Maybe GC problem and maybe not

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Chuck Boody

Maybe GC problem and maybe not

Post by Chuck Boody »

I use An Epson Twain Driver and GC for scanning archival photos, and it has worked well until... I now have Snow Leopard on the Mac (Stay away folks if you haven't upgraded...too darn many little things will go wrong). Each time I activate the Twain driver it gives me a list of available scanners (only the one) and asks me to select the scanner. I do so and the scan works as it should. HOWEVER, when I try to do a second scan I get asked again what scanner I want to use and when I select the scanner GC freezes. Epson Scan program works as it should, so I suspect the issue is the interface with Twain in GC. I hope Thorsten can help... Thanks, Chuck Boody
thorstenlemke

Re: Maybe GC problem and maybe not

Post by thorstenlemke »

Re: [gcmac] Maybe GC problem and maybe not Hello Chuck, Many thanks for your e-mail. There are some bugs in the TWAIN sdk on 10.6.x. I hope that this will be fixed by Apple. Thorsten Von: Chuck Boody <cboody@mcfmail.net> Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Datum: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:17:56 -0600 An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Betreff: [gcmac] Maybe GC problem and maybe not           I use An Epson Twain Driver and GC for scanning archival photos, and it has worked well until...  I now have Snow Leopard on the Mac (Stay away folks if you haven't upgraded...too darn many little things will go wrong).  Each time I activate the Twain driver it gives me a list of available scanners (only the one) and asks me to select the scanner.  I do so and the scan works as it should.  HOWEVER, when I try to do a second scan I get asked again what scanner I want to use and when I select the scanner GC freezes.  Epson Scan program works as it should, so I suspect the issue is the interface with Twain in GC. I hope Thorsten can help... Thanks, Chuck Boody  
watcombeman

Post by watcombeman »

This is a long-standing problem - it is not peculiar to Epson scanners and it goes back at least to Leopard (10.5.x). The symptoms were and AFAIK still are exactly as you describe up to the point at which GC freezes. I cannot reproduce this - I have just tried half a dozen successive scans and all worked OK. What do you see in the GC log when it freezes? Assuming you can get over this phenomenon (try the time-honoured ditching of the GC preferences)... There are a few work-arounds: 1. Live with it - it's tedious but you can use the scanner direct with GC. 2. Use the Epson Scan application direct, and set it up so that the scanned image goes to a special folder(in your Pictures folder, say), which will open on completion of the scan. You can then open the scanned file by double-clicking it. You can do s series of scans and open them all together. This is my choice. 3. Use Image Capture, and set it up to scan to GraphicConverter (select the scanner, then Show Details to set the parameters you want). 4. Use VueScan - bit of a last resort, this... IIRC it is possible to get the old arrangements to work by opening GC in Rosetta, but this may no longer be an option - and of course you are throwing away the advantages of using Intel. The last two, of course, don't use the Epson scanner software. I haven't tried VueScan in a while. Thorsten once suggested that he might produce a slave application to get the interface to work, but maybe he found that this wasn't on - and he's probably got enough on his plate at the moment! I'm sorry you've had problems with Snow Leopard - apart from a bit of culture shock, I've had none, and reading uk.comp.sys.mac, this seems to be the general experience unless you go in for haxies or similar add-ons (and most of these have been updated for Snow Leopard). John. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Boody <cboody@...> wrote: > > I use An Epson Twain Driver and GC for scanning archival photos, and it has worked well until... I now have Snow Leopard on the Mac (Stay away folks if you haven't upgraded...too darn many little things will go wrong). Each time I activate the Twain driver it gives me a list of available scanners (only the one) and asks me to select the scanner. I do so and the scan works as it should. HOWEVER, when I try to do a second scan I get asked again what scanner I want to use and when I select the scanner GC freezes. Epson Scan program works as it should, so I suspect the issue is the interface with Twain in GC. > > I hope Thorsten can help... > > Thanks, > > > Chuck Boody >
mikegcecil

Post by mikegcecil »

