Rotate/Crop

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
dknodel@swbell.net

Rotate/Crop

Post by dknodel@swbell.net »

Hmm how to explain I rotate an image (other value with lineŠ) There are unfilled regions after the rotation I use the eyedropper tool to pick up a color near one of the voids and use the bucket tool to fill The line between the rotated image and the fill is jagged/dotted. Is there a better way to do this or a way to make the transition from image to filled space smoother - without enlarging and going in with the stamp tool to tediously blur the edge? David
Don Sample

Re: Rotate/Crop

Post by Don Sample »

One thing you can do is set the background colour to the colour you want the filled in area to be, before doing the rotation. On 2012-10-26, at 8:54 PM, dknodel@swbell.net wrote: > Hmm how to explain > > I rotate an image (other value with lineŠ) > There are unfilled regions after the rotation > I use the eyedropper tool to pick up a color near one of the voids and use > the bucket tool to fill > The line between the rotated image and the fill is jagged/dotted. > Is there a better way to do this or a way to make the transition from > image to filled space smoother - without enlarging and going in with the > stamp tool to tediously blur the edge? > > David > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
dknodel@swbell.net

True. But all the unfilled voids aren't the same, depending on what part of the image they are adjacent to... So I use the eyedropper to pick up the color near the void and the bucket to fill - and the intersection between the fill and the image is a jagged/dotted line. If I want it to be a really smooth transition I can only think to enlarge and then use the stamp tool to blur the intersection; very tedious. On 10/26/12 8:58 PM, "Don Sample" <dsample@mac.com> wrote: >One thing you can do is set the background colour to the colour you want >the filled in area to be, before doing the rotation. > >On 2012-10-26, at 8:54 PM, dknodel@swbell.net wrote: > >> Hmm how to explain >> >> I rotate an image (other value with lineŠ) >> There are unfilled regions after the rotation >> I use the eyedropper tool to pick up a color near one of the voids and >>use >> the bucket tool to fill >> The line between the rotated image and the fill is jagged/dotted. >> Is there a better way to do this or a way to make the transition from >> image to filled space smoother - without enlarging and going in with the >> stamp tool to tediously blur the edge? >> >> David >> >> >> >> >> ------------------------------------ >> >> Yahoo! Groups Links >> >> >> > > > >------------------------------------ > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
Don Sample

Post by Don Sample »

I've been doing some experimenting, and the only way I can get jaggies at the edge of the selection is if I save the image, and then reload it, after doing the rotate (the jaggies come as a result of the lossiness of jpeg compression) Using a lossless file format, such as PNG, will not create jaggies. If you insist using JPG, (or other lossy file format) setting a higher tolerance for the fill tool may fix your problem. On 2012-10-26, at 10:41 PM, dknodel@swbell.net wrote: > True. But all the unfilled voids aren't the same, depending on what part > of the image they are adjacent to... > So I use the eyedropper to pick up the color near the void and the bucket > to fill - and the intersection between the fill and the image is a > jagged/dotted line. > If I want it to be a really smooth transition I can only think to enlarge > and then use the stamp tool to blur the intersection; very tedious. > > On 10/26/12 8:58 PM, "Don Sample" <dsample@mac.com> wrote: > >> One thing you can do is set the background colour to the colour you want >> the filled in area to be, before doing the rotation. >> >> On 2012-10-26, at 8:54 PM, dknodel@swbell.net wrote: >> >>> Hmm how to explain >>> >>> I rotate an image (other value with lineŠ) >>> There are unfilled regions after the rotation >>> I use the eyedropper tool to pick up a color near one of the voids and >>> use >>> the bucket tool to fill >>> The line between the rotated image and the fill is jagged/dotted. >>> Is there a better way to do this or a way to make the transition from >>> image to filled space smoother - without enlarging and going in with the >>> stamp tool to tediously blur the edge? >>> >>> David >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> ------------------------------------ >>> >>> Yahoo! Groups Links >>> >>> >>> >> >> >> >> ------------------------------------ >> >> Yahoo! Groups Links >> >> >> > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
dknodel@swbell.net

Ahh, the compression. Thanks. I am not wed to jpg, and file space is not an issue. Will try png; maybe experiment with higher tolerance with jpeg - are some persons/places I exchange files want jpeg. For those persons I copy files to a different folder so can 'save as' what they want (and keep track of what I've sent to whom). David On 10/26/12 9:55 PM, "Don Sample" <dsample@mac.com> wrote: >I've been doing some experimenting, and the only way I can get jaggies at >the edge of the selection is if I save the image, and then reload it, >after doing the rotate (the jaggies come as a result of the lossiness of >jpeg compression) Using a lossless file format, such as PNG, will not >create jaggies. > >If you insist using JPG, (or other lossy file format) setting a higher >tolerance for the fill tool may fix your problem. > > >On 2012-10-26, at 10:41 PM, dknodel@swbell.net wrote: > >> True. But all the unfilled voids aren't the same, depending on what >>part >> of the image they are adjacent to... >> So I use the eyedropper to pick up the color near the void and the >>bucket >> to fill - and the intersection between the fill and the image is a >> jagged/dotted line. >> If I want it to be a really smooth transition I can only think to >>enlarge >> and then use the stamp tool to blur the intersection; very tedious. >> >> On 10/26/12 8:58 PM, "Don Sample" <dsample@mac.com> wrote: >> >>> One thing you can do is set the background colour to the colour you >>>want >>> the filled in area to be, before doing the rotation. >>> >>> On 2012-10-26, at 8:54 PM, dknodel@swbell.net wrote: >>> >>>> Hmm how to explain >>>> >>>> I rotate an image (other value with lineŠ) >>>> There are unfilled regions after the rotation >>>> I use the eyedropper tool to pick up a color near one of the voids and >>>> use >>>> the bucket tool to fill >>>> The line between the rotated image and the fill is jagged/dotted. >>>> Is there a better way to do this or a way to make the transition from >>>> image to filled space smoother - without enlarging and going in with >>>>the >>>> stamp tool to tediously blur the edge? >>>> >>>> David >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> ------------------------------------ >>>> >>>> Yahoo! Groups Links >>>> >>>> >>>> >>> >>> >>> >>> ------------------------------------ >>> >>> Yahoo! Groups Links >>> >>> >>> >> >> >> >> >> ------------------------------------ >> >> Yahoo! Groups Links >> >> >> > > > >------------------------------------ > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello David,just use the fill tool with tolerance.Thorsten On 27.10.2012, at 02:54, dknodel@swbell.net wrote:   Hmm how to explain I rotate an image (other value with lineŠ) There are unfilled regions after the rotation I use the eyedropper tool to pick up a color near one of the voids and use the bucket tool to fill The line between the rotated image and the fill is jagged/dotted. Is there a better way to do this or a way to make the transition from image to filled space smoother - without enlarging and going in with the stamp tool to tediously blur the edge? David