Ancient "Apple Fax" documents support?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
abacus971

Ancient "Apple Fax" documents support?

Post by abacus971 »

I have some vintage "Apple FAX" documents, generated in the mid-1990s time frame on a PowerPC under System 9. Yes, Apple Fax is actually the name of the program - it was a bundled Apple Fax app that created these. GC does not seem to recognize these files directly, and adding a .tif extension doesn't help either. I am now trying a RAW import, but haven't found the magic combination yet. If anyone has a hint on what format Apple Fax used for bit depth and order (I am guessing Motorola instead of Intel), or can analyze a file for me, that would be great! I can email sample files upon request if anyone is willing. In the meantime, I will keep plugging away on RAW import. Thanks! By the way, GC happily recognized and converted ancient FaxSTF documents from this same time period without a hitch! Larry
thorstenlemke

Re: Ancient "Apple Fax" documents support?

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello, Many thanks for your e-mail. The AppleFax format was never documented. That is the problem. Thorsten > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 14:59:01 -0000 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: [gcmac] Ancient "Apple Fax" documents support? > > I have some vintage "Apple FAX" documents, generated in the mid-1990s time > frame on a PowerPC under System 9. Yes, Apple Fax is actually the name of the > program - it was a bundled Apple Fax app that created these. > > GC does not seem to recognize these files directly, and adding a .tif > extension doesn't help either. > > I am now trying a RAW import, but haven't found the magic combination yet. If > anyone has a hint on what format Apple Fax used for bit depth and order (I am > guessing Motorola instead of Intel), or can analyze a file for me, that would > be great! > > I can email sample files upon request if anyone is willing. In the meantime, I > will keep plugging away on RAW import. > > Thanks! > > By the way, GC happily recognized and converted ancient FaxSTF documents from > this same time period without a hitch! > > Larry >
abacus971

Post by abacus971 »

Thank you, Thorsten, for the reply. I will keep trying to do RAW import, and will report back to this group if I have any luck. In the meantime, if anyone in this group has the ancient AppleFax software, I can recover these files that way (I still have a Mac that can run Classic OS9 apps). I have the Apple Fax app, but when I try to run it, it reports that I am missing the "FaxExtension". If anyone has this software (I think it came with the old Apple Geoport Telecom adapter), I would appreciate it. Thanks again, Larry --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > Many thanks for your e-mail. > > The AppleFax format was never documented. > > That is the problem. > > Thorsten > > > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > Datum: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 14:59:01 -0000 > > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > Betreff: [gcmac] Ancient "Apple Fax" documents support? > > > > I have some vintage "Apple FAX" documents, generated in the mid-1990s time > > frame on a PowerPC under System 9. Yes, Apple Fax is actually the name of the > > program - it was a bundled Apple Fax app that created these. > > > > GC does not seem to recognize these files directly, and adding a .tif > > extension doesn't help either. > > > > I am now trying a RAW import, but haven't found the magic combination yet. If > > anyone has a hint on what format Apple Fax used for bit depth and order (I am > > guessing Motorola instead of Intel), or can analyze a file for me, that would > > be great! > > > > I can email sample files upon request if anyone is willing. In the meantime, I > > will keep plugging away on RAW import. > > > > Thanks! > > > > By the way, GC happily recognized and converted ancient FaxSTF documents from > > this same time period without a hitch! > > > > Larry > > >
Tom Coradeschi

Post by Tom Coradeschi »

"abacus971" larryknight71@yahoo.com wrote: > >Thank you, Thorsten, for the reply. > >I will keep trying to do RAW import, and will report back to this >group if I have any luck. > >In the meantime, if anyone in this group has the ancient AppleFax >software, I can recover these files that way (I still have a Mac >that can run Classic OS9 apps). I have the Apple Fax app, but when I >try to run it, it reports that I am missing the "FaxExtension". > >If anyone has this software (I think it came with the old Apple >Geoport Telecom adapter), I would appreciate it. >Thanks again, >Larry Larry: I looked a bunch for this. Tried my OS 8.6 install CDs and also downloaded the OS 7.5 as well as the Geoport 3.0 and 3.1 installers from apple and can't find that extension anywhere... http://www.info.apple.com/support/older ... elist.html is where I was looking. Good luck! -- tom coradeschi tcora@skylands.ibmwr.org
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

