Versions, die!

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
-andy

Versions, die!

Post by -andy »

I am asking very respectfully that the great creators of GC should UNIMPLEMENT the versions feature that comes with the latest OSX. Or at least make it into an option that can be turned off. It is extremely annoying to having to deal with this feature. "Old" documents have to be either unlocked or duplicated before anything can be done to them. It is already one extra step. If you unlock it, you can't change it without all changes being saved and in order to close a project w/o saving one has to (1) Chose Revert, (2) find the version to revert to (3) Click on it (4) Click on Restore (5) Close the doc. Before: (1) Click close (2) Chose Do Not Save. Every time you open an "old" document, even if you just closed it (changes autosaved), it is again locked, requiring the extra step of unlocking it. If you chose to duplicate it, you work on the new version as if it were an never-before-saved document so it is (1) Click close (2) Chose Do Not Save but this system requires you *to know in advance* whether you will want to save it or not or you want to save it as a copy. You can't just make some changes then "Save As" something else. You have Duplicate the file and save it, then go back and go thru that maddening 5 step process of reverting to original again. I've been using PSP for all projects now, big and small, because I do not want to deal with GC. Please, restore my love fore GC.
thorstenlemke

Re: Versions, die!

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello, Go to the prefs part save and disable the versioning (this option is only visible on 10.7 or later). Thorsten > Von: -andy <andy.deltor@yahoo.com> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 04:41:53 -0000 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: [gcmac] Versions, die! > > I am asking very respectfully that the great creators of GC should UNIMPLEMENT > the versions feature that comes with the latest OSX. Or at least make it into > an option that can be turned off. > > It is extremely annoying to having to deal with this feature. "Old" documents > have to be either unlocked or duplicated before anything can be done to them. > It is already one extra step. If you unlock it, you can't change it without > all changes being saved and in order to close a project w/o saving one has to > (1) Chose Revert, (2) find the version to revert to (3) Click on it (4) Click > on Restore (5) Close the doc. Before: (1) Click close (2) Chose Do Not Save. > > Every time you open an "old" document, even if you just closed it (changes > autosaved), it is again locked, requiring the extra step of unlocking it. > > If you chose to duplicate it, you work on the new version as if it were an > never-before-saved document so it is (1) Click close (2) Chose Do Not Save but > this system requires you *to know in advance* whether you will want to save it > or not or you want to save it as a copy. > > You can't just make some changes then "Save As" something else. You have > Duplicate the file and save it, then go back and go thru that maddening 5 step > process of reverting to original again. > > I've been using PSP for all projects now, big and small, because I do not want > to deal with GC. Please, restore my love fore GC. >
Christopher Stone

Post by Christopher Stone »

On Oct 06, 2011, at 01:32, Thorsten Lemke wrote: Go to the prefs part save and disable the versioning (this option is only visible on 10.7 or later).______________________________________________________________________Hey Thorsten,Just my opinion, but I think that option should be [OFF] by default.--Best Regards,Chris
K. Benoit Evans

Re: Versions, die! AutoSave too!

Post by K. Benoit Evans »

I agree that the versioning option should be OFF by default in all applications that choose to implement it.The versions feature and it's browser are an application implementation of the TimeMachine approach, except that saves to the versions folder is made every 5 minutes. (However there are apps available to personalize the TimeMachine's hourly saves.) In fact, I don't see why Apple did not just increase the parameterization choices for Time Machine.I don't like the AutoSave feature either as it seriously compromises my personal workflow and forces me to make a Duplicate at inconvenient times. That'a another "feature" of Lion that should be OFF by default.There's a steady stream of complaints about these two features on Macintouch.com. Regards,Benoa�t Evans On 2011-10-06, at 08:26, Christopher Stone wrote:On Oct 06, 2011, at 01:32, Thorsten Lemke wrote:Go to the prefs part save and disable the versioning (this option is only visible on 10.7 or later).______________________________________________________________________Hey Thorsten,Just my opinion, but I think that option should be [OFF] by default.--Best Regards,Chris
Marino Pascal

