[ANN] GraphicConverter 8 (Build 800)

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
thorstenlemke

Re: GraphicConverter 8 Icon/Preview bug

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi, fixed in the non sandboxing version. http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html Thorsten > Von: Patrick Aquilla <maulrat@sbcglobal.net> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:37:50 -0500 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: Re: [gcmac] GraphicConverter 8 Icon/Preview bug > > On a side note I noticed that when you save a picture as a JPEG that it now > adds the extension .jpeg instead of .jpg > >
Jim Mueller

Re: [ANN] GraphicConverter 8 (Build 800)

Post by Jim Mueller »

This 64 bit version's Browser seems to display thumbnails much more quickly than 7.6.2.  It also seems to manually generate previews more quickly, though there is a substantial delay before it gets started generating them if I have more than a few selected in the browser.I'll try to give more quantitative results as I test v8 with our normal workflow. On Mar 22, 2012, at 4:42 AM, lemkesoft wrote:   Hello, I released the first BETA of GraphicConverter 8. http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html Please download and test the new version. It has a complete rewritten backend for 64 bit support. So, there may occur some bugs. Please report them directly to lemke@lemkesoft.de or to this group. I will release the final version in 4-6 weeks. So, I am happy about each report or comment. The version 8 should have the same features as the version 7.6.2. In addition it supports 32/64 bit. So, you can open really large images of some GB. A note: the 64 bit version do not support some old formats like PhotoCD. Because the SDKs for this old format is only 32 bit. But you can launch the 64 bit version in 32 bit, too. It is a fat binary. You can change the launch mode in the Finder. Select the app in the Finder. Select file info and click on "Launch in 32 bit". Regards Thorsten Lemke 
Kenneth Winterberger

odd 'TIFF file

Post by Kenneth Winterberger »

I have several 'TIFFs' - high resolution scans of aerial photos. Each of the images is roughly 630MB. I have yet to find a Mac app that will open the files. I have been able to successfully open them using ERViewer and ENVI (recognized as TIFFs). GraphicConverter tells me that he files are broken, the format is unknown, or they aren't graphic files. QGIS says "...TIFFReadDirectory:Failed to read directory at offset 638819932) which is not particularly helpful. Any thoughts? An example file can be found here: http://www.akwebguy.com/Images/TNC093_FRAME928.TIF Remember, it's a big file Ken Winterberger
thorstenlemke

Re: odd 'TIFF file

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi Ken, That tif does not contain any valid TIFF directory. So, it can't be decoded. Thorsten > Von: Kenneth Winterberger <kwinter@alaska.net> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 21:53:53 -0800 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: [gcmac] odd 'TIFF file > > I have several 'TIFFs' - high resolution scans of aerial photos. Each of the > images is roughly 630MB. I have yet to find a Mac app that will open the > files. I have been able to successfully open them using ERViewer and ENVI > (recognized as TIFFs). GraphicConverter tells me that he files are broken, the > format is unknown, or they aren't graphic files. QGIS says > "...TIFFReadDirectory:Failed to read directory at offset 638819932) which is > not particularly helpful. Any thoughts? An example file can be found here: > > http://www.akwebguy.com/Images/TNC093_FRAME928.TIF > > Remember, it's a big file > > Ken Winterberger
Kenneth Winterberger

I was guessing that this might be the problem.  Is there a reasonable explanation for ERViewer and ENVI being able to open the files?Thanks.Ken W. On Apr 23, 2012, at 12:31 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hi Ken, That tif does not contain any valid TIFF directory. So, it can't be decoded. Thorsten > Von: Kenneth Winterberger <kwinter@alaska.net> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 21:53:53 -0800 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: [gcmac] odd 'TIFF file > > I have several 'TIFFs' - high resolution scans of aerial photos. Each of the > images is roughly 630MB. I have yet to find a Mac app that will open the > files. I have been able to successfully open them using ERViewer and ENVI > (recognized as TIFFs). GraphicConverter tells me that he files are broken, the > format is unknown, or they aren't graphic files. QGIS says > "...TIFFReadDirectory:Failed to read directory at offset 638819932) which is > not particularly helpful. Any thoughts? An example file can be found here: > > http://www.akwebguy.com/Images/TNC093_FRAME928.TIF > > Remember, it's a big file > > Ken Winterberger
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello, Hmm, no idea. Maybe they show the raw data stream. Thorsten > Von: Kenneth Winterberger <kwinter@alaska.net> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 07:27:00 -0800 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: Re: [gcmac] odd 'TIFF file > > I was guessing that this might be the problem. Is there a reasonable > explanation for ERViewer and ENVI being able to open the files? > > Thanks. > > Ken W. > > On Apr 23, 2012, at 12:31 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote: >
Kenneth Winterberger

