure Hagen was SO hoping for a simple, unanimous answer. . . -- Brian Drumm Indianapolis, IN, USA
James H Thomas MD

Post by James H Thomas MD »

Hear Hear!! On Dec 6, 2004, at 8:22 PM, Linda Muscato wrote: > I think I would like to say...  don't we all understand what the > meaning is > as it relates to GC?  Let us spend our time on all there is to learn > about > this wonderful program.  We can study the dictionary and English at a > different place and time. > > > > > Slide is a noun made out of a verb.  Slide as in, "slide the framed > piece of > > emulsion into the projector".  So this is technically correct > however given > > slide has come to mean the image on the emulsion, not the emulsion > itself, > > people don't come to see some clear plastic or even acetate, slide > show is > > still the act of showing images.  Are there any other latent > pedants on this > > list :) > > > > On 7/12/04 11:07 AM, "Ernie Stamper" <erniew@alltel.net> wrote: > > > >> While I am not an English major, it seems to me that one must > consider > >> that the dictionary cited is referring to a show  of slides.  In > the > >> usage of GC, Photoshop, etc, there technically are no slides, and > thus > >> the separation of the words "slide" and "show" implies something > that > >> is incorrect -- there is no show of slides.  Slideshow would seem > to be > >> a naturally formed word to connote the "style" of progressively > >> displaying multiple photos, in a prearranged manner.  I think you > are > >> free to use either, but slideshow may be more correct than > separating > >> the words. > >> > >> BTW, OS X Mail's spell check does not challenge writing as one > word. > >> > >> Ernie > >> > >> On Dec 5, 2004, at 6:00 AM, Hagen Henke wrote: > >> > >>> Hello, > >>> > >>>  should it be > >>> > >>>  Slide Show > >>> > >>>  or > >>> > >>>  Slideshow > >>> > >>>  I asked my manual translator some time ago but do not remember > >>> exactly what > >>>  he said. Native speaker please advice. > >>> > >>>  Regards, Hagen Henke > >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor > >>> > >>> ADVERTISEMENT > >>> <111704_1104_g_300250a.gif> > >>> <l.gif> > >>> > >>> Yahoo! Groups Links > >>> > >>> €     To visit your group on the web, go to: > >>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gcmac/ > >>>   > >>> €      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > >>> gcmac-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > >>>   > >>> €      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of > >>> Service. > >>> > >>>  > > > > > > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor > > ADVERTISEMENT > <lrec_companion_043004.gif> > <l.gif> > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > • To visit your group on the web, go to: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gcmac/ >   > • To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > gcmac-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com >   > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of > Service. > >