I have the same problem with hp multifunction printer. Sometimes it works, I select Twain, and the preference pane appears where I can select resolution, etc. Then sometimes this preference pain hangs, and while I can still use gc, I obviously cannot scan. Included with the printe/scanner was some ocr software. It works flawlessly with the twain interface. The same preference pane appears as with gc, but does not freeze. So part of the problem must be in gc. So I am using my OCR software as the only way to scan from my hp m1005 mfp (that I know of). Actually my primary interest in gc has been as twain scanning software for OSX. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "watcombeman" <john@...> wrote: > > This is a long-standing problem - it is not peculiar to Epson scanners and it goes back at least to Leopard (10.5.x). The symptoms were and AFAIK still are exactly as you describe up to the point at which GC freezes. I cannot reproduce this - I have just tried half a dozen successive scans and all worked OK. > > What do you see in the GC log when it freezes? Assuming you can get over this phenomenon (try the time-honoured ditching of the GC preferences)... > > There are a few work-arounds: > 1. Live with it - it's tedious but you can use the scanner direct with GC. > 2. Use the Epson Scan application direct, and set it up so that the scanned image goes to a special folder(in your Pictures folder, say), which will open on completion of the scan. You can then open the scanned file by double-clicking it. You can do s series of scans and open them all together. This is my choice. > 3. Use Image Capture, and set it up to scan to GraphicConverter (select the scanner, then Show Details to set the parameters you want). > 4. Use VueScan - bit of a last resort, this... > > IIRC it is possible to get the old arrangements to work by opening GC in Rosetta, but this may no longer be an option - and of course you are throwing away the advantages of using Intel. > > The last two, of course, don't use the Epson scanner software. I haven't tried VueScan in a while. > > Thorsten once suggested that he might produce a slave application to get the interface to work, but maybe he found that this wasn't on - and he's probably got enough on his plate at the moment! > > I'm sorry you've had problems with Snow Leopard - apart from a bit of culture shock, I've had none, and reading uk.comp.sys.mac, this seems to be the general experience unless you go in for haxies or similar add-ons (and most of these have been updated for Snow Leopard). > > John. > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Boody <cboody@> wrote: > > > > I use An Epson Twain Driver and GC for scanning archival photos, and it has worked well until... I now have Snow Leopard on the Mac (Stay away folks if you haven't upgraded...too darn many little things will go wrong). Each time I activate the Twain driver it gives me a list of available scanners (only the one) and asks me to select the scanner. I do so and the scan works as it should. HOWEVER, when I try to do a second scan I get asked again what scanner I want to use and when I select the scanner GC freezes. Epson Scan program works as it should, so I suspect the issue is the interface with Twain in GC. > > > > I hope Thorsten can help... > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > Chuck Boody > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Re: [gcmac] Re: Maybe GC problem and maybe not Hello, The main problem is that Apple did change a lot of in the TWAIN backend. I call currently the documented TWAIN SDK functions. This does not seem to work will all drivers. Apple did implement beginning with 10.6.x direct support for many scanners into Image Capture. So, I will support this calling mechanism with version 7. I can not directly support this with the current 6.6 because this Image Capture SDK requires a Cocoa fontend. I implemented into the current beta 6.6b31 as workaround to the Aquire menu: Scan with image capture (wich calls the image capture app). Thorsten Von: mikegcecil <mikegcecil@yahoo.com> Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Datum: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:58:52 -0000 An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Betreff: [gcmac] Re: Maybe GC problem and maybe not           I have the same problem with hp multifunction printer.  Sometimes it works, I select Twain, and the preference pane appears where I can select resolution, etc. Then sometimes this preference pain hangs, and while I can still use gc, I obviously cannot scan. Included with the printe/scanner  was some ocr software.  It works flawlessly with the twain interface.  The same preference pane appears as with gc, but does not freeze.   So part of the problem must be in gc. So I am using my OCR software as the only way to scan from my hp m1005 mfp (that I know of).   Actually my primary interest in gc has been as twain scanning software for OSX.
Chuck Boody

Post by Chuck Boody »

Hi Thorsten,Anything I can do to urge Apple on??Chuck Boody On Nov 30, 2009, at 1:48 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hello Chuck, Many thanks for your e-mail. There are some bugs in the TWAIN sdk on 10.6.x. I hope that this will be fixed by Apple. Thorsten Von: Chuck Boody <cboody@mcfmail. net> Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups. com> Datum: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:17:56 -0600 An: <gcmac@yahoogroups. com> Betreff: [gcmac] Maybe GC problem and maybe not           I use An Epson Twain Driver and GC for scanning archival photos, and it has worked well until...  I now have Snow Leopard on the Mac (Stay away folks if you haven't upgraded...too darn many little things will go wrong).  Each time I activate the Twain driver it gives me a list of available scanners (only the one) and asks me to select the scanner.  I do so and the scan works as it should.  HOWEVER, when I try to do a second scan I get asked again what scanner I want to use and when I select the scanner GC freezes.  Epson Scan program works as it should, so I suspect the issue is the interface with Twain in GC. I hope Thorsten can help... Thanks, Chuck Boody  
Chuck Boody