May I suggest this offering that includes the software ?? http://www.welovemacs.com/m5438lla.htm "Item #: M5438LL/A Apple 33.6 Modem (GeoPort) Telecom Adapter Kit Regular Price $69.99 SALE $19.49 $50.50 (72%)" "Comes with: GeoPort Telecom Adapter II, Apple Telecom 3.0 software, and other software included in the GeoPort" "Works with the PowerMac 7200 - 9500. Any Power Macintosh except 5200, 5300, and 5400 series; or other PowerPC processor–based computer, including the Macintosh Performa 6100, 6360, and 6400 Macintosh system software version works up to OS 8.5.1 and no higher. Brand New in Box" HOWEVER........ I FIND THIS.... http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/860 ... elcome.PDF " Since the Apple Telecom software is already installed on your computer, you do not need to follow the instructions in the Apple Telecom User’s Guide (in Chapter 2) that tell you how to install the software from disks. Those disks are not included with this kit because the software has already been installed on your computer." AND...... http://support.apple.com/kb/TA38755?viewlocale=en_US "Apple Telecom is the software needed to use an Apple Express Modem, GeoPort Telecom Adapter Pod, or the GeoPort Internal Comm Slot modem. Apple Telecom 3.1.3 has not been modified since the release of Mac OS 7.5, and at this time, there are no plans for future revisions to the Apple Telecom software." SO....... I think you need to unpack the Apple Express Modem or Apple Telecom software to find that extension. Mike Bauers On Mar 2, 2012, at 2:30 PM, Tom Coradeschi wrote: > "abacus971" larryknight71@yahoo.com wrote: >> >> Thank you, Thorsten, for the reply. >> >> I will keep trying to do RAW import, and will report back to this >> group if I have any luck. >> >> In the meantime, if anyone in this group has the ancient AppleFax >> software, I can recover these files that way (I still have a Mac >> that can run Classic OS9 apps). I have the Apple Fax app, but when I >> try to run it, it reports that I am missing the "FaxExtension". >> >> If anyone has this software (I think it came with the old Apple >> Geoport Telecom adapter), I would appreciate it. >> Thanks again, >> Larry > > Larry: I looked a bunch for this. Tried my OS 8.6 install CDs and > also downloaded the OS 7.5 as well as the Geoport 3.0 and 3.1 > installers from apple and can't find that extension anywhere... > > http://www.info.apple.com/support/older ... elist.html is where I > was looking. > > Good luck! > -- > > tom coradeschi > tcora@skylands.ibmwr.org
Larry Knight

Post by Larry Knight »

Actually, Tom, you solved my problem.You said that you had looked in:http://www.info.apple.com/support/older ... elist.html without success, but it was there that I found the software that I needed. You need to download the 8 disk images of Telecom 3.13:Macintosh/Networking-Communications/Apple_Telecom/Telecom_3.1.3_1of8.smi.bin Macintosh/Networking-Communications/Apple_Telecom/Telecom_3.1.3_2of8.smi.bin... Macintosh/Networking-Communications/Apple_Telecom/Telecom_3.1.3_8of8.smi.binThen, since Apple refuses to install these on a non-Geoport machine (like my G3 Indigo iMac), you have to download TomeViewer, and extract the individual files, and place them properly in the correct OS9 System folder locations. I found the long-lost Fax Extension on Tome 3 on Disk 3 of 8. Many thanks for all who looked for this software. I am now "printing to PDF" all these old files. And, thanks, Thorsten, for tolerating this somewhat off-topic thread on your forum. If by some chance you want some example files and converted PDFs, let me know. If anyone here by any chance has any old Apple Fax files they need to convert, I will be happy to oblige.Larry On Mar 2, 2012, at 3:30 PM, Tom Coradeschi wrote:   "abacus971" larryknight71@yahoo.com wrote: > >Thank you, Thorsten, for the reply. > >I will keep trying to do RAW import, and will report back to this >group if I have any luck. > >In the meantime, if anyone in this group has the ancient AppleFax >software, I can recover these files that way (I still have a Mac >that can run Classic OS9 apps). I have the Apple Fax app, but when I >try to run it, it reports that I am missing the "FaxExtension". > >If anyone has this software (I think it came with the old Apple >Geoport Telecom adapter), I would appreciate it. >Thanks again, >Larry Larry: I looked a bunch for this. Tried my OS 8.6 install CDs and also downloaded the OS 7.5 as well as the Geoport 3.0 and 3.1 installers from apple and can't find that extension anywhere... http://www.info.apple.com/support/older ... elist.html is where I was looking. Good luck! -- tom coradeschi tcora@skylands.ibmwr.org =