Creation Date gets written over between Camera and Browse mode

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Dale Dreher

Creation Date gets written over between Camera and Browse mode

Post by Dale Dreher »

I really need the Creation date of my pictures, since I need to know what time of day, exactly, the photo was taken.But, when I import the photos using Image Browser, from my Canon T3i to my Desktop I am not sure about the time remaining the same.But, when I do my Batch Convert, Scaling the pictures, it seems the Creation Date is getting overwritten by the Batch Convert Date and Time.In my Browser Mode/Thumbnails Mode, I have the Creation Date and Modification Date displayed and they are the same after I do a Batch convert.How do I turn OFF the Date Overwrite since I really need to alway know the actual date and time of the picture?Thanks again.  What I learn I will share with other GC users, so thanks for spreading the knowledge. DALE DREHERLocation Manager & ScoutTeamsters Local 399, LMGA, DGA(310) 600-5020 celldale@hazardtown.comhttp://www.MaverickLocations.com
thorstenlemke

Re: Creation Date gets written over between Camera and Browse mode

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,just select all files in the browser.Select in the context menu: Actions/Metadata/Set Filedate to EXIF Date.Thats all. Now the file date will match the exif date.Thorsten On 03.06.2012, at 02:07, Dale Dreher wrote:   I really need the Creation date of my pictures, since I need to know what time of day, exactly, the photo was taken.But, when I import the photos using Image Browser, from my Canon T3i to my Desktop I am not sure about the time remaining the same.But, when I do my Batch Convert, Scaling the pictures, it seems the Creation Date is getting overwritten by the Batch Convert Date and Time.In my Browser Mode/Thumbnails Mode, I have the Creation Date and Modification Date displayed and they are the same after I do a Batch convert.How do I turn OFF the Date Overwrite since I really need to alway know the actual date and time of the picture?Thanks again.  What I learn I will share with other GC users, so thanks for spreading the knowledge.
Dale Dreher

Post by Dale Dreher »

just tried that, didn't work.   I think the EXIF Date is getting blown over by either my Batch Scale or something.How do I make sure the Write over for EXIF Creation Date is turned OFF in all steps and processes?I really need to maintain the real Creation Date and time on all of my photos, at least from now on.Thank you.Dale.------ On Jun 2, 2012, at 10:54 PM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hello,just select all files in the browser.Select in the context menu: Actions/Metadata/Set Filedate to EXIF Date.Thats all. Now the file date will match the exif date.ThorstenOn 03.06.2012, at 02:07, Dale Dreher wrote:   I really need the Creation date of my pictures, since I need to know what time of day, exactly, the photo was taken.But, when I import the photos using Image Browser, from my Canon T3i to my Desktop I am not sure about the time remaining the same.But, when I do my Batch Convert, Scaling the pictures, it seems the Creation Date is getting overwritten by the Batch Convert Date and Time.In my Browser Mode/Thumbnails Mode, I have the Creation Date and Modification Date displayed and they are the same after I do a Batch convert.How do I turn OFF the Date Overwrite since I really need to alway know the actual date and time of the picture?Thanks again.  What I learn I will share with other GC users, so thanks for spreading the knowledge.
Dale Dreher

Post by Dale Dreher »

something in my Batch Convert step is causing the Creation Date to get blow over.  If this works, here attached is a screen shot of my Batch convert screen, what is causing me to loose the Creation date and time?  Darn it , just lost all my Shoot Times, See attached.Thank.Dale. On Jun 3, 2012, at 7:28 PM, Dale Dreher wrote:   just tried that, didn't work.   I think the EXIF Date is getting blown over by either my Batch Scale or something.How do I make sure the Write over for EXIF Creation Date is turned OFF in all steps and processes?I really need to maintain the real Creation Date and time on all of my photos, at least from now on.Thank you.Dale.------On Jun 2, 2012, at 10:54 PM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hello,just select all files in the browser.Select in the context menu: Actions/Metadata/Set Filedate to EXIF Date.Thats all. Now the file date will match the exif date.ThorstenOn 03.06.2012, at 02:07, Dale Dreher wrote:   I really need the Creation date of my pictures, since I need to know what time of day, exactly, the photo was taken.But, when I import the photos using Image Browser, from my Canon T3i to my Desktop I am not sure about the time remaining the same.But, when I do my Batch Convert, Scaling the pictures, it seems the Creation Date is getting overwritten by the Batch Convert Date and Time.In my Browser Mode/Thumbnails Mode, I have the Creation Date and Modification Date displayed and they are the same after I do a Batch convert.How do I turn OFF the Date Overwrite since I really need to alway know the actual date and time of the picture?Thanks again.  What I learn I will share with other GC users, so thanks for spreading the knowledge.
Dale Dreher

