Problem with changing icons

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Brian Christmas

Problem with changing icons

Post by Brian Christmas »

G'daySituation: 25 folders comprising hundreds of PNG images with transparent backgrounds, created with Photoshop, with photoshop drawn borders and shadows around each icon.Desired: Change the icons to GC's icons that don't have borders. Leave as PNG'sTried: Dragged a folder of images to both From & To panels in Create & Modify, chose Create icon, clicked Go.Result: Icons remained the same.Checked: Deleted all GC prefs, restarted. Made sure 'Create icon Preview' - 'Only if one doesn't exist' was unchecked in Preferences.Latest full release of GC.Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?RegardsBrian Christmas
thorstenlemke

Re: Problem with changing icons

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello, Many thansk for your e-mail. Did you try a restart? The finder is normally really slow in updating? Which MacOS do you use? Thorsten > Von: Brian Christmas <ozsanta@gmail.com> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 06:22:36 -0000 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: [gcmac] Problem with changing icons > > G'day > Situation: 25 folders comprising hundreds of PNG images with transparent > backgrounds, created with Photoshop, with photoshop drawn borders and > shadows around each icon. > Desired: Change the icons to GC's icons that don't have borders. Leave > as PNG's > Tried: Dragged a folder of images to both From & To panels in Create & > Modify, chose Create icon, clicked Go. > Result: Icons remained the same. > Checked: Deleted all GC prefs, restarted. Made sure 'Create icon > Preview' - 'Only if one doesn't exist' was unchecked in Preferences. > Latest full release of GC. > Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? > Regards > Brian Christmas
Brian Christmas

G'day ThorstenRunning 10.7.3 on an  2.93 GHz Core i7 iMac with 16 GB ram, ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MBRebooted the iMac, restarted GC, downloaded the latest Beta of GC; same behaviour.RegardsBrian
Brian Christmas

G'day Thorsten Replied to group, but it doesn't seem to have been posted. Running 10.7.3 on an 2.93 GHz Core i7 iMac with 16 GB ram, ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB Rebooted the iMac, restarted GC, downloaded the latest Beta of GC; same behaviour. Regards Brian --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > Many thansk for your e-mail. > > Did you try a restart? The finder is normally really slow in updating? > > Which MacOS do you use? > > Thorsten > > > > Von: Brian Christmas <ozsanta@...> > > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > Datum: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 06:22:36 -0000 > > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > Betreff: [gcmac] Problem with changing icons > > > > G'day > > Situation: 25 folders comprising hundreds of PNG images with transparent > > backgrounds, created with Photoshop, with photoshop drawn borders and > > shadows around each icon. > > Desired: Change the icons to GC's icons that don't have borders. Leave > > as PNG's > > Tried: Dragged a folder of images to both From & To panels in Create & > > Modify, chose Create icon, clicked Go. > > Result: Icons remained the same. > > Checked: Deleted all GC prefs, restarted. Made sure 'Create icon > > Preview' - 'Only if one doesn't exist' was unchecked in Preferences. > > Latest full release of GC. > > Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? > > Regards > > Brian Christmas >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello, Can I please get a sample file zipped? Thorsten > Von: Brian Christmas <ozsanta@gmail.com> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 20:34:38 +1100 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: Re: [gcmac] Problem with changing icons > > G'day Thorsten > > > Running 10.7.3 on an 2.93 GHz Core i7 iMac with 16 GB ram, ATI Radeon HD 5750 > 1024 MB > > > Rebooted the iMac, restarted GC, downloaded the latest Beta of GC; same > behaviour. > > Regards > > Brian
Brian Christmas

