can't save jpegs higher than 72ppi

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Craig Johnson

can't save jpegs higher than 72ppi

Post by Craig Johnson »

Hi GC 6.5.1 When I save a jpeg on my Intel MacBook (running Leopard) it always saves as 72ppi, no matter what the original resolution was. Other formats are OK, I've noticed this problem with jpegs only. I've gone thru the prefs w/ a fine tooth comb, can't find anything to fix this. There is no problem doing the exact same thing on my PowerPC Powerbook (running Tiger 10.4.11), the resolution stays where I want it. How can I save jpegs higher than 72ppi on my newer puter? Hoping nobody tells me I have to upgrade to GC 7. Thanks!
thorstenlemke

Re: can't save jpegs higher than 72ppi

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hi,did you maybe uncheck the saving with meadata.Thorsten On 12.05.2012, at 07:57, Craig Johnson wrote:   Hi GC 6.5.1 When I save a jpeg on my Intel MacBook (running Leopard) it always saves as 72ppi, no matter what the original resolution was. Other formats are OK, I've noticed this problem with jpegs only. I've gone thru the prefs w/ a fine tooth comb, can't find anything to fix this. There is no problem doing the exact same thing on my PowerPC Powerbook (running Tiger 10.4.11), the resolution stays where I want it. How can I save jpegs higher than 72ppi on my newer puter? Hoping nobody tells me I have to upgrade to GC 7. Thanks! __._
Richard Ball

Post by Richard Ball »

While the number (ppi) should stay at what you put it to, it in itself is irrelevant. As long as the pixel dimensions don't change setting the ppi number changes nothing about the image. Rich On May 12, 2012, at 1:57 AM, Craig Johnson wrote: > Hi > > GC 6.5.1 > > When I save a jpeg on my Intel MacBook (running Leopard) it always > saves as 72ppi, no matter what the original resolution was. Other > formats are OK, I've noticed this problem with jpegs only. I've gone > thru the prefs w/ a fine tooth comb, can't find anything to fix this. > > There is no problem doing the exact same thing on my PowerPC > Powerbook (running Tiger 10.4.11), the resolution stays where I want it. > > How can I save jpegs higher than 72ppi on my newer puter? Hoping > nobody tells me I have to upgrade to GC 7. > > Thanks! > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
Alfred J Treder

Post by Alfred J Treder »

Craig,The resolution itself is only a default. What counts when you save a graphic file is the number of pixels. When a high resolution file is saved at 72 dpi, its width and length will be much higher values so that the same number of pixels are saved. You should be able to prove this to yourself by checking the length and width at the resolution you like (lengthXwidthXresolution = number of pixels), and comparing it to the numbers you get when you save with that default setting. If the pixels are the same, the file itself has not lost resolution. It's just being described as a much larger area at a lower resolution. The default resolution of 72dpi just tells you how much monitor screen space (length and width) the file will take up when displayed at 100% size. Hope that explanation helps. Al  On May 11, 2012, at 10:57 PM, Craig Johnson wrote:   Hi GC 6.5.1 When I save a jpeg on my Intel MacBook (running Leopard) it always saves as 72ppi, no matter what the original resolution was. Other formats are OK, I've noticed this problem with jpegs only. I've gone thru the prefs w/ a fine tooth comb, can't find anything to fix this. There is no problem doing the exact same thing on my PowerPC Powerbook (running Tiger 10.4.11), the resolution stays where I want it. How can I save jpegs higher than 72ppi on my newer puter? Hoping nobody tells me I have to upgrade to GC 7. Thanks!
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello Craig,please go to the JPEG save as option and enable all metadata. The resolution is just a value. It is stored in the JFIF header and in the EXIF data.Thorsten On 12.05.2012, at 17:06, Alfred J Treder wrote:   Craig,The resolution itself is only a default. What counts when you save a graphic file is the number of pixels. When a high resolution file is saved at 72 dpi, its width and length will be much higher values so that the same number of pixels are saved. You should be able to prove this to yourself by checking the length and width at the resolution you like (lengthXwidthXresolution = number of pixels), and comparing it to the numbers you get when you save with that default setting. If the pixels are the same, the file itself has not lost resolution. It's just being described as a much larger area at a lower resolution. The default resolution of 72dpi just tells you how much monitor screen space (length and width) the file will take up when displayed at 100% size. Hope that explanation helps. Al 
bfranklinrules

Post by bfranklinrules »

