GC loads twice

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
K. Benoit Evans

GC loads twice

Post by K. Benoit Evans »

I have GC 8.2 (964) pinned to the Dock in Mac OS X 10.8.1.When I click on the dock icon, GC opens correctly.However, if I select an image file and click on Open With GC, a new GC icon sometimes (but not always) appears in the dock. If I click on the pinned icon, it opens another instance of GC. Both are GC 8.2 (924).I have no other version of GC on my main hard drive (~/user/applications). There is another one in a SuperDuper backup clone on another hard drive.I tried rebuilding the Launch Services Menu, but the problem persists.What's going on? I think this problem first appeared after I upgraded to Mountain Lion. Regards,Benoa�t Evans
thorstenlemke

Re: GC loads twice

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,is there maybe a second version installed on your hard disk?Thorsten On 23.09.2012, at 04:22, "K. Benoit Evans" <kevans@videotron.ca> wrote:   I have GC 8.2 (964) pinned to the Dock in Mac OS X 10.8.1.When I click on the dock icon, GC opens correctly.However, if I select an image file and click on Open With GC, a new GC icon sometimes (but not always) appears in the dock. If I click on the pinned icon, it opens another instance of GC. Both are GC 8.2 (924).I have no other version of GC on my main hard drive (~/user/applications). There is another one in a SuperDuper backup clone on another hard drive.I tried rebuilding the Launch Services Menu, but the problem persists.What's going on? I think this problem first appeared after I upgraded to Mountain Lion. Regards,Benoa�t Evans
Daniel W. Johnson

Post by Daniel W. Johnson »

On 2012-09-22 22:22, K. Benoit Evans wrote: > However, if I select an image file and click on Open With GC, a new GC > icon sometimes (but not always) appears in the dock. If I click on the > pinned icon, it opens another instance of GC. Both are GC 8.2 (924). Can you right-click on the second icon and select Options > Show in Finder? -- Daniel W. Johnson panoptes@iquest.net http://members.iquest.net/~panoptes/ 039 53 36 N / 086 11 55 W
K. Benoit Evans

Post by K. Benoit Evans »

Hello Thorsten,Yes, there is GC clone on an external back-up disk. That seems to be the one that is opening. (I have no other copies or versions, except in Time Machine, on another external disk.)I have found that tiff files default to Preview (not GC). The problem seems to occur when I select a tiff file or a group of files that contain tiffs and other formats. Then, Open With does not show GC as the default but GC is instead in the apps list. When I click on GC in that list, it is the copy on the back-up disk that opens.After changing the default for tiff files to GC, the problem seems to have gone away. Regards,Benoa�t Evans On 2012-09-23, at 02:46, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:Hello,is there maybe a second version installed on your hard disk?ThorstenOn 23.09.2012, at 04:22, "K. Benoit Evans" <kevans@videotron.ca> wrote:I have GC 8.2 (964) pinned to the Dock in Mac OS X 10.8.1.When I click on the dock icon, GC opens correctly.However, if I select an image file and click on Open With GC, a new GC icon sometimes (but not always) appears in the dock. If I click on the pinned icon, it opens another instance of GC. Both are GC 8.2 (924).I have no other version of GC on my main hard drive (~/user/applications). There is another one in a SuperDuper backup clone on another hard drive.I tried rebuilding the Launch Services Menu, but the problem persists.What's going on? I think this problem first appeared after I upgraded to Mountain Lion.Regards,Benoa�t Evans
David L. Wasley

Post by David L. Wasley »

MacOS can be very specific about the "Open With..." default for a given file.  It can include, in effect, the complete path sometimes which might explain opening the other copy of GC.  Resetting the default to the GC you want to use and then click on "use this for all similar files" David On Sep 23, 2012, at 8:05 AM, K. Benoit Evans wrote:   Hello Thorsten,Yes, there is GC clone on an external back-up disk. That seems to be the one that is opening. (I have no other copies or versions, except in Time Machine, on another external disk.)I have found that tiff files default to Preview (not GC). The problem seems to occur when I select a tiff file or a group of files that contain tiffs and other formats. Then, Open With does not show GC as the default but GC is instead in the apps list. When I click on GC in that list, it is the copy on the back-up disk that opens.After changing the default for tiff files to GC, the problem seems to have gone away. Regards,Benoa�t Evans On 2012-09-23, at 02:46, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:Hello,is there maybe a second version installed on your hard disk?ThorstenOn 23.09.2012, at 04:22, "K. Benoit Evans" <kevans@videotron.ca> wrote:I have GC 8.2 (964) pinned to the Dock in Mac OS X 10.8.1.When I click on the dock icon, GC opens correctly.However, if I select an image file and click on Open With GC, a new GC icon sometimes (but not always) appears in the dock. If I click on the pinned icon, it opens another instance of GC. Both are GC 8.2 (924).I have no other version of GC on my main hard drive (~/user/applications). There is another one in a SuperDuper backup clone on another hard drive.I tried rebuilding the Launch Services Menu, but the problem persists.What's going on? I think this problem first appeared after I upgraded to Mountain Lion.Regards,Benoa�t Evans