GC browser feature request

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Geoffrey F. Green

Post by Geoffrey F. Green »

I've found the slideshow command-key equivalents (cmd-1 ... cmd-9) for copying photos to a designated folder very helpful for my current project, which is browsing through this year's collection of photos and choosing the best for a photo calendar (the grandparents love 'em). It would be great if we could have this functionality in the browser because that's the point at which I choose many of the photos. It would also be helpful if the command-keys worked when a photo is open, for that reason. on a whim, I tried cmd-1 in the browser, and the photo vanished somewhere. So I suppose it's not implemented! - geoff
Brian Drumm

Re: GC browser feature request

Post by Brian Drumm »

On Friday, December 10, 2004, at 08:41PM, Geoffrey F. Green <geoff-public@stuebegreen.com> wrote: > >I've found the slideshow command-key equivalents (cmd-1 ... cmd-9) for >copying photos to a designated folder very helpful for my current project, >which is browsing through this year's collection of photos and choosing the >best for a photo calendar (the grandparents love 'em). It would be great if >we could have this functionality in the browser because that's the point at >which I choose many of the photos. It would also be helpful if the >command-keys worked when a photo is open, for that reason. > >on a whim, I tried cmd-1 in the browser, and the photo vanished somewhere. >So I suppose it's not implemented! Actually, I think you just did what I've done before on occasion: request a feature that is already implemented. I designated a folder for command-1 in browser preferences, and then pressed command-1 with an image selected in the browser. The image went to the designated folder. When you say the photo "vanished somewhere," did you check the folder you have designated for that key command? It does not seem to work for images that are open, though. I'm not a programmer, but somehow I suspect the logistics of moving a file while it is open may be kind of dicey. Anyway, that's a great idea and a great feature. Thanks for discovering it! It was news to me. Now it's my turn to request a feature that may already exist and I just don't know how to do it: I'd like to designate a folder into which I would *always* download images from my digital camera into so I would not have to navigate to the same folder every time I invoke Acquire>Download images from connected camera. Is there a way to do this I am not seeing? Or is this something that could be incorporated into the prefs (General>Digital Camera would seem to be a logical place to put it). -- Brian Drumm Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Christopher Stone

Post by Christopher Stone »

At 21:40 -0500 12/10/2004, Geoffrey F. Green wrought: >I've found the slideshow command-key equivalents (cmd-1 ... cmd-9) for >copying photos to a designated folder very helpful >... >on a whim, I tried cmd-1 in the browser, and the photo vanished somewhere. ______________________________________________________________________ In the slideshow the key command *copies* the picture to the designated folder. In the browser the key command *moves* the picture to the designated folder. Chris
Hagen Henke

Post by Hagen Henke »

Hello, do you want to avoid the dialog when importing? Regards, Hagen Am 11.12.2004 4:24 Uhr schrieb "Brian Drumm" unter <drummstick@mac.com>: > I'd like to designate a folder into which I would *always* download images > from my digital camera into so I would not have to navigate to the same folder > every time I invoke Acquire>Download images from connected camera. Is there a > way to do this I am not seeing? Or is this something that could be > incorporated into the prefs (General>Digital Camera would seem to be a logical > place to put it).
Geoffrey F. Green

Post by Geoffrey F. Green »

On 12/11/04 3:32 AM, Brian Drumm wrote: > > On Friday, December 10, 2004, at 08:41PM, Geoffrey F. Green > <geoff-public@stuebegreen.com> wrote: > >> >> I've found the slideshow command-key equivalents (cmd-1 ... cmd-9) for >> copying photos to a designated folder very helpful for my current project, >> which is browsing through this year's collection of photos and choosing the >> best for a photo calendar (the grandparents love 'em). It would be great if >> we could have this functionality in the browser because that's the point at >> which I choose many of the photos. It would also be helpful if the >> command-keys worked when a photo is open, for that reason. >> >> on a whim, I tried cmd-1 in the browser, and the photo vanished somewhere. >> So I suppose it's not implemented! > > Actually, I think you just did what I've done before on occasion: request a > feature that is already implemented. > > I designated a folder for command-1 in browser preferences, and then pressed > command-1 with an image selected in the browser. The image went to the > designated folder. When you say the photo "vanished somewhere," did you check > the folder you have designated for that key command? Huh, how about that. It does move the file. I tested it again. Thanks for figuring this out for me. It's behavior is different from the behavior in the slideshow, however, in two ways which resulted in my confusion. First, the reason I didn't notice the file had moved in the first place was because there already was a photo by that name in the destination. In the slideshow, when you try to copy (or move) a file and there's already a file by the same name in the destination, GC throws up a dialog warning you and allowing you to choose which one should survive. There was no warning when I hit the command in the browser. Second, the browser doesn't appear to respect the option in "Preferences:Slide Show:Move Folders" to "Copy instead of move for folders 1 to 10." I have it checked, and it copies when I invoke it from the slideshow, but as I noted, it simply moves it out of the old folder and into the new folder when invoked from the browser So I guess my revised feature request is to have the behavior consistent whether the command is invokved in the slideshow or the browser (and maybe the preferences should make clear that it works in both). > It does not seem to work for images that are open, though. I'm not a > programmer, but somehow I suspect the logistics of moving a file while it is > open may be kind of dicey. > > Anyway, that's a great idea and a great feature. Thanks for discovering it! It > was news to me. - geoff
Brian Drumm

