Missing two most used things in version 8 from my old 5.x

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
blankakicksass

Missing two most used things in version 8 from my old 5.x

Post by blankakicksass »

Maybe I don't look good, but I miss two much used functions in GC 8. I rename many items in the browser, and in 5.x I can select pictures, and right-click and pick rename. It gives me very extensive renaming options. Second thing is: Where did the thumbnails go? In 5.x I have GC set up to make 200x200 pixel thumbnails for all files, which gives me a nice preview in the browser. With version 8 it is just blurry 48x48 pixel Icon upscaling. The option to set the size and quality of previews is unfindable in the preferences. Oh, and maybe it is an idea to make the preferences layout a bit more "stable" like the old one. The new one makes you drunk as it resizes all the time.
thorstenlemke

Re: Missing two most used things in version 8 from my old 5.x

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,it is in the submenu actions of the context menu or just press command + E.MacOS 10.7.x does drop the support for the PICT preview in the resource fork (because PICT is dropped in 64 bit).I create the previews now on the fly.Or in addition: the latest BETA has now a preview cache database.http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.htmlYou can check the option for a fix layout of the prefs, too.Thorsten On 13.07.2012, at 16:59, blankakicksass wrote:   Maybe I don't look good, but I miss two much used functions in GC 8. I rename many items in the browser, and in 5.x I can select pictures, and right-click and pick rename. It gives me very extensive renaming options. Second thing is: Where did the thumbnails go? In 5.x I have GC set up to make 200x200 pixel thumbnails for all files, which gives me a nice preview in the browser. With version 8 it is just blurry 48x48 pixel Icon upscaling. The option to set the size and quality of previews is unfindable in the preferences. Oh, and maybe it is an idea to make the preferences layout a bit more "stable" like the old one. The new one makes you drunk as it resizes all the time.
Matti Haveri

Post by Matti Haveri »

Hello, I'm still using v6.7.6 because I've been too lazy to make the jump to the "new" version and its updated GUI and features. Are there any features missing from v8 compared to v6.7.6. And vice versa? Is there a feature chart comparing the "old" vs "new" GC? BTW, I've skipped OS X 10.7 (I have just glanced it in my test partition) but I'm planning to jump to OS X 10.8 soon. And also move my old "smartphone" Nokia E70 to my obsolete technology museum in the basement and get the new iPhone. - Matti
jamesk8752

Post by jamesk8752 »

--- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Matti Haveri <matti.haveri@...> wrote: (snip) > BTW, I've skipped OS X 10.7 (I have just glanced it in my test > partition) but I'm planning to jump to OS X 10.8 soon. Matti, I hope you are aware that you must have OSX 10.7 installed to upgrade to OSX 10.8. It seems that Apple sells inexpensive upgrades rather than standalone OSX installs these days. Regards, Jim
watcombeman

Post by watcombeman »

According to MacWorld: Like OS X Lion, when Mountain Lion launches later this month it will be sold via the Mac App Store. However, unlike Lion, which would download even if your Mac didn't have the spec to support it, it seems that the Mac App Store will assess your Mac's suitability for the new operating system before it lets you download, and pay, for it, according to 512 Pixels. Mountain Lion has the following specs. It requires OS X 10.6.8 or later, 2GB RAM and 8GB available space. The following Macs are supported: iMac (from mid 2007 model); MacBook (from late 2008); MacBook Pro (from late 2007); Xserve (from early 2009); MacBook Air (from late 2008); Mac mini (from early 2009) and Mac Pro (from early 2008). I can't find anything from the Apple site itself. John. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "jamesk8752" <jamesk8752@...> wrote: > > > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Matti Haveri <matti.haveri@> wrote: > (snip) > > BTW, I've skipped OS X 10.7 (I have just glanced it in my test > > partition) but I'm planning to jump to OS X 10.8 soon. > > Matti, I hope you are aware that you must have OSX 10.7 installed to upgrade to OSX 10.8. It seems that Apple sells inexpensive upgrades rather than standalone OSX installs these days. > > Regards, Jim >
Daniel W. Johnson

