PNG Color Changing On Save/Open

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Bob Ryan

PNG Color Changing On Save/Open

Post by Bob Ryan »

I've searched through the messages but could find anything on this problem. Here is how I can reproduce it. I am running 8.5.1 on 10.6.8. 1. Create a new file (I made mine 32x32 though size does not seem to matter) that is True Color (32 bit), not transparent. 2. Save the file as a PNG. 3. Set the color using the sliders to yellow, 255.255.0. 4. Use the "paint can" to fill the image. 5. Save the image. 6. Close the file. 7. Reopen the file. 8. Check the color of the image with the eyedropper. After repeating steps 3 through 8 a few times (make sure to do the fill), the blue portion of the color will have changed from 0 to some other value (usually 11 or 0x0b) when checked. Has this been reported by anyone else? Does not seem to do it with BMP so I will change formats and start over. I wasted at least half a day working on images for an embedded project that will now need to be redone because that exact value of yellow is used for the transparent color.
thorstenlemke

Re: PNG Color Changing On Save/Open

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,hmm, I have no other such report. Did you embed a color profile? That can cause changes in the display. Did you check the color with the GraphicConverter color picker? Or did you use the system picker?Thorsten On 25.01.2013, at 17:40, "Bob Ryan" <atemybuick@yahoo.com> wrote:   I've searched through the messages but could find anything on this problem. Here is how I can reproduce it. I am running 8.5.1 on 10.6.8. 1. Create a new file (I made mine 32x32 though size does not seem to matter) that is True Color (32 bit), not transparent. 2. Save the file as a PNG. 3. Set the color using the sliders to yellow, 255.255.0. 4. Use the "paint can" to fill the image. 5. Save the image. 6. Close the file. 7. Reopen the file. 8. Check the color of the image with the eyedropper. After repeating steps 3 through 8 a few times (make sure to do the fill), the blue portion of the color will have changed from 0 to some other value (usually 11 or 0x0b) when checked. Has this been reported by anyone else? Does not seem to do it with BMP so I will change formats and start over. I wasted at least half a day working on images for an embedded project that will now need to be redone because that exact value of yellow is used for the transparent color.
Bob Ryan

Post by Bob Ryan »

Thorsten, I have "Merge color profile..." checked in the Save dialog (along with "Set Format from Extension" and "Save all pages..."). For the PNG options I Interlaced and Filter are "None" and "Store software name", "Store XMP" and "Store ICC profile" are checked. I am using the GC color picker (with the eyedropper tool) to check the color after opening the file. Bob --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > > Hello, > > hmm, I have no other such report. Did you embed a color profile? That can cause changes in the display. Did you check the color with the GraphicConverter color picker? Or did you use the system picker? > > Thorsten > > > On 25.01.2013, at 17:40, "Bob Ryan" wrote: > > > I've searched through the messages but could find anything on this problem. Here is how I can reproduce it. I am running 8.5.1 on 10.6.8. > > > > 1. Create a new file (I made mine 32x32 though size does not seem to matter) that is True Color (32 bit), not transparent. > > > > 2. Save the file as a PNG. > > > > 3. Set the color using the sliders to yellow, 255.255.0. > > > > 4. Use the "paint can" to fill the image. > > > > 5. Save the image. > > > > 6. Close the file. > > > > 7. Reopen the file. > > > > 8. Check the color of the image with the eyedropper. > > > > After repeating steps 3 through 8 a few times (make sure to do the fill), the blue portion of the color will have changed from 0 to some other value (usually 11 or 0x0b) when checked. > > > > Has this been reported by anyone else? Does not seem to do it with BMP so I will change formats and start over. I wasted at least half a day working on images for an embedded project that will now need to be redone because that exact value of yellow is used for the transparent color. > > > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,agh - uncheck this.That is only for very special purposes.It does match the colors upon save with the color profile.Thorsten On 25.01.2013, at 18:16, "Bob Ryan" <atemybuick@yahoo.com> wrote:   Thorsten, I have "Merge color profile..." checked in the Save dialog (along with "Set Format from Extension" and "Save all pages..."). For the PNG options I Interlaced and Filter are "None" and "Store software name", "Store XMP" and "Store ICC profile" are checked. I am using the GC color picker (with the eyedropper tool) to check the color after opening the file. Bob --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > > Hello, > > hmm, I have no other such report. Did you embed a color profile? That can cause changes in the display. Did you check the color with the GraphicConverter color picker? Or did you use the system picker? > > Thorsten > > 
Bob Ryan

Post by Bob Ryan »

Thorsten, Yes, turning off "Merge color profile" seems to have solved the problem. Not sure why or how long it has been on. Thanks for the support. Bob --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > > Hello, > > agh - uncheck this. > > That is only for very special purposes. > > It does match the colors upon save with the color profile. > > Thorsten > > > On 25.01.2013, at 18:16, "Bob Ryan" wrote: > > > Thorsten, > > I have "Merge color profile..." checked in the Save dialog (along with "Set Format from Extension" and "Save all pages..."). For the PNG options I Interlaced and Filter are "None" and "Store software name", "Store XMP" and "Store ICC profile" are checked. > > > > I am using the GC color picker (with the eyedropper tool) to check the color after opening the file. > > Bob > > > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > > > > > > Hello, > > > > > > hmm, I have no other such report. Did you embed a color profile? That can cause changes in the display. Did you check the color with the GraphicConverter color picker? Or did you use the system picker? > > > > > > Thorsten > > > > > > >