8.5.1, Applescript and IPTC info

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
treeceg

8.5.1, Applescript and IPTC info

Post by treeceg »

I have an applescript that uses GC to edit IPTC info in image files. I've been using it for about 6 months now. Yesterday, while doing some maintenance, I upgraded my GC install from 8.2 to 8.5.1. I immediately started having trouble with the script, in that it had trouble processing files. It would crash GC. I reverted back to 8.2, and the issue went away. Because it is in a production environment, I couldn't really do a lot of testing. The one test I did, was to open a file that was crashing the script (with GC), and do a command-s save, to force it to rewrite the file. After doing that, the script was then able to process it. I will create a test environment to experiment more, but it seemed clear that something happened somewhere between 8..2 and 8.5.1, that affected GC's ability to work with IPTC info via applescript. I do not know yet, if it was a 'get file iptc' or a 'set file iptc' that was causing GC to crash, but I'm pretty sure it was one of those two instructions. It was not on every single image, but it was on a lot of them. The images in my workflow are .jpg files.
thorstenlemke

Re: 8.5.1, Applescript and IPTC info

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,hmm, curious. The both commands does now give and expect more items due the extended iptc support.But normally a get followed by a set should work without any change.Thorsten On 13.01.2013, at 18:21, "treeceg" <photo@4miledesign.com> wrote:   I have an applescript that uses GC to edit IPTC info in image files. I've been using it for about 6 months now. Yesterday, while doing some maintenance, I upgraded my GC install from 8.2 to 8.5.1. I immediately started having trouble with the script, in that it had trouble processing files. It would crash GC. I reverted back to 8.2, and the issue went away. Because it is in a production environment, I couldn't really do a lot of testing. The one test I did, was to open a file that was crashing the script (with GC), and do a command-s save, to force it to rewrite the file. After doing that, the script was then able to process it. I will create a test environment to experiment more, but it seemed clear that something happened somewhere between 8..2 and 8.5.1, that affected GC's ability to work with IPTC info via applescript. I do not know yet, if it was a 'get file iptc' or a 'set file iptc' that was causing GC to crash, but I'm pretty sure it was one of those two instructions. It was not on every single image, but it was on a lot of them. The images in my workflow are .jpg files.