Date keyed into IPTC refused

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Norm Siler

Date keyed into IPTC refused

Post by Norm Siler »

This might not be the same issue, but I am unable to key in a date to the IPTC field when the Command-I is invoked from the browser. An error message comes back that the keyed data is not parsable. If I set the date field using the "Today" button, the data is accepted. But the date I want to key is a few days earlier, and I have tried yyyymmdd combinations that previously worked. I also notice GC now displays date in the field as I customarily display it in certain apps, but not as previously keyed into IPTC. (Example: Now displaying 31 Aug 2012, which I previously keyed as 31/08/2012.) This is my first attempt since upgrading to GC v. 8.2, and there was no problem previously. I'm sending the first notice now, but will leave my keyboard for the next 3-6 hours, so will check for a reply on 1 September. Norman Siler
thorstenlemke

Re: Date keyed into IPTC refused

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,hmm, how did you enter the date?Thorsten On 31.08.2012, at 17:20, Norm Siler <normsiler@yahoo.com> wrote:   This might not be the same issue, but I am unable to key in a date to the IPTC field when the Command-I is invoked from the browser. An error message comes back that the keyed data is not parsable. If I set the date field using the "Today" button, the data is accepted. But the date I want to key is a few days earlier, and I have tried yyyymmdd combinations that previously worked. I also notice GC now displays date in the field as I customarily display it in certain apps, but not as previously keyed into IPTC. (Example: Now displaying 31 Aug 2012, which I previously keyed as 31/08/2012.) This is my first attempt since upgrading to GC v. 8.2, and there was no problem previously. I'm sending the first notice now, but will leave my keyboard for the next 3-6 hours, so will check for a reply on 1 September. Norman Siler __
Norm Siler

Post by Norm Siler »

Trying several day - month - year combinations consistently returns a "not parseable" error. As example, for 24 July 20122012-07-242012072424 07 201224 Jul 2012240712... a "not pareseable" error message appears. Two of them each time GC rejects the date entry.Clicking the Today button yields "1 Sep 2012"If I key in the exact same combination, GC rejects it as not parseable. Norman Siler From: Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, September 1, 2012 8:28 AM Subject: Re: [gcmac] Date keyed into IPTC refused   Hi,hmm, how did you enter the date?Thorsten On 31.08.2012, at 17:20, Norm Siler <normsiler@yahoo.com> wrote:   This might not be the same issue, but I am unable to key in a date to the IPTC field when the Command-I is invoked from the browser. An error message comes back that the keyed data is not parsable. If I set the date field using the "Today" button, the data is accepted. But the date I want to key is a few days earlier, and I have tried yyyymmdd combinations that previously worked. I also notice GC now displays date in the field as I customarily display it in certain apps, but not as previously keyed into IPTC. (Example: Now displaying 31 Aug 2012, which I previously keyed as 31/08/2012.) This is my first attempt since upgrading to GC v. 8.2, and there was no problem previously. I'm sending the first notice now, but will leave my keyboard for the next 3-6 hours, so will check for a reply on 1 September. Norman Siler __
Norm Siler

Post by Norm Siler »

Same result with GC v. 8.2.1 (986). I tried the same variations for date entry, and the same Today button oddity: it generates today's date when clicked, but keying in identical data is rejected. Looking for possible data translator items, I find nothing in ~/Library/Application Support/Graphic Converter/IPRC/ I inspected several plist files in ~Library/Preferences, and found two ending with plist.lockfile which were created when I first installed GC 8 as upgrade from GC 6. Both have zero byte content. But I don't program, do not write code, so will look no further. I simply wanted to avoid Trashing all the preferences, and hoped to find something with a Date label amiss. Norman Siler --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Norm Siler <normsiler@...> wrote: > > Trying several day - month - year combinations consistently returns a "not parseable" error. As example, for 24 July 2012 > > > 2012-07-24 > > 20120724 > > 24 07 2012 > > 24 Jul 2012 > > 240712 > > ... a "not pareseable" error message appears. Two of them each time GC rejects the date entry. > > > Clicking the Today button yields "1 Sep 2012" > > If I key in the exact same combination, GC rejects it as not parseable. > > > a� Norman Siler > > > ________________________________ > From: Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> > To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Saturday, September 1, 2012 8:28 AM > Subject: Re: [gcmac] Date keyed into IPTC refused > > > a�  > Hi, > > hmm, how did you enter the date? > > Thorsten > > > > On 31.08.2012, at 17:20, Norm Siler <normsiler@...> wrote: > > a�  > >This might not be the same issue, but I am unable to key in a date to the IPTC field when the Command-I is invoked from the browser. > > > >An error message comes back that the keyed data is not parsable. If I set the date field using the "Today" button, the data is accepted. But the date I want to key is a few days earlier, and I have tried yyyymmdd combinations that previously worked. I also notice GC now displays date in the field as I customarily display it in certain apps, but not as previously keyed into IPTC. (Example: Now displaying 31 Aug 2012, which I previously keyed as 31/08/2012.) > > > >This is my first attempt since upgrading to GC v. 8.2, and there was no problem previously. > > > >I'm sending the first notice now, but will leave my keyboard for the next 3-6 hours, so will check for a reply on 1 September. > > > >Norman Siler > > > > > >__ >
David L. Wasley

