Feature request: Rename files using EXIF data

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
csterndk0862

Post by csterndk0862 »

Hi, I would like to suggest a feature for renaming image files using EXIF data. Sometimes I have some images which are mixed up for some reason, perhaps because they are of different origin (e.g. taken with different cameras at a singe event). When these images are browsed, they do not come in the correct order and that can be confusing. I suggest a feature to batch rename all [selected] images using the EXIF data, making it easy to organize the images in sequence (if time/date data is used). It should also be possible to time-shift the date used so pictures from different cameras can be synchronized. I currently use ExifRenamer for this purpose: http://www.qdev.de/?location=mac/exifrenamer Example of use: For a birthday party three people are bringing their camera and take several photos during the day. From cam1 the image are named DCF-0342.jpg... etc, from cam2 IMG0156.jpg... and from cam3 IMG7856.jpg... The three cams are each having their own time, cam2 being 2 minutes off, cam3 being minus 1 hour off, compared to cam1. When mixing these images the three sets will be shown one set at a time when making a slide show. So, what I suggest is a feature which uses the built-in EXIF data to rename the files e.g. to "Birthday-2012-12-15-17.23.55.jpg" if the picture was taken on Dec 15 2012 at 17:23:55 (5.23.55 p.m.) Since the clocks in the cameras are not set in sync, it should be possible to time-shift the timestamp in the new filename by a specified off set. Take a look at ExifRenamer - it does all of this and more (but it is sometimes a bit unstable, and it is a second work flow which just as well could be combined into one). Thanks Claus
csterndk0862

Post by csterndk0862 »

Hi, I would like to suggest a feature for renaming image files using EXIF data. Sometimes I have some images which are mixed up for some reason, perhaps because they are of different origin (e.g. taken with different cameras at a singe event). When these images are browsed, they do not come in the correct order and that can be confusing. I suggest a feature to batch rename all [selected] images using the EXIF data, making it easy to organize the images in sequence (if time/date data is used). It should also be possible to time-shift the date used so pictures from different cameras can be synchronized. I currently use ExifRenamer for this purpose: http://www.qdev.de/?location=mac/exifrenamer Example of use: For a birthday party three people are bringing their camera and take several photos during the day. From cam1 the image are named DCF-0342.jpg... etc, from cam2 IMG0156.jpg... and from cam3 IMG7856.jpg... The three cams are each having their own time, cam2 being 2 minutes off, cam3 being minus 1 hour off, compared to cam1. When mixing these images the three sets will be shown one set at a time when making a slide show. So, what I suggest is a feature which uses the built-in EXIF data to rename the files e.g. to "Birthday-2012-12-15-17.23.55.jpg" if the picture was taken on Dec 15 2012 at 17:23:55 (5.23.55 p.m.) Since the clocks in the cameras are not set in sync, it should be possible to time-shift the timestamp in the new filename by a specified off set. Take a look at ExifRenamer - it does all of this and more (but it is sometimes a bit unstable, and it is a second work flow which just as well could be combined into one). Thanks Claus
csterndk0862

Post by csterndk0862 »

csterndk0862

Re: Feature request: Rename files using EXIF data

Post by csterndk0862 »

Sorry - I could not delete the multiple posts... Claus
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi Claus,I am working currently onto a special app for this.  It can be used to sync the exif stamp of images from different sources.It will be released in about two weeks.Thorsten On 17.12.2012, at 14:19, "csterndk0862" <stage@sternberg.dk> wrote:   Hi, I would like to suggest a feature for renaming image files using EXIF data. Sometimes I have some images which are mixed up for some reason, perhaps because they are of different origin (e.g. taken with different cameras at a singe event). When these images are browsed, they do not come in the correct order and that can be confusing. I suggest a feature to batch rename all [selected] images using the EXIF data, making it easy to organize the images in sequence (if time/date data is used). It should also be possible to time-shift the date used so pictures from different cameras can be synchronized. I currently use ExifRenamer for this purpose: http://www.qdev.de/?location=mac/exifrenamer Example of use: For a birthday party three people are bringing their camera and take several photos during the day. From cam1 the image are named DCF-0342.jpg... etc, from cam2 IMG0156.jpg... and from cam3 IMG7856.jpg... The three cams are each having their own time, cam2 being 2 minutes off, cam3 being minus 1 hour off, compared to cam1. When mixing these images the three sets will be shown one set at a time when making a slide show. So, what I suggest is a feature which uses the built-in EXIF data to rename the files e.g. to "Birthday-2012-12-15-17.23.55.jpg" if the picture was taken on Dec 15 2012 at 17:23:55 (5.23.55 p.m.) Since the clocks in the cameras are not set in sync, it should be possible to time-shift the timestamp in the new filename by a specified off set. Take a look at ExifRenamer - it does all of this and more (but it is sometimes a bit unstable, and it is a second work flow which just as well could be combined into one). Thanks Claus
Chuck Boody