Post by Chuck Boody »

Thanks for the thoughtful response.  See the responses below. On Nov 30, 2009, at 3:09 AM, watcombeman wrote:   This is a long-standing problem - it is not peculiar to Epson scanners and it goes back at least to Leopard (10.5.x). The symptoms were and AFAIK still are exactly as you describe up to the point at which GC freezes. I cannot reproduce this - I have just tried half a dozen successive scans and all worked OK. What do you see in the GC log when it freezes? Assuming you can get over this phenomenon (try the time-honoured ditching of the GC preferences) ...I haven't checked but I will and will post and send to Thorsten if anything interesting appears there. There are a few work-arounds: 1. Live with it - it's tedious but you can use the scanner direct with GC.Having to restart GC after each scan is really ugly. 2. Use the Epson Scan application direct, and set it up so that the scanned image goes to a special folder(in your Pictures folder, say), which will open on completion of the scan. You can then open the scanned file by double-clicking it. You can do s series of scans and open them all together. This is my choice.The only drawback here is naming the photos and controlling how I want them saved.  It is doable, but  clumsy.  It'll probably be my solution though. 3. Use Image Capture, and set it up to scan to GraphicConverter (select the scanner, then Show Details to set the parameters you want).The Epson drivers and software give better control of color restore than Image Capture does...or at least that seems to be the case with the limited sample I tried. 4. Use VueScan - bit of a last resort, this...No thanks... IIRC it is possible to get the old arrangements to work by opening GC in Rosetta, but this may no longer be an option - and of course you are throwing away the advantages of using Intel. The last two, of course, don't use the Epson scanner software. I haven't tried VueScan in a while. Thorsten once suggested that he might produce a slave application to get the interface to work, but maybe he found that this wasn't on - and he's probably got enough on his plate at the moment! I'm sorry you've had problems with Snow Leopard - apart from a bit of culture shock, I've had none, and reading uk.comp.sys. mac, this seems to be the general experience unless you go in for haxies or similar add-ons (and most of these have been updated for Snow Leopard).I'm not sure if the problems are Snow Leopard itself or problems previously there that Leopard and previous software ignored.  I can't get some fonts to work with Finale correctly.  Font choices frequently get mixed up and I can't seem to find the problem.  Probably a font numbering issue but how to find??.  I seem to have thousands of fonts suddenly.  Each time I update more seem to get added.  Granted I've a large collection on the machine, but they are NOT in the font folders and no instructions have been given to add them to the active font files.  Bias Peak breaks in a variety of ways.  Older Appleworks files will not open in Pages and Appleworks 6 will no longer run so I've lost access to many older files (fortunately I have a machine that is not Snow Leopard I can access them from).  So, I'm not a happy camper...  Definitely the worst upgrade issues I've ever had with Mac, and I go back to the 512 Mac in the dark ages....Chuck Boody
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Re: [gcmac] Maybe GC problem and maybe not Hi Chuck, first: EPSON should release native Intel drivers. Thorsten Von: Chuck Boody <cboody@mcfmail.net> Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Datum: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:45:43 -0600 An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Betreff: Re: [gcmac] Maybe GC problem and maybe not           Hi Thorsten, Anything I can do to urge Apple on?? Chuck Boody On Nov 30, 2009, at 1:48 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   
Chuck Boody

Post by Chuck Boody »

They probably will...when pigs fly :->Chuck Boody On Nov 30, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hi Chuck, first: EPSON should release native Intel drivers. Thorsten Von: Chuck Boody <cboody@mcfmail. net> Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups. com> Datum: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:45:43 -0600 An: <gcmac@yahoogroups. com> Betreff: Re: [gcmac] Maybe GC problem and maybe not           Hi Thorsten, Anything I can do to urge Apple on?? Chuck Boody On Nov 30, 2009, at 1:48 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   
Michael Logue

Post by Michael Logue »

Chuck, have you tried Linotype FontExplorer X? It is a free utility from Linotype and can check fonts for problems, find duplicate fonts, and inactivate fonts. It might help? -------------------------------------------------------------------- "Everything you know is wrong." Firesign Theater ___________________________________________________ Michael Logue The Grateful Union http://www.earthguild.com/ Earth Guild: Tools Materials Books mlogue@madison.main.nc.us ____________________________________________________