Headless print

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
dknodel@swbell.net

Headless print

Post by dknodel@swbell.net »

Attachments :I am trying to print an image. I select plain paper, all, absolute centered, Fit-to-Page: scale-to-fit His head is always cut off.
Hans Rijnbout

Re: Headless print

Post by Hans Rijnbout »

On 6 jul. 2012, at 18:59, dknodel@swbell.net wrote: I am trying to print an image.  I select plain paper, all, absolutecentered, Fit-to-Page: scale-to-fitHis head is always cut off.Not here, so it's probably not GC's fault. --Hans RijnboutUtrecht, Netherlands
dknodel@swbell.net

Attachments :I don't think anything outside of GC will affect this.  Certainly nothing in the Finder or macOS I know of.This is what I see in preview screenshot:It looks fine there in the preview (above), but what I get is:Yes, it is a low quality scan which I chose to save bits.  But it shows the 'cropped' picture that I get.dvdFrom: Hans Rijnbout <jrijnb@xs4all.nl>Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Friday, July 6, 2012 1:12 PMTo: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: Re: [gcmac] Headless print   On 6 jul. 2012, at 18:59, dknodel@swbell.net wrote:I am trying to print an image.  I select plain paper, all, absolutecentered, Fit-to-Page: scale-to-fitHis head is always cut off.Not here, so it's probably not GC's fault.--Hans RijnboutUtrecht, Netherlands
aedan mcghie

Post by aedan mcghie »

My HP printer has been cropping photos for months now. It's quite annoying. aedanA bicycle for the mind.  On 6 Jul 2012, at 20:06, "dknodel@swbell.net" <dknodel@swbell.net> wrote:   I don't think anything outside of GC will affect this.  Certainly nothing in the Finder or macOS I know of.This is what I see in preview screenshot:<SurferScreen.png>It looks fine there in the preview (above), but what I get is:<SurferScan.png>Yes, it is a low quality scan which I chose to save bits.  But it shows the 'cropped' picture that I get.dvd
Alfred J Treder

Post by Alfred J Treder »

I have had a similar problem with my old Epson Stylus Photo 870, and it had nothing to do with GC, because I was using Photoshop Elements. I am quite sure it had to do with the Epson print driver's compatibility with more modern MAC OS's. Epson was very slow in updating their drivers. May also be true for HP. AlI was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there. -- Richard Feynman  On Jul 6, 2012, at 12:22 PM, aedan mcghie wrote:   My HP printer has been cropping photos for months now. It's quite annoying. aedanA bicycle for the mind. On 6 Jul 2012, at 20:06, "dknodel@swbell.net" <dknodel@swbell.net> wrote:   I don't think anything outside of GC will affect this.  Certainly nothing in the Finder or macOS I know of.This is what I see in preview screenshot:<SurferScreen.png>It looks fine there in the preview (above), but what I get is:<SurferScan.png>Yes, it is a low quality scan which I chose to save bits.  But it shows the 'cropped' picture that I get.dvd
dknodel@swbell.net

Hmm so you guys think is an HP driver problem?  Wouldn't surprise me as their drivers generally suck, usually way behind OSX updates…From: Alfred J Treder <altreder@earthlink.net>Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Friday, July 6, 2012 2:52 PMTo: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: Re: [gcmac] Headless print   I have had a similar problem with my old Epson Stylus Photo 870, and it had nothing to do with GC, because I was using Photoshop Elements. I am quite sure it had to do with the Epson print driver's compatibility with more modern MAC OS's. Epson was very slow in updating their drivers. May also be true for HP.AlI was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there. -- Richard Feynman On Jul 6, 2012, at 12:22 PM, aedan mcghie wrote:  My HP printer has been cropping photos for months now. It's quite annoying. aedanA bicycle for the mind. On 6 Jul 2012, at 20:06, "dknodel@swbell.net" <dknodel@swbell.net> wrote:  I don't think anything outside of GC will affect this.  Certainly nothing in the Finder or macOS I know of.This is what I see in preview screenshot:<SurferScreen.png>It looks fine there in the preview (above), but what I get is:<SurferScan.png>Yes, it is a low quality scan which I chose to save bits.  But it shows the 'cropped' picture that I get.dvd
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

Hi, GC used to have a Page Setup command that would allow you to set, in addition to centering, all four margins. I found many years ago that that needed to be customized for each printer I used. I don't know if Thorsten has removed that option or just hidden it so I can no longer find it. On Jul 6, 2012, at 1:52 PM, Alfred J Treder wrote: > > > I have had a similar problem with my old Epson Stylus Photo 870, and it had nothing to do with GC, because I was using Photoshop Elements. I am quite sure it had to do with the Epson print driver's compatibility with more modern MAC OS's. Epson was very slow in updating their drivers. May also be true for HP. > > Al > > I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there. -- Richard Feynman > > > > On Jul 6, 2012, at 12:22 PM, aedan mcghie wrote: > > > My HP printer has been cropping photos for months now. It's quite annoying. > > aedan > > A bicycle for the mind. > > On 6 Jul 2012, at 20:06, "dknodel@swbell.net" <dknodel@swbell.net> wrote: > >> >> >> I don't think anything outside of GC will affect this. Certainly nothing in the Finder or macOS I know of. >> This is what I see in preview screenshot: >> >> <SurferScreen.png> >> >> It looks fine there in the preview (above), but what I get is: >> >> <SurferScan.png> >> >> Yes, it is a low quality scan which I chose to save bits. But it shows the 'cropped' picture that I get. >> >> dvd > Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO
aedan mcghie

Post by aedan mcghie »

On 6 Jul 2012, at 21:13, "dknodel@swbell.net" <dknodel@swbell.net> wrote: > Hmm so you guys think is an HP driver problem? Wouldn't surprise me as their drivers generally suck, usually way behind OSX updates… Well I get the same behaviour in GC, Aperture, iPhoto etc. The common factors are the printer, OS and printer driver. I don't have a non HP printer to check what happens. aedan A bicycle for the mind.
Bill Bedford

Post by Bill Bedford »

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 15:13:33 -0500, dknodel@swbell.net wrote: > Hmm so you guys think is an HP driver problem? Wouldn't surprise me as > their drivers generally suck, usually way behind OSX updatesŠ You could try Gutenprint <http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php> -- Bill Bedford "Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun" -- Clifford Geertz
watcombeman

Post by watcombeman »

If I understand you correctly, you will find it in Preferences under the Print icon. Not very dynamic, but it's there, together with the options for the print header. But I think there used to be an option to alter this from the Print dialogues, and I can't find that. John. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Robert Poland <rpoland@...> wrote: > > Hi, > > GC used to have a Page Setup command that would allow you to set, in addition to centering, all four margins. I found many years ago that that needed to be customized for each printer I used. > > I don't know if Thorsten has removed that option or just hidden it so I can no longer find it. >