Post by David L. Wasley »

FWIW, I'm using GC 8.2 (964) and entering a date in that place/method works fine for me.  I tried several different formats.Then I thought perhaps the keyboard input mode was causing the problem you report, possibly due to multi-lingual settings.  I turned on that option and now I get the error message.   David On Sep 2, 2012, at 1:37 AM, Norm Siler wrote:   Same result with GC v. 8.2.1 (986). I tried the same variations for date entry, and the same Today button oddity: it generates today's date when clicked, but keying in identical data is rejected. Looking for possible data translator items, I find nothing in ~/Library/Application Support/Graphic Converter/IPRC/ I inspected several plist files in ~Library/Preferences, and found two ending with plist.lockfile which were created when I first installed GC 8 as upgrade from GC 6. Both have zero byte content. But I don't program, do not write code, so will look no further. I simply wanted to avoid Trashing all the preferences, and hoped to find something with a Date label amiss. Norman Siler --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Norm Siler <normsiler@...> wrote: > > Trying several day - month - year combinations consistently returns a "not parseable" error. As example, for 24 July 2012 > > > 2012-07-24 > > 20120724 > > 24 07 2012 > > 24 Jul 2012 > > 240712 > > ... a "not pareseable" error message appears. Two of them each time GC rejects the date entry. > > > Clicking the Today button yields "1 Sep 2012" > > If I key in the exact same combination, GC rejects it as not parseable. > > > a� Norman Siler > > > ________________________________ > From: Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> > To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Saturday, September 1, 2012 8:28 AM > Subject: Re: [gcmac] Date keyed into IPTC refused > > > a�  > Hi, > > hmm, how did you enter the date? > > Thorsten > > > > On 31.08.2012, at 17:20, Norm Siler <normsiler@...> wrote: > > a�  > >This might not be the same issue, but I am unable to key in a date to the IPTC field when the Command-I is invoked from the browser. > > > >An error message comes back that the keyed data is not parsable. If I set the date field using the "Today" button, the data is accepted. But the date I want to key is a few days earlier, and I have tried yyyymmdd combinations that previously worked. I also notice GC now displays date in the field as I customarily display it in certain apps, but not as previously keyed into IPTC. (Example: Now displaying 31 Aug 2012, which I previously keyed as 31/08/2012.) > > > >This is my first attempt since upgrading to GC v. 8.2, and there was no problem previously. > > > >I'm sending the first notice now, but will leave my keyboard for the next 3-6 hours, so will check for a reply on 1 September. > > > >Norman Siler > > > > > >__ >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,hmm, did you try to trash the application prefs?Thorsten On 02.09.2012, at 10:37, Norm Siler <normsiler@yahoo.com> wrote: Same result with GC v. 8.2.1 (986).I tried the same variations for date entry, and the same Today button oddity: it generates today's date when clicked, but keying in identical data is rejected.Looking for possible data translator items, I find nothing in ~/Library/Application Support/Graphic Converter/IPRC/
Norm Siler

Post by Norm Siler »

Thanks first to David Wasley for suggesting the keyboard check. I have an after-market keyboard and should have thought of that myself. However, I confirmed it's recognized by OS X 10.7.4 and so returned to trying combinations with the latest 987 build of GC. Removed to a separate folder the pref file "com.lemkesoft.graphicconverter.plist" which is the one access dated tonight. Other pref files seemed last accessed when I upgraded to v. 8.x  in late June or earlier.No improvement.I canot dwell on this problem, with a backlog of non-photo tasks to catch up. I will try further later in the week, and use Aperture to import photos and annotate them. It's a hassle putting everything into Aperture, because I don't need to use its larger feature set for the majority of my photos. But for now that will keep the tagging with dates and the usual IPTC items up to date.I will let you know later in the week what progress I make, if any.Norman SIler From: Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:58 PM Subject: Re: [gcmac] Date keyed into IPTC refused   Hello,hmm, did you try to trash the application prefs?Thorsten On 02.09.2012, at 10:37, Norm Siler <normsiler@yahoo.com> wrote: Same result with GC v. 8.2.1 (986).I tried the same variations for date entry, and the same Today button oddity: it generates today's date when clicked, but keying in identical data is rejected.Looking for possible data translator items, I find nothing in ~/Library/Application Support/Graphic Converter/IPRC/
David L. Wasley