Post by Dale Dreher »

here is the screen shot of all my Time Sensitive photos, now all haveing the Batch Convert Date as the Creation Date.-Dale.any ideas?Really appreciate it.Is this stuff in the manual and I just didn't read it?  I am a smart guy but .... ?---------------------------------------On Jun 3, 2012, at 7:57 PM, Dale Dreher wrote: something in my Batch Convert step is causing the Creation Date to get blow over.  If this works, here attached is a screen shot of my Batch convert screen, what is causing me to loose the Creation date and time?  Darn it , just lost all my Shoot Times, See attached.Thank.Dale.<0-Batch Convert-Scale loosing Creation date here.jpg>On Jun 3, 2012, at 7:28 PM, Dale Dreher wrote:   just tried that, didn't work.   I think the EXIF Date is getting blown over by either my Batch Scale or something.How do I make sure the Write over for EXIF Creation Date is turned OFF in all steps and processes?I really need to maintain the real Creation Date and time on all of my photos, at least from now on.Thank you.Dale.------On Jun 2, 2012, at 10:54 PM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hello,just select all files in the browser.Select in the context menu: Actions/Metadata/Set Filedate to EXIF Date.Thats all. Now the file date will match the exif date.ThorstenOn 03.06.2012, at 02:07, Dale Dreher wrote:   I really need the Creation date of my pictures, since I need to know what time of day, exactly, the photo was taken.But, when I import the photos using Image Browser, from my Canon T3i to my Desktop I am not sure about the time remaining the same.But, when I do my Batch Convert, Scaling the pictures, it seems the Creation Date is getting overwritten by the Batch Convert Date and Time.In my Browser Mode/Thumbnails Mode, I have the Creation Date and Modification Date displayed and they are the same after I do a Batch convert.How do I turn OFF the Date Overwrite since I really need to alway know the actual date and time of the picture?Thanks again.  What I learn I will share with other GC users, so thanks for spreading the knowledge.
David L. Wasley

Post by David L. Wasley »

Well, the file creation date is the date the file was created.  It has nothing to do with the date the photo was taken.If your batch convert script saves the converted image to a new file then that will be the creation date.  It is the Mac OS that is setting it because that's the date/time that the Mac OS created the file.I would assume also that if you take pictures on March 23 and upload them on April 2 then the "creation date" will be April 2 for the same reason unless Mac OS miraculously recognizes and maintains the Canon file system dates.I think that what you want is the date in the image metadata. DavidOn Jun 3, 2012, at 8:04 PM, Dale Dreher wrote: here is the screen shot of all my Time Sensitive photos, now all haveing the Batch Convert Date as the Creation Date.-Dale.any ideas?Really appreciate it.Is this stuff in the manual and I just didn't read it?  I am a smart guy but .... ?---------------------------------------<oh my god lost my creation date in Batch Scale mode.jpg>On Jun 3, 2012, at 7:57 PM, Dale Dreher wrote:something in my Batch Convert step is causing the Creation Date to get blow over.  If this works, here attached is a screen shot of my Batch convert screen, what is causing me to loose the Creation date and time?  Darn it , just lost all my Shoot Times, See attached.Thank.Dale.<0-Batch Convert-Scale loosing Creation date here.jpg>On Jun 3, 2012, at 7:28 PM, Dale Dreher wrote:   just tried that, didn't work.   I think the EXIF Date is getting blown over by either my Batch Scale or something.How do I make sure the Write over for EXIF Creation Date is turned OFF in all steps and processes?I really need to maintain the real Creation Date and time on all of my photos, at least from now on.Thank you.Dale.------On Jun 2, 2012, at 10:54 PM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hello,just select all files in the browser.Select in the context menu: Actions/Metadata/Set Filedate to EXIF Date.Thats all. Now the file date will match the exif date.ThorstenOn 03.06.2012, at 02:07, Dale Dreher wrote:   I really need the Creation date of my pictures, since I need to know what time of day, exactly, the photo was taken.But, when I import the photos using Image Browser, from my Canon T3i to my Desktop I am not sure about the time remaining the same.But, when I do my Batch Convert, Scaling the pictures, it seems the Creation Date is getting overwritten by the Batch Convert Date and Time.In my Browser Mode/Thumbnails Mode, I have the Creation Date and Modification Date displayed and they are the same after I do a Batch convert.How do I turn OFF the Date Overwrite since I really need to alway know the actual date and time of the picture?Thanks again.  What I learn I will share with other GC users, so thanks for spreading the knowledge.
Alfred J Treder

Post by Alfred J Treder »

