Need help shifting creation date

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Kevin L

Need help shifting creation date

Post by Kevin L »

I've done this before, but it's been a while, and I can't figure out why it's not working. Any ideas? I have a Nikon RAW file that I need to move back by a minute (failed to sync camera with others in a multicam shoot). So I pull up a GC browser using the latest version, and go to action -> metatdata -> shift the EXIF timestamp. Nothing changes in GC under the EXIF tab. In Lightroom 4 (my normal editing program), I reimport EXIF from the file -- and see no change there either. I have .xmp sidecars, so I delete it and try again in GC and still see no change in GC and in LR4. Back in GC, I make the shift change again, and then additionally choose action -> Metadata -> Set creation date based on EXIF. No change visible in GC and in LR4. When I say no change in GC, I see no change in: Image tab, Date and Time EXIF tab, File dat and time, Date and Time of original data gen, and digital data gen, and under EXIFTool, File Modification Date/Time, and Modify Date. They all continue to show the same original time the image was actually shot. Am I supposed to be saving this stuff out somehow to commit the changes? I'm sure stumped. Running Lion 10.7.3, GC X 7.6.2 (447). Thanks for any advice.
thorstenlemke

Re: Need help shifting creation date

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,please enable the verbose console in the prefs part general/misc.Make the action.What is written in the console?Thorsten On 07.05.2012, at 03:37, Kevin L wrote:   I've done this before, but it's been a while, and I can't figure out why it's not working. Any ideas? I have a Nikon RAW file that I need to move back by a minute (failed to sync camera with others in a multicam shoot). So I pull up a GC browser using the latest version, and go to action -> metatdata -> shift the EXIF timestamp. Nothing changes in GC under the EXIF tab. In Lightroom 4 (my normal editing program), I reimport EXIF from the file -- and see no change there either. I have .xmp sidecars, so I delete it and try again in GC and still see no change in GC and in LR4. Back in GC, I make the shift change again, and then additionally choose action -> Metadata -> Set creation date based on EXIF. No change visible in GC and in LR4. When I say no change in GC, I see no change in: Image tab, Date and Time EXIF tab, File dat and time, Date and Time of original data gen, and digital data gen, and under EXIFTool, File Modification Date/Time, and Modify Date. They all continue to show the same original time the image was actually shot. Am I supposed to be saving this stuff out somehow to commit the changes? I'm sure stumped. Running Lion 10.7.3, GC X 7.6.2 (447). Thanks for any advice.
Kevin L

Post by Kevin L »

Thorsten got ahold of me offline and took a look -- the code does only for now support shifting dates in JPG and similar files, not in Nikon RAW files. There is a way to shift, though, because LR4 does it, but to do something other than shift by an hour or day (such as shifting by a few seconds or minutes), you have to edit the images one-at-a-time, which is infeasible. Hopefully this is something GC can add at a future date. Wanted to followup with everyone. KL --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > please enable the verbose console in the prefs part general/misc. > > Make the action. > > What is written in the console? > > Thorsten > > > On 07.05.2012, at 03:37, Kevin L wrote: > > > I've done this before, but it's been a while, and I can't figure out why it's not working. Any ideas? > > > > I have a Nikon RAW file that I need to move back by a minute (failed to sync camera with others in a multicam shoot). So I pull up a GC browser using the latest version, and go to action -> metatdata -> shift the EXIF timestamp. > > > > Nothing changes in GC under the EXIF tab. > > In Lightroom 4 (my normal editing program), I reimport EXIF from the file -- and see no change there either. > > > > I have .xmp sidecars, so I delete it and try again in GC and still see no change in GC and in LR4. > > > > Back in GC, I make the shift change again, and then additionally choose action -> Metadata -> Set creation date based on EXIF. > > > > No change visible in GC and in LR4. > > > > When I say no change in GC, I see no change in: > > Image tab, Date and Time > > EXIF tab, File dat and time, Date and Time of original data gen, and digital data gen, and under EXIFTool, File Modification Date/Time, and Modify Date. > > > > They all continue to show the same original time the image was actually shot. > > > > Am I supposed to be saving this stuff out somehow to commit the changes? I'm sure stumped. > > > > Running Lion 10.7.3, GC X 7.6.2 (447). > > > > Thanks for any advice. > > > > >
Christopher Stone

Post by Christopher Stone »

On May 09, 2012, at 07:44, Kevin L wrote: Thorsten got ahold of me offline and took a look -- the code does only for now support shifting dates in JPG and similar files, not in Nikon RAW files.  There is a way to shift, though, because LR4 does it, but to do something other than shift by an hour or day (such as shifting by a few seconds or minutes), you have to edit the images one-at-a-time, which is infeasible. ______________________________________________________________________Hey Kevin,This looks like it might be doable via ExifTool.exiftool -DateTimeOriginal-='0:0:0 1:30:0' dir     Adjust original date/time of all images in directory "dir" by     subtracting one hour and 30 minutes. (This is equivalent to     "-DateTimeOriginal-=1.5". See Image::ExifTool::Shift.pl for     details.)--Best Regards,Chris
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,I released a new beta.Please check:http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.htmlI implemented now the shift for the other file types, too.RegardsThorsten Lemke  (important note: please always include this complete email in your reply) On 10.05.2012, at 10:27, Christopher Stone wrote:   On May 09, 2012, at 07:44, Kevin L wrote:Thorsten got ahold of me offline and took a look -- the code does only for now support shifting dates in JPG and similar files, not in Nikon RAW files.  There is a way to shift, though, because LR4 does it, but to do something other than shift by an hour or day (such as shifting by a few seconds or minutes), you have to edit the images one-at-a-time, which is infeasible. ______________________________________________________________________
Patrick Aquilla

sandboxed vs unsandboxed

Post by Patrick Aquilla »

dumb question, but whats the difference? or what does it mean? thanks
Robert Vaessen