Post by Daniel W. Johnson »

On 2012-07-16 12:04, watcombeman wrote: > I can't find anything from the Apple site itself. I found these on the Apple site (basically confirming what you got from Macworld): http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/ http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/ -- Daniel W. Johnson panoptes@iquest.net http://members.iquest.net/~panoptes/ 039 53 36 N / 086 11 55 W
Matti Haveri

Post by Matti Haveri »

Hello, I already have OS X 10.7 on my test partition. Anyway, I hope I can continue the same procedure as in OS X 10.7 where I have burned a bootable DVD copy of the system downloaded from the App Store: Burning a bootable DVD copy of Mac OS X 10.7 'Lion': NOTE: Do this AFTER downloading Lion and BEFORE installation as the download may be deleted following install! Open Finder and navigate to /Applications/Install Mac OS X Lion. Right-click on the package and choose Show Package Contents. Open the Contents folder. Open SharedSupport and find InstallESD.dmg, and copy it to a convenient location (such as the Desktop). Fire up Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities). Click Burn, select InstallESD.dmg from your convenient location and click Burn. Find a recordable DVD disc and pop it in the optical drive (yes, you need an optical drive to do this) and click Burn. Wait … wait … wait … Job done! Not only does this give you a backup of the download (so you won’t have to download it again), but it also gives you a handy way to install Lion onto another Mac you own. (AFAIK Legally Apple allows you five installs to machines with the same Apple ID.) ...BTW I have a habit of doing a clean install major system updates like this. So I plan to backup extra carefully, reformat, boot from the install DVD, install system, then reinstall needed apps. Discontinued Rosetta now forces me to update several apps anyway. I might update also GC then... - Matti
Jim Mueller

Post by Jim Mueller »

There are several things we use all the time in GC v6.x's Browser that have not made it to 8 yet:- Once you use Find in v8 you can Copy files you have found but can not Move them to arbitrary folders like you can in older versions.- You can not use Create Preview on a folder (or multiple folders) to create previews of its contents and the contents of subfolders.- The thumbnail pane can be narrowed to about a third of the width of the Browser window in v8 but no further. (In earlier versions you can narrow the thumbnails down to a single column, letting the Preview pane fill the rest of the screen.)- The navigation of the new Browser takes some getting used to (still have not, myself) and does not open folders in new windows, so you have to remember to use the left arrow instead of closing the window you opened (as I keep doing). On Jul 15, 2012, at 3:25 PM, Matti Haveri wrote:   Hello, I'm still using v6.7.6 because I've been too lazy to make the jump to the "new" version and its updated GUI and features. Are there any features missing from v8 compared to v6.7.6. And vice versa? Is there a feature chart comparing the "old" vs "new" GC? BTW, I've skipped OS X 10.7 (I have just glanced it in my test partition) but I'm planning to jump to OS X 10.8 soon. And also move my old "smartphone" Nokia E70 to my obsolete technology museum in the basement and get the new iPhone. - Matti
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,thanks for your e-mail.Move and copy is supported.The resource fork with the preview is dead on 10.6.x and later. The Finder can no longer use the PICT preview. So, it is not recommended to use the resource fork any longer.You can define the behavior in the prefs.Thorsten On 24.07.2012, at 06:53, Jim Mueller wrote:   There are several things we use all the time in GC v6.x's Browser that have not made it to 8 yet:- Once you use Find in v8 you can Copy files you have found but can not Move them to arbitrary folders like you can in older versions.- You can not use Create Preview on a folder (or multiple folders) to create previews of its contents and the contents of subfolders.- The thumbnail pane can be narrowed to about a third of the width of the Browser window in v8 but no further. (In earlier versions you can narrow the thumbnails down to a single column, letting the Preview pane fill the rest of the screen.)- The navigation of the new Browser takes some getting used to (still have not, myself) and does not open folders in new windows, so you have to remember to use the left arrow instead of closing the window you opened (as I keep doing).