Thorsten, an update (requested file sent direct to you earlier) If I do a 'Get Info' on one of the files that I've tried to alter the photoshop icons to GC icons, and then alter the 'Open with' to GraphicConverter, the icon immediately changes to the GC icon. I can the change the 'Open with' back to the default 'Photoshop' and the icon stays as a GC icon. Obviously this triggers the Finder to update the icon, but it's not doing it normally even after several reboots, or even a Force Quit of the Finder. If I run all the files throughout the 'Convert to PNG' option, with overwrite on, the icons all change immediately. However this is a slow option, with one folder taking 15 minutes to change the existing PNG's to exactly the same format, just to change the icons. Regards Brian --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > Can I please get a sample file zipped? > > Thorsten > > > > Von: Brian Christmas <ozsanta@...> > > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > Datum: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 20:34:38 +1100 > > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > Betreff: Re: [gcmac] Problem with changing icons > > > > G'day Thorsten > > > > > > Running 10.7.3 on an 2.93 GHz Core i7 iMac with 16 GB ram, ATI Radeon HD 5750 > > 1024 MB > > > > > > Rebooted the iMac, restarted GC, downloaded the latest Beta of GC; same > > behaviour. > > > > Regards > > > > Brian >
Brian Christmas

Another update. Executing a complete shutdown, then re-booting seems to change the icons. Previously I had only executed a re-start, which had no effect on the icons. Definitely looks like a Finder problem. Regards Brian. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Christmas" <ozsanta@...> wrote: > > Thorsten, an update (requested file sent direct to you earlier) > > If I do a 'Get Info' on one of the files that I've tried to alter the photoshop icons to GC icons, and then alter the 'Open with' to GraphicConverter, the icon immediately changes to the GC icon. I can the change the 'Open with' back to the default 'Photoshop' and the icon stays as a GC icon. > > Obviously this triggers the Finder to update the icon, but it's not doing it normally even after several reboots, or even a Force Quit of the Finder. > > If I run all the files throughout the 'Convert to PNG' option, with overwrite on, the icons all change immediately. However this is a slow option, with one folder taking 15 minutes to change the existing PNG's to exactly the same format, just to change the icons. > > Regards > > Brian > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@> wrote: > > > > Hello, > > > > Can I please get a sample file zipped? > > > > Thorsten > > > > > > > Von: Brian Christmas <ozsanta@> > > > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > > Datum: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 20:34:38 +1100 > > > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > > Betreff: Re: [gcmac] Problem with changing icons > > > > > > G'day Thorsten > > > > > > > > > Running 10.7.3 on an 2.93 GHz Core i7 iMac with 16 GB ram, ATI Radeon HD 5750 > > > 1024 MB > > > > > > > > > Rebooted the iMac, restarted GC, downloaded the latest Beta of GC; same > > > behaviour. > > > > > > Regards > > > > > > Brian > > >
Christopher Stone

Post by Christopher Stone »

Hey Brian, I haven't been following this closely, so forgive me if I've missed something. On Feb 20, 2012, at 17:38, Brian Christmas wrote: > Previously I had only executed a re-start, which had no effect on the icons. You quit and restarted GraphicConverter, or you restarted the Mac? > Executing a complete shutdown, then re-booting seems to change the icons. > > Definitely looks like a Finder problem. You tried relaunching the Finder? (Option-Control-Click on the Dock icon.) -- Best Regards, Chris
Brian Christmas

G'day Chris. I've tried... 1. re-starting GC (no effect) 2. force quitting the Finder (no effect) 3. using the re-start the iMac option (no effect) 4. shutting dow, and starting the iMac again (icons update) Regards Brian --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Stone <listmeister@...> wrote: > > Hey Brian, > > I haven't been following this closely, so forgive me if I've missed something. > > On Feb 20, 2012, at 17:38, Brian Christmas wrote: > > Previously I had only executed a re-start, which had no effect on the icons. > > You quit and restarted GraphicConverter, or you restarted the Mac? > > > Executing a complete shutdown, then re-booting seems to change the icons. > > > > Definitely looks like a Finder problem. > > > You tried relaunching the Finder? (Option-Control-Click on the Dock icon.) > > -- > Best Regards, > Chris >
Christopher Stone

Post by Christopher Stone »

Hey Brian, Sounds like a caching issue. On Feb 20, 2012, at 17:49, Brian Christmas wrote: > 2. force quitting the Finder (no effect) You've only force-quit the Finder? What happens if you use the relaunch and let it do its housekeeping? > 3. using the re-start the iMac option (no effect) > > 4. shutting dow, and starting the iMac again (icons update) This is what makes me suspect caching. Have you run any of the housekeeping utilities to delete your caches? -- Best Regards, Chris