Hello, I "think" that ppi is important when, for example, printing an image. I'm not completely sure but it used to be that printers needed to have the physical dimensions established (at for example 4"x6")_ AND_ have a preset ppi of a certain minimum value (example: 150 ppi minimum). When I do Photoshop work and use the RAW plugin to open 72 ppi JPEGs: the image is then saved at 240 ppi - with physical dimensions converted to "relative size" (ie, 30% of the size when the image had 72 ppi). On the other hand, if one takes a 4"x6" image which has 240 ppi and converts "down" to 72 ppi: image quality is insufficient to make good prints. All of the above assumes one is using the "100" compression /quality setting. In other words, with no compression. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Craig Johnson <cajkeg@...> wrote: > > Hi > > GC 6.5.1 > > When I save a jpeg on my Intel MacBook (running Leopard) it always > saves as 72ppi, no matter what the original resolution was. Other > formats are OK, I've noticed this problem with jpegs only. I've gone > thru the prefs w/ a fine tooth comb, can't find anything to fix this. > > There is no problem doing the exact same thing on my PowerPC > Powerbook (running Tiger 10.4.11), the resolution stays where I want it. > > How can I save jpegs higher than 72ppi on my newer puter? Hoping > nobody tells me I have to upgrade to GC 7. > > Thanks! >
Richard Ball

Post by Richard Ball »

The ppi setting is only relevant if you use it to calculate how many pixels you want to have in an image for a print AND then resample the image to that size. If you send an 2000 x 3000 pixel image to a printer and tell the driver to print a 2in x 3in image AND set the resolution to 72ppi you will still send all the original pixels (6,000,000) and the print will have (approx) 1000 ppi. If you say, instead it is to a 20in x 30in print the printer wil spread the 2000 pixels of 20in rather than 2 so you'll have an effective ppi of 100. If you have a printer that prints its best images at 200ppi then you'd *resample* the image to have that number of pixels for the size of the print you are making. If it was a 5 x 7 you resample the the original image to be from 2000 x 3000 to 1000 pixels by 1400 pixels. Rich On May 13, 2012, at 11:58 AM, bfranklinrules wrote: > Hello, > I "think" that ppi is important when, for example, printing an image. I'm not completely sure but it used to be that printers needed to have the physical dimensions established (at for example 4"x6")_ AND_ have a preset ppi of a certain minimum value (example: 150 ppi minimum). > > When I do Photoshop work and use the RAW plugin to open 72 ppi JPEGs: the image is then saved at 240 ppi - with physical dimensions converted to "relative size" (ie, 30% of the size when the image had 72 ppi). > > On the other hand, if one takes a 4"x6" image which has 240 ppi and converts "down" to 72 ppi: image quality is insufficient to make good prints. > > All of the above assumes one is using the "100" compression /quality setting. In other words, with no compression. > > > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Craig Johnson <cajkeg@...> wrote: >> >> Hi >> >> GC 6.5.1 >> >> When I save a jpeg on my Intel MacBook (running Leopard) it always >> saves as 72ppi, no matter what the original resolution was. Other >> formats are OK, I've noticed this problem with jpegs only. I've gone >> thru the prefs w/ a fine tooth comb, can't find anything to fix this. >> >> There is no problem doing the exact same thing on my PowerPC >> Powerbook (running Tiger 10.4.11), the resolution stays where I want it. >> >> How can I save jpegs higher than 72ppi on my newer puter? Hoping >> nobody tells me I have to upgrade to GC 7. >> >> Thanks! >> > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
Marino Pascal

Post by Marino Pascal »

On 5/13/12 8:58 AM, bfranklinrules wrote: > Hello, > I "think" that ppi is important when, for example, printing an image. Not really. You can adjust the size of the printed image through the printer dialog. The printer won't throw pixels away. The smaller the image, the better the quality. > All of the above assumes one is using the "100" compression /quality setting. In other words, with no compression. If you are using JPGs at 100% you shouldn't be using the JPG format. You should be using some lossless format. Marino Pascal
guppiegold

Post by guppiegold »

Hey Craig, Were you able to solve this problem. I'm having the exact issue and need to be able to save JPGs at 200 DPI. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Craig Johnson <cajkeg@...> wrote: > > Hi > > GC 6.5.1 > > When I save a jpeg on my Intel MacBook (running Leopard) it always > saves as 72ppi, no matter what the original resolution was. Other > formats are OK, I've noticed this problem with jpegs only. I've gone > thru the prefs w/ a fine tooth comb, can't find anything to fix this. > > There is no problem doing the exact same thing on my PowerPC > Powerbook (running Tiger 10.4.11), the resolution stays where I want it. > > How can I save jpegs higher than 72ppi on my newer puter? Hoping > nobody tells me I have to upgrade to GC 7. > > Thanks! >