Rotate a movie?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
martin

Rotate a movie?

Post by martin »

I used a friends sony dig camera in movie mode to get a movie of them dancing at the local senior center. I held the camera with the long axis vertical as that seemed more standard when photographing standing subjects. But I failed to take into account that the movie would be rotated when downloaded and viewed. Can the movie be rotated, and if so - how? thanks, martin
Gordon Alley

Re: Rotate a movie?

Post by Gordon Alley »

There is a way to do it with QuickTime Pro, and I know there are some 3rd-party plugin's for the old iMovie that will do that.Check out these links:< http://www.gbradhopkins.com/archives/20 ... hp?t=67352>< http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Video/Rota ... ml>-Gordon On 10/10/07, martin <mschiller@pobox.com> wrote: I used a friends sony dig camera in movie mode to get a movie of themdancing at the local senior center. I held the camera with the longaxis vertical as that seemed more standard when photographing standingsubjects. But I failed to take into account that the movie would be rotated when downloaded and viewed.Can the movie be rotated, and if so - how?thanks, martin-- Gordon B. Alleyhttp://www.gordonalley.com
Jeffrey Lomicka

Post by Jeffrey Lomicka »

Belive it or not, QuickTime Pro can do this. Open the movie properties window, select the video track, select the Visual Settings tab, and click on one of the flip/rotate icons. >I used a friends sony dig camera in movie mode to get a movie of them >dancing at the local senior center. I held the camera with the long >axis vertical as that seemed more standard when photographing standing >subjects. But I failed to take into account that the movie would be >rotated when downloaded and viewed. > >Can the movie be rotated, and if so - how?
Marino Pascal

Post by Marino Pascal »

Jeffrey Lomicka wrote: > Believe it or not, QuickTime Pro can do this. > I bought QuickTime Pro once and I'll never do it again. Every few months QuickTime gets updated and then you lose your QuickTime Pro license. That's Apple's biggest rip-off. Gordon thanks for the iMovie plug-ins. Marino
Lawrence Fagan

Post by Lawrence Fagan »

Martin,The new iMovie 08 has a rotate feature. However, I've only been able to get iMovie '08 to import quicktime movies. We haven't figured out how to import .avi movies, which is the format her camera records in.Larry On Oct 10, 2007, at 11:46 AM, martin wrote: I used a friends sony dig camera in movie mode to get a movie of them dancing at the local senior center. I held the camera with the long axis vertical as that seemed more standard when photographing standing subjects. But I failed to take into account that the movie would be rotated when downloaded and viewed.Can the movie be rotated, and if so - how?thanks, martin
Joey

Post by Joey »

That is incorrect. You only have to buy a new QuickTime Pro license when a new major version number comes out (like from 6 to 7), which hasn't happend in a couple of years. Minor updates don't affect your license. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Marino Pascal <weblists@...> wrote: > > I bought QuickTime Pro once and I'll never do it again. > Every few months QuickTime gets updated and then you lose your QuickTime > Pro license. > That's Apple's biggest rip-off. > > Gordon thanks for the iMovie plug-ins. > > Marino >
Tom Robinson

Post by Tom Robinson »

On 2007-10-11, at 09:34, Marino Pascal wrote: > I bought QuickTime Pro once and I'll never do it again. > Every few months QuickTime gets updated and then you lose your > QuickTime > Pro license. > That's Apple's biggest rip-off. Of course that's your choice and you should only buy software that's of value to you. Very few pieces of software have a license which entitles you to unlimited future upgrades, QuickTime Pro is not one of them. For the record QuickTime 4 was released 1999, 5 was 2001, 6 was 2002, and 7 was 2005--so we're talking years, not months (I also seem to remember a Pro key lasting across a couple of major revisions, but can't see any docs on that).
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

One Gotcha from Apple is that if you do an update to Quicktime (to a new level, 6 to 7 for example}. The Pro license is voided. So you need to be careful with "System Software Updates". On Oct 10, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Tom Robinson wrote:On 2007-10-11, at 09:34, Marino Pascal wrote: I bought QuickTime Pro once and I'll never do it again.Every few months QuickTime gets updated and then you lose your  QuickTime Pro license.That's Apple's biggest rip-off. Of course that's your choice and you should only buy software that's  of value to you.Very few pieces of software have a license which entitles you to  unlimited future upgrades, QuickTime Pro is not one of them.For the record QuickTime 4 was released 1999, 5 was 2001, 6 was 2002,  and 7 was 2005--so we're talking years, not months (I also seem to  remember a Pro key lasting across a couple of major revisions, but  can't see any docs on that). Bob Poland - Fort Collins, CO
Marino Pascal

Post by Marino Pascal »

My problem is that QuickTime is used by hundreds of programs including GraphicConverter. It's in the guts of the Apple operating system. If it gets updated, I *have to* update. It's free, it's wonderful, I don't complain about it. When I update QuickTime no other program asks me to renew their license. QuickTime Pro does. I should have the option whether I want to update QuickTime Pro or not. I won't argue how often that happens. Do you know when the next "major" QuickTime revision is going to be? Maybe tomorrow, maybe next year. I know that I lost my license just a few months after I paid for it. Anyway. Nobody needs QuickTime Pro. You can edit movies with iMovie You can convert to different formats with VisualHub You can save movie files from the browser with Firefox We all use and love Macs here, we don't need to defend Apple on *everything* they do. But if you feel the need... go for it... Marino Tom Robinson wrote: > On 2007-10-11, at 09:34, Marino Pascal wrote: > > >> I bought QuickTime Pro once and I'll never do it again. >> Every few months QuickTime gets updated and then you lose your >> QuickTime >> Pro license. >> That's Apple's biggest rip-off. >> > > Of course that's your choice and you should only buy software that's > of value to you. > > Very few pieces of software have a license which entitles you to > unlimited future upgrades, QuickTime Pro is not one of them. > > For the record QuickTime 4 was released 1999, 5 was 2001, 6 was 2002, > and 7 was 2005--so we're talking years, not months (I also seem to > remember a Pro key lasting across a couple of major revisions, but > can't see any docs on that). > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > -- Marino Pascal 2525 Crestmoore Pl Los Angeles, CA 90065 323-254-9272 http://locationscout.com
Tim

Post by Tim »

I want to say it was QT 3->QT 4 that might have been free. It could have been QT 4->QT 5. I seem to remember one of the installers mentioning that Pro features were going to be disabled (when it was installing); it might have been the QT 7 installer that mentioned it. But to echo what others have said; it hasn't been months that you need to upgrade; it's a matter of years. Unless every minor update invalidates pirated serial number (I don't think Apple's done this yet, but then again, if you're going that route...), I've never had my Pro features disabled unless it's a major update (e.g. 5.xx->6.xx, 6.xx->7.xx). I'd expect that QT8 Pro would cost some money. I'm not sure we'd see QT8 until at least next year at the earliest. On Oct 10, 2007, at 1:55 PM, Tom Robinson wrote: > On 2007-10-11, at 09:34, Marino Pascal wrote: > >> I bought QuickTime Pro once and I'll never do it again. >> Every few months QuickTime gets updated and then you lose your >> QuickTime >> Pro license. >> That's Apple's biggest rip-off. > > Of course that's your choice and you should only buy software that's > of value to you. > > Very few pieces of software have a license which entitles you to > unlimited future upgrades, QuickTime Pro is not one of them. > > For the record QuickTime 4 was released 1999, 5 was 2001, 6 was 2002, > and 7 was 2005--so we're talking years, not months (I also seem to > remember a Pro key lasting across a couple of major revisions, but > can't see any docs on that). > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > >