GC8 vs GC6 browser performance

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Jim Tuttle

GC8 vs GC6 browser performance

Post by Jim Tuttle »

I just upgraded to version 8, after skipping version 7. I was never happy with the browser in 7. Now I'm comparing version 8's browser with version 6's, and I'm still not happy. Maybe it's the app, or maybe it's something in my setup. I have a NAS device with all my photos. Performance in 6's browser is very good. I can open a folder of 200-some photos in under 5 seconds. All photos appear to have a thumbnail "instantly" (I can scroll thru the photos, and they all have thumbnails). But, in version 8, opening the same folder takes about 15 seconds, and the thumbnails are NOT all automatically there. When I scroll in the browser, there are placeholders for the photos, which then get filled in by thumbnails. These thumbnails are cached while GC8 is running, but they're lost if you quit and then come back to that folder. Finally, there's a real difference in the preview window in the browser. In GC6, the preview is pretty sharp and clear, but it's definitely fuzzy in GC8 (I can provide an example). GC8 does offer a Fast Preview contextual command, which does display the normal sharp/clear photo, just like GC6's preview window shows. So, is it just me? Do other people have slow browser performance with non-pre-loaded thumbnails and fuzzy previews? I've been using GC for YEARS, and skipped version 7 due to similar issues. I'd like to get back on track, but can't live with the browser operating like this.
thorstenlemke

Re: GC8 vs GC6 browser performance

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,did you try to trash the preferences com.lemkesoft.graphicconverter.plistI tried here with my QNAP. No problems.Thorsten On 22.05.2012, at 02:14, Jim Tuttle wrote:   I just upgraded to version 8, after skipping version 7. I was never happy with the browser in 7. Now I'm comparing version 8's browser with version 6's, and I'm still not happy. Maybe it's the app, or maybe it's something in my setup. I have a NAS device with all my photos. Performance in 6's browser is very good. I can open a folder of 200-some photos in under 5 seconds. All photos appear to have a thumbnail "instantly" (I can scroll thru the photos, and they all have thumbnails). But, in version 8, opening the same folder takes about 15 seconds, and the thumbnails are NOT all automatically there. When I scroll in the browser, there are placeholders for the photos, which then get filled in by thumbnails. These thumbnails are cached while GC8 is running, but they're lost if you quit and then come back to that folder. Finally, there's a real difference in the preview window in the browser. In GC6, the preview is pretty sharp and clear, but it's definitely fuzzy in GC8 (I can provide an example). GC8 does offer a Fast Preview contextual command, which does display the normal sharp/clear photo, just like GC6's preview window shows. So, is it just me? Do other people have slow browser performance with non-pre-loaded thumbnails and fuzzy previews? I've been using GC for YEARS, and skipped version 7 due to similar issues. I'd like to get back on track, but can't live with the browser operating like this.
John B Alaska Boy

Post by John B Alaska Boy »