Dale,Dave said what I was going to say. The converted file is a new copy with converted characteristics, and just automatically gets a creation date of ITS creation. But you can keep the old EXIF data with the new file, which would include the creation date you want. First check the box to store EXIF data in the new file metadata. The file gets a little bigger but you will be keeping your history straight. Then click on the EXIF options button to get its submenu; one of those options is to keep the old EXIF data unmodified. I don't know if the creation date shown by Finder will look any different, but in a more comprehensive display of metadata you will see the old EXIF stuff. At least it won't be lost.There is an organized way to keep the creation date always visible: rename all files with the original creation data in the name itself. You can concatenate desired text with the date data, and also concatenate index numbers or letters. Makes for long names, but the name can stay the same when the file is modified, if you want. I do this regularly when I bring image files into the computer from the camera or SD card. Al“ I've always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have been more specific. ”-- Lily Tomlin On Jun 3, 2012, at 9:03 PM, David L. Wasley wrote:   Well, the file creation date is the date the file was created.  It has nothing to do with the date the photo was taken.If your batch convert script saves the converted image to a new file then that will be the creation date.  It is the Mac OS that is setting it because that's the date/time that the Mac OS created the file.I would assume also that if you take pictures on March 23 and upload them on April 2 then the "creation date" will be April 2 for the same reason unless Mac OS miraculously recognizes and maintains the Canon file system dates.I think that what you want is the date in the image metadata. DavidOn Jun 3, 2012, at 8:04 PM, Dale Dreher wrote:here is the screen shot of all my Time Sensitive photos, now all haveing the Batch Convert Date as the Creation Date.-Dale.any ideas?Really appreciate it.Is this stuff in the manual and I just didn't read it?  I am a smart guy but .... ?---------------------------------------<oh my god lost my creation date in Batch Scale mode.jpg>On Jun 3, 2012, at 7:57 PM, Dale Dreher wrote:something in my Batch Convert step is causing the Creation Date to get blow over.  If this works, here attached is a screen shot of my Batch convert screen, what is causing me to loose the Creation date and time?  Darn it , just lost all my Shoot Times, See attached.Thank.Dale.<0-Batch Convert-Scale loosing Creation date here.jpg>On Jun 3, 2012, at 7:28 PM, Dale Dreher wrote:   just tried that, didn't work.   I think the EXIF Date is getting blown over by either my Batch Scale or something.How do I make sure the Write over for EXIF Creation Date is turned OFF in all steps and processes?I really need to maintain the real Creation Date and time on all of my photos, at least from now on.Thank you.Dale.------On Jun 2, 2012, at 10:54 PM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hello,just select all files in the browser.Select in the context menu: Actions/Metadata/Set Filedate to EXIF Date.Thats all. Now the file date will match the exif date.ThorstenOn 03.06.2012, at 02:07, Dale Dreher wrote:   I really need the Creation date of my pictures, since I need to know what time of day, exactly, the photo was taken.But, when I import the photos using Image Browser, from my Canon T3i to my Desktop I am not sure about the time remaining the same.But, when I do my Batch Convert, Scaling the pictures, it seems the Creation Date is getting overwritten by the Batch Convert Date and Time.In my Browser Mode/Thumbnails Mode, I have the Creation Date and Modification Date displayed and they are the same after I do a Batch convert.How do I turn OFF the Date Overwrite since I really need to alway know the actual date and time of the picture?Thanks again.  What I learn I will share with other GC users, so thanks for spreading the knowledge.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,I would first select all files in the browser and select in the context menu "Actions/Metadata/Set File Date to EXIF Date".Thorsten On 04.06.2012, at 06:03, David L. Wasley wrote:   Well, the file creation date is the date the file was created.  It has nothing to do with the date the photo was taken.If your batch convert script saves the converted image to a new file then that will be the creation date.  It is the Mac OS that is setting it because that's the date/time that the Mac OS created the file.I would assume also that if you take pictures on March 23 and upload them on April 2 then the "creation date" will be April 2 for the same reason unless Mac OS miraculously recognizes and maintains the Canon file system dates.I think that what you want is the date in the image metadata. DavidOn Jun 3, 2012, at 8:04 PM, Dale 
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,you can select in the prefs: keep date during conversion.ThorstenOn 04.06.2012, at 04:57, Dale Dreher wrote: something in my Batch Convert step is causing the Creation Date to get blow over.  If this works, here attached is a screen shot of my Batch convert screen, what is causing me to loose the Creation date and time?  Darn it , just lost all my Shoot Times, See attached.
Marino Pascal

Post by Marino Pascal »

Attachments :My photos all have the creation date and time identical to the date and time the camera shot them. I do this by checking the appropriate checkboxes in Preferences. I use GC for importing images not Canon Image Browser. In GC6 there are three different places in Preferences that have to be checked to preserve the original date and time. (see attached screenshots) I have no idea if there is such an option in GC8. If there isn't there should be. Marino Pascal