Post by Chuck Boody »

While you're at it allow your program to change the exif data.  I've lots of scanned images which end up with the scanned date.  I'd like to have the photo date instead.  Perhaps I haven't looked carefully for this in GC, but a bulk procedure to do it in some program would be very helpful.Chuck Boody On Dec 17, 2012, at 11:46 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hi Claus,I am working currently onto a special app for this.  It can be used to sync the exif stamp of images from different sources.It will be released in about two weeks.Thorsten On 17.12.2012, at 14:19, "csterndk0862" <stage@sternberg.dk> wrote:   Hi, I would like to suggest a feature for renaming image files using EXIF data. Sometimes I have some images which are mixed up for some reason, perhaps because they are of different origin (e.g. taken with different cameras at a singe event). When these images are browsed, they do not come in the correct order and that can be confusing. I suggest a feature to batch rename all [selected] images using the EXIF data, making it easy to organize the images in sequence (if time/date data is used). It should also be possible to time-shift the date used so pictures from different cameras can be synchronized. I currently use ExifRenamer for this purpose: http://www.qdev.de/?location=mac/exifrenamer Example of use: For a birthday party three people are bringing their camera and take several photos during the day. From cam1 the image are named DCF-0342.jpg... etc, from cam2 IMG0156.jpg... and from cam3 IMG7856.jpg... The three cams are each having their own time, cam2 being 2 minutes off, cam3 being minus 1 hour off, compared to cam1. When mixing these images the three sets will be shown one set at a time when making a slide show. So, what I suggest is a feature which uses the built-in EXIF data to rename the files e.g. to "Birthday-2012-12-15-17.23.55.jpg" if the picture was taken on Dec 15 2012 at 17:23:55 (5.23.55 p.m.) Since the clocks in the cameras are not set in sync, it should be possible to time-shift the timestamp in the new filename by a specified off set. Take a look at ExifRenamer - it does all of this and more (but it is sometimes a bit unstable, and it is a second work flow which just as well could be combined into one). Thanks Claus
wallywedel

Post by wallywedel »

If you are doing a separate app, I'd also like to be able to update IPTC metadata with EXIF metadata. I am all in favor of doing a separate app to be able to organize image metadata. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "csterndk0862" <stage@...> wrote: > > Hi, > > I would like to suggest a feature for renaming image files using EXIF data. > > Sometimes I have some images which are mixed up for some reason, perhaps because they are of different origin (e.g. taken with different cameras at a singe event). When these images are browsed, they do not come in the correct order and that can be confusing. > > I suggest a feature to batch rename all [selected] images using the EXIF data, making it easy to organize the images in sequence (if time/date data is used). > > It should also be possible to time-shift the date used so pictures from different cameras can be synchronized. > > I currently use ExifRenamer for this purpose: http://www.qdev.de/?location=mac/exifrenamer > > Example of use: For a birthday party three people are bringing their camera and take several photos during the day. From cam1 the image are named DCF-0342.jpg... etc, from cam2 IMG0156.jpg... and from cam3 IMG7856.jpg... The three cams are each having their own time, cam2 being 2 minutes off, cam3 being minus 1 hour off, compared to cam1. > > When mixing these images the three sets will be shown one set at a time when making a slide show. > > So, what I suggest is a feature which uses the built-in EXIF data to rename the files e.g. to > "Birthday-2012-12-15-17.23.55.jpg" if the picture was taken on Dec 15 2012 at 17:23:55 (5.23.55 p.m.) Since the clocks in the cameras are not set in sync, it should be possible to time-shift the timestamp in the new filename by a specified off set. > > Take a look at ExifRenamer - it does all of this and more (but it is sometimes a bit unstable, and it is a second work flow which just as well could be combined into one). > > Thanks > > Claus >
Marino Pascal

Post by Marino Pascal »

Everything that has been asked on this thread, GC already does. Just control-click on the selected images in Browser mode. - Rename based on EXIF (can be done but you have to find the hex code for each exif property) - Shift Exif Date - Change File date to Exif date - Copy Exif to data to IPTC See attached screenshots. Is it easy to use? That's a different story. GC doesn't need more features, it needs a useability makeover to make them useable. Marino
Marino Pascal

Post by Marino Pascal »

Attachments :ishot-764.jpgishot-763.jpgOoops! Forgot to attach screenshots. On 12/17/12 1:16 PM, Marino Pascal wrote: > Everything that has been asked on this thread, GC already does. .... > > See attached screenshots. Marino