Slideshow issue

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Ian Davies

Slideshow issue

Post by Ian Davies »

Hi,When using the slideshow, I've noticed a couple of issues related to the 'zoom' function:If you are zoomed in on an image and then advance to the next one, the current image briefly flicks back to normal magnification before moving on to the next image.Next time you zoom on an image in the same slideshow, there is a brief flash of the previous image that was zoomed in on (and at the magnification you were viewing it at), before then displaying the zoomed view of the current image.I've verified this on GC8.3 (1000) running on both a MacPro running 10.7.5 with ATI Radeo5870 and MacBookPro running 10.6.8 with Nvidia 9600M GTthanksIan
thorstenlemke

Re: Slideshow issue

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi Ian,many thanks.I will check it.Thorsten On 04.11.2012, at 23:34, Ian Davies <ian@acid-product.co.uk> wrote:   Hi,When using the slideshow, I've noticed a couple of issues related to the 'zoom' function:If you are zoomed in on an image and then advance to the next one, the current image briefly flicks back to normal magnification before moving on to the next image.Next time you zoom on an image in the same slideshow, there is a brief flash of the previous image that was zoomed in on (and at the magnification you were viewing it at), before then displaying the zoomed view of the current image.I've verified this on GC8.3 (1000) running on both a MacPro running 10.7.5 with ATI Radeo5870 and MacBookPro running 10.6.8 with Nvidia 9600M GTthanksIan
Ian Davies

Memory leak?

Post by Ian Davies »

Hi,I've been experiencing some sluggish performance with GC which had begun to also affect other running applications. After one particularly frustrating instance of GC slowing to a crawl whilst simply running a slideshow of JPGs, I happened to look in Activity Monitor and saw that GC was using over 9Gb of RAM (Real Mem) out of 20Gb total! Stopping the slideshow and letting GC just sit there doing nothing, it appeared that the memory was not being released either (I had assumed that maybe it was a temporary overhead and that it would be given up when no longer needed).To be a bit more scientific, I ran GC from a cold start and noted the memory usage at various points:On launch: 26.6MbAfter a slideshow of ~20 JPG images each less than 1024px in height or width: 170.3MbAfter running through the same slideshow as fast as possible (holding down space) for 5 full cycles: jumped to 945Mb but then immediately dropped down to 397.3Mb and held steadyRunning through a slideshow of ~150 high quality JPGs each >2000px high: 2.00GbRunning through the same slideshow as fast as possible (holding down space) for 5 full cycles: 7.01Gb(!) and by the 5th cycle the display speed of each image had dropped dramatically from 5-10 images per second to each image taking several seconds to display, and even getting a blank screen before the image finally appeared.Left GC running for nearly an hour afterwards and the memory usage showed no signs of dropping and still showed as 'active' in Activity Monitor.I use the slideshow function extensively to review, rate, sort and label lots of images, so after extended sessions I suspect GC's memory use was even higher, hence the impact it was having on other apps.Mac is 3.33GHz 6-Core Xeon 20Gb RAM running 10.7.5 with Radeon 5870GC is version 8.3.1 (1058)Any thoughts?thanksIanOn 4 Nov 2012, at 22:34, Ian Davies wrote: Hi,When using the slideshow, I've noticed a couple of issues related to the 'zoom' function:If you are zoomed in on an image and then advance to the next one, the current image briefly flicks back to normal magnification before moving on to the next image.Next time you zoom on an image in the same slideshow, there is a brief flash of the previous image that was zoomed in on (and at the magnification you were viewing it at), before then displaying the zoomed view of the current image.I've verified this on GC8.3 (1000) running on both a MacPro running 10.7.5 with ATI Radeo5870 and MacBookPro running 10.6.8 with Nvidia 9600M GTthanksIan
thorstenlemke

Re: Memory leak?

