2 Problems

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Dominik

2 Problems

Post by Dominik »

With this newest iteration of GC (Build933) I'm getting terrible wait times after browsing to open a folder. Takes 50+Sec to open a folder of 82 picts (3G) ... and that is after this folder has been opened 2X previously ... with no changes. The second problem ... and probably mine ... is that I no longer find the "Delete & Next" arrow when browsing through the pictures in the "Adjustment(?)" window. I have only "Previous", "Next" and "Save & Next". Believe this same window once had "Delete & Next". Only way I can find to delete is to revert back to the plain browser window and "Delete". Guess I'm missing something? (MBP, 8GRAM, Sys 10.7, 2.66 i7)
dknodel@swbell.net

Re: 2 Problems (933)

Post by dknodel@swbell.net »

I have the same problem with wait times, sometimes after deleting an image file, moving it, or changing folders the browser takes 40+ seconds to refresh the display, or change folders.I think the 'Delete and Next' issue is a pref, but I don't recall where since I don't like the 'Modified' folder option and so don't use that function.Because of the wait times, I back to GC 7.5 which does mostly what I need.From: Dominik <fissi@verizon.net>Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Friday, June 29, 2012 10:06 AMTo: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: [gcmac] 2 Problems   With this newest iteration of GC (Build933) I'm getting terrible wait times after browsing to open a folder. Takes 50+Sec to open a folder of 82 picts (3G) ... and that is after this folder has been opened 2X previously ... with no changes. The second problem ... and probably mine ... is that I no longer find the "Delete & Next" arrow when browsing through the pictures in the "Adjustment(?)" window. I have only "Previous", "Next" and "Save & Next". Believe this same window once had "Delete & Next". Only way I can find to delete is to revert back to the plain browser window and "Delete". Guess I'm missing something? (MBP, 8GRAM, Sys 10.7, 2.66 i7)
Mike Alexander

Re: 2 Problems

Post by Mike Alexander »

--On June 29, 2012 3:06:43 PM +0000 Dominik <fissi@verizon.net> wrote: > With this newest iteration of GC (Build933) I'm getting terrible wait > times after browsing to open a folder. Takes 50+Sec to open a folder > of 82 picts (3G) ... and that is after this folder has been opened 2X > previously ... with no changes. This is likely the same problem I reported a few days ago in the thread entitled "Memory leak". It would be interesting (to me at least) if you looked at GC with Activity Monitor after the waiting for the browser to open to see how much virtual memory it is using. In my case (with a much larger folder containing 4000 pictures) it was using several gigabytes of VM. As I was waiting for the browser to open I could see this going up. Mike
Dominick Frank Issi

Post by Dominick Frank Issi »

@Mike... watched my Activity Monitor as GC lumbered through the window opening. Never fluctuated with a memory issue ... but I did get two "red" messages which read "GC is not responding".Dominik On Jun 29, 2012, at 11:34 AM, Mike Alexander wrote:   --On June 29, 2012 3:06:43 PM +0000 Dominik <fissi@verizon.net> wrote: > With this newest iteration of GC (Build933) I'm getting terrible wait > times after browsing to open a folder. Takes 50+Sec to open a folder > of 82 picts (3G) ... and that is after this folder has been opened 2X > previously ... with no changes. This is likely the same problem I reported a few days ago in the thread entitled "Memory leak". It would be interesting (to me at least) if you looked at GC with Activity Monitor after the waiting for the browser to open to see how much virtual memory it is using. In my case (with a much larger folder containing 4000 pictures) it was using several gigabytes of VM. As I was waiting for the browser to open I could see this going up. Mike
Mike Alexander

Post by Mike Alexander »

--On June 29, 2012 12:14:03 PM -0400 "Dominick (Frank) Issi" <fissi@verizon.net> wrote: > @Mike... watched my Activity Monitor as GC lumbered through the > window opening. Never fluctuated with a memory issue ... but I did > get two "red" messages which read "GC is not responding". Did you double click on GC in the Activity Monitor process list and select the "Memory" tab in the resulting window? That's where you will find an entry for "Virtual Memory Size". Mike
Dominick Frank Issi

Mike ... yes. Only time I got an increase in VM was when the browser window finally opened. Went from 513MB to 540MB. Dominik On Jun 29, 2012, at 12:25 PM, Mike Alexander wrote:   --On June 29, 2012 12:14:03 PM -0400 "Dominick (Frank) Issi" <fissi@verizon.net> wrote: > @Mike... watched my Activity Monitor as GC lumbered through the > window opening. Never fluctuated with a memory issue ... but I did > get two "red" messages which read "GC is not responding". Did you double click on GC in the Activity Monitor process list and select the "Memory" tab in the resulting window? That's where you will find an entry for "Virtual Memory Size". Mike
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,1) Did you try to trash the prefs? I changed nothing on the folder display routines.2) I did hide Delete&Next by default. Simply adjust the toolbar with the context menu.Thorsten On 29.06.2012, at 17:06, Dominik wrote:   With this newest iteration of GC (Build933) I'm getting terrible wait times after browsing to open a folder. Takes 50+Sec to open a folder of 82 picts (3G) ... and that is after this folder has been opened 2X previously ... with no changes. The second problem ... and probably mine ... is that I no longer find the "Delete & Next" arrow when browsing through the pictures in the "Adjustment(?)" window. I have only "Previous", "Next" and "Save & Next". Believe this same window once had "Delete & Next". Only way I can find to delete is to revert back to the plain browser window and "Delete". Guess I'm missing something? (MBP, 8GRAM, Sys 10.7, 2.66 i7)
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello Mike,are the file local or on a network disk?Is the map support active?I am not able to reproduce such problems here.Thorsten On 29.06.2012, at 18:25, Mike Alexander wrote:   --On June 29, 2012 12:14:03 PM -0400 "Dominick (Frank) Issi" <fissi@verizon.net> wrote: > @Mike... watched my Activity Monitor as GC lumbered through the > window opening. Never fluctuated with a memory issue ... but I did > get two "red" messages which read "GC is not responding". Did you double click on GC in the Activity Monitor process list and select the "Memory" tab in the resulting window? That's where you will find an entry for "Virtual Memory Size". Mike
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi Mike,that is really only a minimal change - required to cache the previews.A problem would be the usage of many GBs.ThorstenOn 29.06.2012, at 18:39, Dominick (Frank) Issi wrote: Mike ... yes. Only time I got an increase in VM was when the browser window finally opened. Went from 513MB to 540MB. 
Dominick Frank Issi

Thorsten,Thanks for the info. Got just what I needed!Take Care///Dominik On Jun 29, 2012, at 5:52 PM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hello,1) Did you try to trash the prefs? I changed nothing on the folder display routines.2) I did hide Delete&Next by default. Simply adjust the toolbar with the context menu.ThorstenOn 29.06.2012, at 17:06, Dominik wrote:   With this newest iteration of GC (Build933) I'm getting terrible wait times after browsing to open a folder. Takes 50+Sec to open a folder of 82 picts (3G) ... and that is after this folder has been opened 2X previously ... with no changes. The second problem ... and probably mine ... is that I no longer find the "Delete & Next" arrow when browsing through the pictures in the "Adjustment(?)" window. I have only "Previous", "Next" and "Save & Next". Believe this same window once had "Delete & Next". Only way I can find to delete is to revert back to the plain browser window and "Delete". Guess I'm missing something? (MBP, 8GRAM, Sys 10.7, 2.66 i7)