Post by Marino Pascal »

On 10/6/11 10:33 AM, K. Benoit Evans wrote: > > > I agree that the versioning option should be OFF by default in all applications that choose to implement it. Add me to the list. I tutor people on how to use GC (for free) and before we even start, I have to spend 15 minutes checking/unchecking items in the preferences. Among others... Display-> Shrink to fit screen Save -> Do not create huge previews Save -> With the original date Browser context menu -> Show everything Browser Misc -> Don't ignore any extensions (to avoid deleting folders that contain files with hidden extensions) By the time I'm done they are bored, overwhelmed and they already dislike GC. Marino
Patrick Aquilla

Post by Patrick Aquilla »

you can add me as well … while autosave might be good in theory it just doesn't work well in practicality On Oct 6, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Marino Pascal wrote:   On 10/6/11 10:33 AM, K. Benoit Evans wrote: > > > I agree that the versioning option should be OFF by default in all applications that choose to implement it. Add me to the list. I tutor people on how to use GC (for free) and before we even start, I have to spend 15 minutes checking/unchecking items in the preferences. Among others... Display-> Shrink to fit screen Save -> Do not create huge previews Save -> With the original date Browser context menu -> Show everything Browser Misc -> Don't ignore any extensions (to avoid deleting folders that contain files with hidden extensions) By the time I'm done they are bored, overwhelmed and they already dislike GC. Marino
Technodad

Post by Technodad »

Put me down in the "keep versions" camp. Now that versioning is becoming common in Lion apps, I've started to use the rollback capability frequently. Not losing a bunch of edits because you forgot to hit Save really helps the blood pressure, too. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Aquilla <maulrat@...> wrote: > > you can add me as well … while autosave might be good in theory it just doesn't work well in practicality > > On Oct 6, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Marino Pascal wrote: > > > On 10/6/11 10:33 AM, K. Benoit Evans wrote: > > > > > > > > > I agree that the versioning option should be OFF by default in all applications that choose to implement it. > > > > Add me to the list. > > I tutor people on how to use GC (for free) and before we even start, I have to spend 15 minutes checking/unchecking items in the preferences. > > Among others... > > Display-> Shrink to fit screen > > Save -> Do not create huge previews > > Save -> With the original date > > Browser context menu -> Show everything > > Browser Misc -> Don't ignore any extensions (to avoid deleting folders that contain files with hidden extensions) > > > > By the time I'm done they are bored, overwhelmed and they already dislike GC. > > > > Marino > > >
-andy

Post by -andy »

--- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: >> Hello,> > Go to the prefs part save and disable the versioning (this option is only> visible on 10.7 or later).> > Thorsten There is no such setting in Prefs/Save.OSX 10.7.1screenshot of prefs pane 
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

Andy,You must have a old version of GraphicConverter. Version 7.4 shows it as "Support autosave and versions" checkbox. On Oct 8, 2011, at 4:20 PM, -andy wrote:--- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote:>> Hello,> > Go to the prefs part save and disable the versioning (this option is only> visible on 10.7 or later).> > ThorstenThere is no such setting in Prefs/Save.OSX 10.7.1screenshot of prefs pane  Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO
Michael 'Mickey' Sattler

Post by Michael 'Mickey' Sattler »

On Oct 8, 2011, at 13:20 , Technodad wrote: Put me down in the "keep versions" camp. Now that versioning is becoming common in Lion apps, I've started to use the rollback capability frequently. Not that Thorsten *asked* for a vote, but as one has happened I'll toss my hat into the "keep" camp.Versioning, like "natural scrolling", is something that takes a bit of getting used-to. It's been only a few months and I can't believe we ever lived without auto-save. Damn dark ages :-) Mickey--Michael 'Mickey' Sattler - San Francisco - California - USAContact info at http://www.sattlers.org/mickey/contact/I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there. -- Richard Feynman (1918 - 1988)