Re: sandboxed vs unsandboxed

Post by Robert Vaessen »

Patrick - A sandboxed application conforms to one of Apple's more recent developer requirements (for sale of items in the 'App Store' and 'iTunes Store'). It's not a 'mandatory' requirement yet, but Apple is requiring sandboxing on certain applications (i.e. those for sale in the 'App Store' and 'iTunes Store'), and sandboxing will also be a requirement for applications to run under certain conditions under Mac OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion), due to be released later this year. An application that is 'Sandboxed' has a tightly controlled set of resources that it can control or access. The application lists all resources (files, libraries, hardware resources and various subroutines) on your computer that it has access to. If that application then attempts to access a resource(s) that it shouldn't have access to (for whatever reason), that unauthorized access attempt can be detected and the application disabled or isolated to prevent access to those resources. It's primarily a security feature but also helps eliminate system resource conflicts. Effectively an application that is 'Sandboxed' is put into a sandbox, where it has access to certain resources (shovel, bucket, toy cars and the big dump-truck). It can't get to the resources outside the sandbox, and that helps keep your back yard nice and tidy. :-) FYI: I'm not an actual developer for Apple. I'm just trying to stay abreast of developer issues. If anyone else feels that I've erred in my description, or would like to provide a better description of Sandboxing, please feel free to reply to the list. In addition to this brief attempt at a description, Apple has several related articles on the issue. You could start here: <http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/ ... ndbox.html> I hope this helps. - Robert On May 11, 2012, at 06:36, Patrick Aquilla wrote: > dumb question, but whats the difference? or what does it mean? > > thanks >
Patrick Aquilla

Post by Patrick Aquilla »

thanks for the detailed reply ... much appreciated!! On May 12, 2012, at 7:42 AM, Robert Vaessen wrote:   Patrick - A sandboxed application conforms to one of Apple's more recent developer requirements (for sale of items in the 'App Store' and 'iTunes Store'). It's not a 'mandatory' requirement yet, but Apple is requiring sandboxing on certain applications (i.e. those for sale in the 'App Store' and 'iTunes Store'), and sandboxing will also be a requirement for applications to run under certain conditions under Mac OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion), due to be released later this year. An application that is 'Sandboxed' has a tightly controlled set of resources that it can control or access. The application lists all resources (files, libraries, hardware resources and various subroutines) on your computer that it has access to. If that application then attempts to access a resource(s) that it shouldn't have access to (for whatever reason), that unauthorized access attempt can be detected and the application disabled or isolated to prevent access to those resources. It's primarily a security feature but also helps eliminate system resource conflicts. Effectively an application that is 'Sandboxed' is put into a sandbox, where it has access to certain resources (shovel, bucket, toy cars and the big dump-truck). It can't get to the resources outside the sandbox, and that helps keep your back yard nice and tidy. :-) FYI: I'm not an actual developer for Apple. I'm just trying to stay abreast of developer issues. If anyone else feels that I've erred in my description, or would like to provide a better description of Sandboxing, please feel free to reply to the list. In addition to this brief attempt at a description, Apple has several related articles on the issue. You could start here: <http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/ ... ndbox.html> I hope this helps. - Robert On May 11, 2012, at 06:36, Patrick Aquilla wrote: > dumb question, but whats the difference? or what does it mean? > > thanks >
Frank H

Post by Frank H »

Thanks indeed!  I had wondered about this in various app. s also!Frank H. On May 13, 2012, at 1:50 PM, Patrick Aquilla wrote:   thanks for the detailed reply ... much appreciated!!On May 12, 2012, at 7:42 AM, Robert Vaessen wrote:   Patrick - A sandboxed application conforms to one of Apple's more recent developer requirements (for sale of items in the 'App Store' and 'iTunes Store'). It's not a 'mandatory' requirement yet, but Apple is requiring sandboxing on certain applications (i.e. those for sale in the 'App Store' and 'iTunes Store'), and sandboxing will also be a requirement for applications to run under certain conditions under Mac OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion), due to be released later this year. An application that is 'Sandboxed' has a tightly controlled set of resources that it can control or access. The application lists all resources (files, libraries, hardware resources and various subroutines) on your computer that it has access to. If that application then attempts to access a resource(s) that it shouldn't have access to (for whatever reason), that unauthorized access attempt can be detected and the application disabled or isolated to prevent access to those resources. It's primarily a security feature but also helps eliminate system resource conflicts. Effectively an application that is 'Sandboxed' is put into a sandbox, where it has access to certain resources (shovel, bucket, toy cars and the big dump-truck). It can't get to the resources outside the sandbox, and that helps keep your back yard nice and tidy. :-) FYI: I'm not an actual developer for Apple. I'm just trying to stay abreast of developer issues. If anyone else feels that I've erred in my description, or would like to provide a better description of Sandboxing, please feel free to reply to the list. In addition to this brief attempt at a description, Apple has several related articles on the issue. You could start here: <http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/ ... ndbox.html> I hope this helps. - Robert On May 11, 2012, at 06:36, Patrick Aquilla wrote: > dumb question, but whats the difference? or what does it mean? > > thanks >