Thorsten, I too skipped version 7; thus I will be comparing the browser from version 6 to version 8. I am disappointed with the brwoser in GC 8. My points are as follows: (i will use "thumbnails" & "previews" to mean the previews in the browser window) 1-- The previews do not seem to be cached like they were in GC 6. As I scroll thru a folder with pictures I see a LOT of placeholders. The first time I scroll thru the folder I see placeholders as I scroll down, and it takes a few seconds for the previews to catch up. As i scroll up and down (after the first look thru) there less placeholders, but still..... I LOVE the GC 6 browser where the thumbnails just stay there all the time. 2-- It seems to want to recreate ALL the thumbnails every time. GC 6 seemed to just keep the same thumbnails and instantly have them, just sometimes taking a few seconds to create NEW ones. 3-- It does not seem to kep the thumbnails/previews from one session to the next. I know it is new, and I hope these can be addressed. You ROCK and GC is still the best money spent on software... EVER! John in North Pole (GC licensee since version 2 or 3? I think) --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Tuttle" <jimtut@...> wrote: > > I just upgraded to version 8, after skipping version 7. I was never happy with the browser in 7. > > Now I'm comparing version 8's browser with version 6's, and I'm still not happy. Maybe it's the app, or maybe it's something in my setup. > > I have a NAS device with all my photos. Performance in 6's browser is very good. I can open a folder of 200-some photos in under 5 seconds. All photos appear to have a thumbnail "instantly" (I can scroll thru the photos, and they all have thumbnails). > > But, in version 8, opening the same folder takes about 15 seconds, and the thumbnails are NOT all automatically there. When I scroll in the browser, there are placeholders for the photos, which then get filled in by thumbnails. These thumbnails are cached while GC8 is running, but they're lost if you quit and then come back to that folder. > > Finally, there's a real difference in the preview window in the browser. In GC6, the preview is pretty sharp and clear, but it's definitely fuzzy in GC8 (I can provide an example). GC8 does offer a Fast Preview contextual command, which does display the normal sharp/clear photo, just like GC6's preview window shows. > > So, is it just me? Do other people have slow browser performance with non-pre-loaded thumbnails and fuzzy previews? > > I've been using GC for YEARS, and skipped version 7 due to similar issues. I'd like to get back on track, but can't live with the browser operating like this. >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,GC8 stores the thumbnails in the resource fork of the files in PICT format - as usual for the MacOS in Classic environment.Apple does drop the PICT support with 64 bit. Also, resource forks should not be used any longer (many file systems do not support them).So, I recreate the thumbs on the fly (that is normally really fast). Did you try to trash the prefs?Thorsten On 22.05.2012, at 17:38, John B Alaska Boy wrote:   Thorsten, I too skipped version 7; thus I will be comparing the browser from version 6 to version 8. I am disappointed with the brwoser in GC 8. My points are as follows: (i will use "thumbnails" & "previews" to mean the previews in the browser window) 1-- The previews do not seem to be cached like they were in GC 6. As I scroll thru a folder with pictures I see a LOT of placeholders. The first time I scroll thru the folder I see placeholders as I scroll down, and it takes a few seconds for the previews to catch up. As i scroll up and down (after the first look thru) there less placeholders, but still..... I LOVE the GC 6 browser where the thumbnails just stay there all the time. 2-- It seems to want to recreate ALL the thumbnails every time. GC 6 seemed to just keep the same thumbnails and instantly have them, just sometimes taking a few seconds to create NEW ones. 3-- It does not seem to kep the thumbnails/previews from one session to the next. .
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,sorry typo: GC6 stored the thumbnails in the resource fork.GC8 do no longer do this by default in the browser - because this will increase the file size and the lion finder and other apps can not use it.Thorsten On 22.05.2012, at 17:45, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hello,GC8 stores the thumbnails in the resource fork of the files in PICT format - as usual for the MacOS in Classic environment.Apple does drop the PICT support with 64 bit. Also, resource forks should not be used any longer (many file systems do not support them).So, I recreate the thumbs on the fly (that is normally really fast). Did you try to trash the prefs?Thorsten On 22.05.2012, at 17:38, John B Alaska Boy wrote:.
Jim Tuttle

Post by Jim Tuttle »

I deleted my prefs, re-opened GC8, and tweaked a few new prefs. Initial Browser launch seems much better now. There is still the delay that John and I notice in loading/displaying the thumbnails. In GC6 they all just used to be there immediately. I'm sure it's a more effective use of memory to only load the thumbnails as you scroll thru the photos, but I wish there was a way to pre-load all of them when browsing to a folder. But, other than the thumbnail delay, the initial browser load is much faster. I think turning off the folders on the left side of the browser window helped a lot. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > sorry typo: GC6 stored the thumbnails in the resource fork. > > GC8 do no longer do this by default in the browser - because this will increase the file size and the lion finder and other apps can not use it. > > Thorsten > > On 22.05.2012, at 17:45, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > > > Hello, > > > > > > GC8 stores the thumbnails in the resource fork of the files in PICT format - as usual for the MacOS in Classic environment. > > > > Apple does drop the PICT support with 64 bit. Also, resource forks should not be used any longer (many file systems do not support them). > > > > So, I recreate the thumbs on the fly (that is normally really fast). Did you try to trash the prefs? > > > > Thorsten > > > > > > On 22.05.2012, at 17:38, John B Alaska Boy wrote: > > . > > > > >