Converting pict to jpeg

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Steve Englehart

Converting pict to jpeg

Post by Steve Englehart »

Hi - I searched for a similar question but didn't find one, so: I have a bunch of _old_ picts that I created in like 1992. I tried converting them to jpegs, and the first dozen or so went just fine - but then, every one after that either came up with an alert saying "GC doesn't understand this," or an all-black result, or an almost all-black result with random color dots. The thing is, there's no obvious difference between these picts, so it _seems_ as if GC lost the ability to process them after a while. I've tried rebooting to set up a fresh system for GC, but that didn't help. I tried turning off the color profile as suggested in the Help. Is there some limitation in GC that I don't know about, or a possible memory leak, or…? I'm on a mid-2010 MacBookPro running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and GC 8.5.1. Thanks!
thorstenlemke

Re: Converting pict to jpeg

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello Steve,maybe the PICT files does use an old codec.So, please try to open them with GraphicConverter 7 (because that version does still use the old QuickDraw in the backend). If it works. Just convert the files.If not: please e-mail a zipped sample file.Thorsten On 29.01.2013, at 20:17, "Steve Englehart" <eharts@pacbell.net> wrote:   Hi - I searched for a similar question but didn't find one, so: I have a bunch of _old_ picts that I created in like 1992. I tried converting them to jpegs, and the first dozen or so went just fine - but then, every one after that either came up with an alert saying "GC doesn't understand this," or an all-black result, or an almost all-black result with random color dots. The thing is, there's no obvious difference between these picts, so it _seems_ as if GC lost the ability to process them after a while. I've tried rebooting to set up a fresh system for GC, but that didn't help. I tried turning off the color profile as suggested in the Help. Is there some limitation in GC that I don't know about, or a possible memory leak, or…? I'm on a mid-2010 MacBookPro running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and GC 8.5.1. Thanks!
Steve Englehart

Re: Converting pict to jpeg

Post by Steve Englehart »

I used v7 on the ones v8 couldn't handle, and _most_ of them converted fine. There were still five that came out as 3 pages each, where the first page was a very small version of the picture, and pages 2 and 3 were solid or mostly black. At this point, I'm willing to accept that they were made with very old technology and let it go, but if any of this makes you want to investigate further, just ask. If not, thanks for the help so far, and for GC. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > > Hello Steve, > > maybe the PICT files does use an old codec. > > So, please try to open them with GraphicConverter 7 (because that version does still use the old QuickDraw in the backend). If it works. Just convert the files. > > If not: please e-mail a zipped sample file. > > Thorsten > > > On 29.01.2013, at 20:17, "Steve Englehart" wrote: > > > Hi - > > > > I searched for a similar question but didn't find one, so: > > > > I have a bunch of _old_ picts that I created in like 1992. I tried converting them to jpegs, and the first dozen or so went just fine - > > > > but then, every one after that either came up with an alert saying "GC doesn't understand this," or an all-black result, or an almost all-black result with random color dots. The thing is, there's no obvious difference between these picts, so it _seems_ as if GC lost the ability to process them after a while. > > > > I've tried rebooting to set up a fresh system for GC, but that didn't help. I tried turning off the color profile as suggested in the Help. Is there some limitation in GC that I don't know about, or a possible memory leak, or…? > > > > I'm on a mid-2010 MacBookPro running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and GC 8.5.1. > > > > Thanks! > > > > >