Post by David L. Wasley »

Norm,  It isn't a function of the keyboard, it is a function of the operating system.  A third party keyboard would not make any difference.You need to go to the System Preferences, select Language & Text, and make sure "Show Input menu in menu bar" is not checked and the only "Input method" chosen is U.S.  The restart your computer.  I haven't tried every possible combination but that is how I restored the expected behavior of GC after I got the error message.That said, there is clearly some unfortunate interaction between that system pref and the IPTC date input in GC. David On Sep 2, 2012, at 9:46 PM, Norm Siler wrote:   Thanks first to David Wasley for suggesting the keyboard check. I have an after-market keyboard and should have thought of that myself. However, I confirmed it's recognized by OS X 10.7.4 and so returned to trying combinations with the latest 987 build of GC. Removed to a separate folder the pref file "com.lemkesoft.graphicconverter.plist" which is the one access dated tonight. Other pref files seemed last accessed when I upgraded to v. 8.x  in late June or earlier.No improvement.I canot dwell on this problem, with a backlog of non-photo tasks to catch up. I will try further later in the week, and use Aperture to import photos and annotate them. It's a hassle putting everything into Aperture, because I don't need to use its larger feature set for the majority of my photos. But for now that will keep the tagging with dates and the usual IPTC items up to date.I will let you know later in the week what progress I make, if any.Norman SIler From: Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:58 PM Subject: Re: [gcmac] Date keyed into IPTC refused   Hello,hmm, did you try to trash the application prefs?Thorsten On 02.09.2012, at 10:37, Norm Siler <normsiler@yahoo.com> wrote:Same result with GC v. 8.2.1 (986).I tried the same variations for date entry, and the same Today button oddity: it generates today's date when clicked, but keying in identical data is rejected.Looking for possible data translator items, I find nothing in ~/Library/Application Support/Graphic Converter/IPRC/
Norm Siler

Post by Norm Siler »

Thanks for that tip, David. I found the key shortcuts I installed for Graphic Converter lost. Don't know whether that's due to trashing the Prefs file. Probably. I noticed that my custom date setting also was lost, so I re-instated it so that 9/7/2012 is displayed as 7 Sep 2012. When I put it right for the OS X setting, it also changed in GC, and IPTC keyed in that way now works. So, with GC 8.3 (987) installed and manually re-installing shortcuts and Preference settings, things seem back to normal. Thanks to you both, Thorsten and David. Norman Siler --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "David L. Wasley" <dlwasley@...> wrote: > > Norm, It isn't a function of the keyboard, it is a function of the operating system. A third party keyboard would not make any difference. > > You need to go to the System Preferences, select Language & Text, and make sure "Show Input menu in menu bar" is not checked and the only "Input method" chosen is U.S. > > > > The restart your computer. > > I haven't tried every possible combination but that is how I restored the expected behavior of GC after I got the error message. > > That said, there is clearly some unfortunate interaction between that system pref and the IPTC date input in GC. > > David > > On Sep 2, 2012, at 9:46 PM, Norm Siler wrote: > > > > > Thanks first to David Wasley for suggesting the keyboard check. I have an after-market keyboard and should have thought of that myself. However, I confirmed it's recognized by OS X 10.7.4 and so returned to trying combinations with the latest 987 build of GC. > > > > Removed to a separate folder the pref file "com.lemkesoft.graphicconverter.plist" which is the one access dated tonight. Other pref files seemed last accessed when I upgraded to v. 8.x in late June or earlier. > > > > No improvement. > > > > I canot dwell on this problem, with a backlog of non-photo tasks to catch up. I will try further later in the week, and use Aperture to import photos and annotate them. It's a hassle putting everything into Aperture, because I don't need to use its larger feature set for the majority of my photos. But for now that will keep the tagging with dates and the usual IPTC items up to date. > > > > I will let you know later in the week what progress I make, if any. > > > > Norman SIler > > > > From: Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> > > To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com > > Sent: Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:58 PM > > Subject: Re: [gcmac] Date keyed into IPTC refused > > > > > > Hello, > > > > hmm, did you try to trash the application prefs? > > > > Thorsten > > > > > > On 02.09.2012, at 10:37, Norm Siler <normsiler@...> wrote: > > > >> Same result with GC v. 8.2.1 (986). > >> > >> I tried the same variations for date entry, and the same Today button oddity: it generates today's date when clicked, but keying in identical data is rejected. > >> > >> Looking for possible data translator items, I find nothing in ~/Library/Application Support/Graphic Converter/IPRC/ > >> > > > > > > > > > > >