I tried to open one of the images in Apple's Preview.Preview did not show the image but appeared to recognize the image as having 3 parts (they were 'blank'.) I then 'dropped' one the images into ArcMap.  ArcMap gave me a screen (attached) suggesting that there 3 parts.  Oddly no matter which of these I selected, it opened the image and seemed to recognize it as a TIFF.  If I 'open' all three parts it labels them as tif:0, tif:1 and tif:2 ENVI recognizes them as TIFF in BIP format. On Apr 23, 2012, at 10:39 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hello, Hmm, no idea. Maybe they show the raw data stream. Thorsten > Von: Kenneth Winterberger <kwinter@alaska.net> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 07:27:00 -0800 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: Re: [gcmac] odd 'TIFF file > > I was guessing that this might be the problem. Is there a reasonable > explanation for ERViewer and ENVI being able to open the files? > > Thanks. > > Ken W. > > On Apr 23, 2012, at 12:31 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote: >
Kenneth Winterberger

Thorsten,I just found that I can open these TIFF files in Preview.  Actually, Preview has no problem with these files but I was reading them from a DVD and I got impatient, thinking that Preview couldn't open them because it was taking so long.  When I moved several of the files to my hard drive they open very quickly.  Curiously, the files seem to contain some sort of pyramiding scheme.  When an individual TIFF is opened in Preview, it 'sees' 3 different versions of the file; one is full resolution, one is medium resolution, and one is essentially a thumbnail view.Ken W. On Apr 23, 2012, at 12:31 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hi Ken, That tif does not contain any valid TIFF directory. So, it can't be decoded. Thorsten > Von: Kenneth Winterberger <kwinter@alaska.net> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 21:53:53 -0800 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: [gcmac] odd 'TIFF file > > I have several 'TIFFs' - high resolution scans of aerial photos. Each of the > images is roughly 630MB. I have yet to find a Mac app that will open the > files. I have been able to successfully open them using ERViewer and ENVI > (recognized as TIFFs). GraphicConverter tells me that he files are broken, the > format is unknown, or they aren't graphic files. QGIS says > "...TIFFReadDirectory:Failed to read directory at offset 638819932) which is > not particularly helpful. Any thoughts? An example file can be found here: > > http://www.akwebguy.com/Images/TNC093_FRAME928.TIF > > Remember, it's a big file > > Ken Winterberger
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi Ken,I retried your file here with preview.It can not open it.ThorstenOn 21.05.2012, at 07:00, Kenneth Winterberger wrote: Thorsten,I just found that I can open these TIFF files in Preview.  Actually, Preview has no problem with these files but I was reading them from a DVD and I got impatient, thinking that Preview couldn't open them because it was taking so long.  When I moved several of the files to my hard drive they open very quickly.  Curiously, the files seem to contain some sort of pyramiding scheme.  When an individual TIFF is opened in Preview, it 'sees' 3 different versions of the file; one is full resolution, one is medium resolution, and one is essentially a thumbnail view.Ken W.
Ken Winterberger & Paula Smith

Post by Ken Winterberger & Paula Smith »