Post by Brian Drumm »

On Saturday, December 11, 2004 at 4:07 AM, field agent Christopher Stone, in a communique transmitted from outpost <listmeister@cox.net>, reported the following intelligence: >In the slideshow the key command *copies* the picture to the >designated folder. > >In the browser the key command *moves* the picture to the >designated folder. Doesn't this depend on how you have preferences set under Slide Show>Move Folders? I see Thorsten has brilliantly given us the option to move *or* copy in the first 10 folders. I'm glad this discussion came up. I've never paid enough attention to the Slide show feature and now that I have a better understanding of how it works, I will use it more for checking sharpness of images and sorting. -- Brian Drumm Indianapolis, Indiana, USA <www.tripleplayphoto.com>
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello, this will be fixed in the next version. Thorsten > > On Saturday, December 11, 2004 at 4:07 AM, field agent Christopher > Stone, in a communique transmitted from outpost > <listmeister@cox.net>, reported the following intelligence: > >> In the slideshow the key command *copies* the picture to the >> designated folder. >> >> In the browser the key command *moves* the picture to the >> designated folder. > > Doesn't this depend on how you have preferences set under Slide > Show>Move Folders? I see Thorsten has brilliantly given us the option to > move *or* copy in the first 10 folders. > > I'm glad this discussion came up. I've never paid enough attention to > the Slide show feature and now that I have a better understanding of how > it works, I will use it more for checking sharpness of images and > sorting. > > -- >
Jim Mueller

Post by Jim Mueller »

Thorsten - It just occurred to me that if the browser's tool icons & header were much smaller I'd be able to see four full rows of thumbnails on my 17" MacBook Pro. Would it be a relatively simple thing to give an option like in Mail or the Finder to give the options Icon & Text, Icon Only, Text Only and have the Tool area shrink appropriately? I'd turn off the Tool header display completely but the tools make it very easy for me to use the contextual menu with the single-button trackpad. - Jim Mueller
Carter Crain

Post by Carter Crain »

I only have a 15" MacBook Pro and I can see 12.5 rows of thumbnails with the tool icons and headers. When I click on the lozenge [elongated button in the upper right corner of the window, the tools disappear and I can see 14 full rows. That is with the thumbnails at 50x50 [ I usually look at them as 100x100]. And only the name showing. On 5/4/07 4:06 PM, "Jim Mueller" <jimmueller@mac.com> wrote: > Thorsten - > > It just occurred to me that if the browser's tool icons & header were > much smaller I'd be able to see four full rows of thumbnails on my > 17" MacBook Pro. > Would it be a relatively simple thing to give an option like in Mail > or the Finder to give the options Icon & Text, Icon Only, Text Only > and have the Tool area shrink appropriately? I'd turn off the Tool > header display completely but the tools make it very easy for me to > use the contextual menu with the single-button trackpad. > > - Jim Mueller > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > -- Carter Crain fcc@ndlpt.com 713/627-2202 3701 W Alabama #302 Houston, TX 77027
Jim Mueller

Post by Jim Mueller »

I should have specified more parameters - 50x50 thumbnails are unusable to these 50+ year old peepers - especially on the MBP's hi-resolution screen. I usually have them set to 200x200 so I can see what I am sorting.On May 4, 2007, at 5:25 PM, Carter Crain wrote: I only have a 15" MacBook Pro and I can see 12.5 rows of thumbnails with thetool icons and headers.When I click on the lozenge [elongated button in the upper right corner ofthe window, the tools disappear and I can see 14 full rows.That is with the thumbnails at 50x50 [ I usually look at them as 100x100].And only the name showing.On 5/4/07 4:06 PM, "Jim Mueller" <jimmueller@mac.com> wrote:> Thorsten -> > It just occurred to me that if the browser's tool icons & header were> much smaller I'd be able to see four full rows of thumbnails on my> 17" MacBook Pro.> Would it be a relatively simple thing to give an option like in Mail> or the Finder to give the options Icon & Text, Icon Only, Text Only> and have the Tool area shrink appropriately? I'd turn off the Tool> header display completely but the tools make it very easy for me to> use the contextual menu with the single-button trackpad.> > - Jim Mueller