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi Ian,that is fixed with the latest BETA:http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.htmlThorsten On 30.11.2012, at 14:53, Ian Davies <ian@acid-product.co.uk> wrote:   Hi,I've been experiencing some sluggish performance with GC which had begun to also affect other running applications. After one particularly frustrating instance of GC slowing to a crawl whilst simply running a slideshow of JPGs, I happened to look in Activity Monitor and saw that GC was using over 9Gb of RAM (Real Mem) out of 20Gb total! Stopping the slideshow and letting GC just sit there doing nothing, it appeared that the memory was not being released either (I had assumed that maybe it was a temporary overhead and that it would be given up when no longer needed).To be a bit more scientific, I ran GC from a cold start and noted the memory usage at various points:On launch: 26.6MbAfter a slideshow of ~20 JPG images each less than 1024px in height or width: 170.3MbAfter running through the same slideshow as fast as possible (holding down space) for 5 full cycles: jumped to 945Mb but then immediately dropped down to 397.3Mb and held steadyRunning through a slideshow of ~150 high quality JPGs each >2000px high: 2.00GbRunning through the same slideshow as fast as possible (holding down space) for 5 full cycles: 7.01Gb(!) and by the 5th cycle the display speed of each image had dropped dramatically from 5-10 images per second to each image taking several seconds to display, and even getting a blank screen before the image finally appeared.Left GC running for nearly an hour afterwards and the memory usage showed no signs of dropping and still showed as 'active' in Activity Monitor.I use the slideshow function extensively to review, rate, sort and label lots of images, so after extended sessions I suspect GC's memory use was even higher, hence the impact it was having on other apps.Mac is 3.33GHz 6-Core Xeon 20Gb RAM running 10.7.5 with Radeon 5870GC is version 8.3.1 (1058)Any thoughts?thanksIan
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

Thordten,The Find/Replace is still broken with a 256 gray picture. Images attached. On Nov 30, 2012, at 8:33 AM, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:Hi Ian,that is fixed with the latest BETA:http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.htmlThorstenRobert Poland - Fort Collins, CO
Ian Davies

Post by Ian Davies »

Thanks, that seems to have improved things greatly!
Ian Davies

Post by Ian Davies »

I notice that while part 1 of this issue seems to be resolved, part 2 still happens; that is, next time you zoom on an image in the same slideshow, there is still a brief flash of the previous image.This is evident in the latest beta 8.5 (1074)thanksIanOn 4 Nov 2012, at 22:34, Ian Davies wrote: Hi,When using the slideshow, I've noticed a couple of issues related to the 'zoom' function:If you are zoomed in on an image and then advance to the next one, the current image briefly flicks back to normal magnification before moving on to the next image.Next time you zoom on an image in the same slideshow, there is a brief flash of the previous image that was zoomed in on (and at the magnification you were viewing it at), before then displaying the zoomed view of the current image.I've verified this on GC8.3 (1000) running on both a MacPro running 10.7.5 with ATI Radeo5870 and MacBookPro running 10.6.8 with Nvidia 9600M GTthanksIan
Ian Davies

Post by Ian Davies »

Sorry, don't mean to nag, but this has gone without comment twice now, so I wanted to check whether:a) you'd seen it and noted it, in which case I'll shut up about it :) or,b) it had been missedthanksIanOn 1 Dec 2012, at 19:43, Ian Davies wrote: I notice that while part 1 of this issue seems to be resolved, part 2 still happens; that is, next time you zoom on an image in the same slideshow, there is still a brief flash of the previous image.This is evident in the latest beta 8.5 (1074)thanksIanOn 4 Nov 2012, at 22:34, Ian Davies wrote:Hi,When using the slideshow, I've noticed a couple of issues related to the 'zoom' function:If you are zoomed in on an image and then advance to the next one, the current image briefly flicks back to normal magnification before moving on to the next image.Next time you zoom on an image in the same slideshow, there is a brief flash of the previous image that was zoomed in on (and at the magnification you were viewing it at), before then displaying the zoomed view of the current image.I've verified this on GC8.3 (1000) running on both a MacPro running 10.7.5 with ATI Radeo5870 and MacBookPro running 10.6.8 with Nvidia 9600M GTthanksIan
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi Ian,that is still on the list for checking.ThorstenOn 06.12.2012, at 13:48, Ian Davies <ian@acid-product.co.uk> wrote: Sorry, don't mean to nag, but this has gone without comment twice now, so I wanted to check whether:a) you'd seen it and noted it, in which case I'll shut up about it :) or,b) it had been missedthanksIan
Ian Davies

Post by Ian Davies »

Many thanks Thorsten, I'll take option a) and shut up about it :)