Thorsten, I've placed a screenshot of the Apple Preview 'view' one of the 'odd TIFFs' here: http://www.akwebguy.com/Images/TNC063_preview_eg.png As you can see in the screenshot, Preview 'sees' 3 images. I can open this TIFF in GraphicConverter 8.1 (872); I've pasted the exif below. It looks as though the TIFF that I was having difficulty with (TNC093_FRAME928.tif) is indeed broken. Can you explain Preview 'seeing' 3 images when the TIFFs are opened? Sorry about the confusion and thanks for the help. Ken Winterberger ---- ExifTool ---- ExifTool Version Number: 8.90 ---- System ---- File Name: TNC063_FRAME919.tif Directory: /Users/wintersmith/Desktop/AIRIS/am File Size: 610 MB File Modification Date/Time: 2009:05:21 06:10:56-08:00 File Permissions: rwxr-xr-x ---- File ---- File Type: TIFF MIME Type: image/tiff Exif Byte Order: Little-endian (Intel, II) ---- IFD0 ---- Subfile Type: Full-resolution Image Image Width: 14585 Image Height: 14562 Bits Per Sample: 8 8 8 Compression: Uncompressed Photometric Interpretation: RGB Document Name: TNC063_frame919.tif Image Description: TNC063_frame919.tif Strip Offsets: (Binary data 143074 bytes, use -b option to extract) Orientation: Horizontal (normal) Samples Per Pixel: 3 Rows Per Strip: 1 Strip Byte Counts: (Binary data 87371 bytes, use -b option to extract) X Resolution: 629.9212646 Y Resolution: 629.9212646 Planar Configuration: Chunky Resolution Unit: cm Software: FFEI Fsys file-format library Modify Date: 2009:05:21 13:58:04 Dot Range: 0 255 ---- ICC-header ---- Profile CMM Type: appl Profile Version: 2.0.0 Profile Class: Input Device Profile Color Space Data: RGB Profile Connection Space: Lab Profile Date Time: 2002:05:21 13:46:46 Profile File Signature: acsp Primary Platform: Apple Computer Inc. CMM Flags: Embedded, Independent Device Manufacturer: FFEI Device Model: R770 Device Attributes: Transparency, Glossy, Positive, Color Rendering Intent: Perceptual Connection Space Illuminant: 0.9642 1 0.82491 Profile Creator: FFEI Profile ID: 0 ---- ICC_Profile ---- Calibration Date Time: 2002:05:21 13:46:46 Profile Description: FineScan-T2-Ektachrome.icc-E Profile Copyright: Copyright FUJIFILM Electronic Imaging Ltd. Device Mfg Desc: FUJIFILM Electronic Imaging Ltd. Device Model Desc: FineScan Technology: Film Scanner Media White Point: 0.74599 0.7641 0.6344 Media Black Point: 0.00069 0.00079 0.0006 Red Matrix Column: 0.5719 0.24603 -0.04198 Green Matrix Column: 0.28421 0.73914 0.04718 Blue Matrix Column: 0.13399 0.03943 0.91267 Red Tone Reproduction Curve: (Binary data 524 bytes, use -b option to extract) Green Tone Reproduction Curve: (Binary data 524 bytes, use -b option to extract) Blue Tone Reproduction Curve: (Binary data 524 bytes, use -b option to extract) Char Target: (Binary data 14159 bytes, use -b option to extract) A To B0: (Binary data 199732 bytes, use -b option to extract) ---- IFD1 ---- Subfile Type: Full-resolution Image Image Width: 712 Image Height: 711 Bits Per Sample: 8 8 8 Compression: Uncompressed Photometric Interpretation: RGB Document Name: TNC063_frame919.tif Image Description: TNC063_frame919.tif Strip Offsets: (Binary data 7109 bytes, use -b option to extract) Orientation: Horizontal (normal) Samples Per Pixel: 3 Rows Per Strip: 1 Strip Byte Counts: (Binary data 3554 bytes, use -b option to extract) X Resolution: 30.79423141 Y Resolution: 30.79961014 Planar Configuration: Chunky Resolution Unit: cm Software: FFEI Fsys file-format library Modify Date: 2009:05:21 14:10:54 Dot Range: 0 255 ---- IFD2 ---- Subfile Type: Full-resolution Image Image Width: 78 Image Height: 77 Bits Per Sample: 8 8 8 Compression: Uncompressed Photometric Interpretation: RGB Document Name: TNC063_frame919.tif Image Description: TNC063_frame919.tif Strip Offsets: (Binary data 769 bytes, use -b option to extract) Orientation: Horizontal (normal) Samples Per Pixel: 3 Rows Per Strip: 1 Strip Byte Counts: (Binary data 307 bytes, use -b option to extract) X Resolution: 3.373525381 Y Resolution: 3.378860474 Planar Configuration: Chunky Resolution Unit: cm Software: FFEI Fsys file-format library Modify Date: 2009:05:21 14:10:56 Dot Range: 0 255 ---- Composite ---- Image Size: 14585x14562 On Sun, May 20, 2012 23:15, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > Hi Ken, > > I retried your file here with preview. > > It can not open it. > > Thorsten > > On 21.05.2012, at 07:00, Kenneth Winterberger wrote: > >> Thorsten, >> >> >> I just found that I can open these TIFF files in Preview. Actually, Preview has >> no problem with these files but I was reading them from a DVD and I got >> impatient, thinking that Preview couldn't open them because it was taking so >> long. When I moved several of the files to my hard drive they open very quickly. >> Curiously, the files seem to contain some sort of pyramiding scheme. When an >> individual TIFF is opened in Preview, it 'sees' 3 different versions of the file; >> one is full resolution, one is medium resolution, and one is essentially a >> thumbnail view. >> >> Ken W. >> >> > > -- Smith & Winterberger 907 345 5800