Feature Request: Import pictures button and menu item

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Marino Pascal

Feature Request: Import pictures button and menu item

Post by Marino Pascal »

One of the top 3 priorities of an image browser is to *import pictures*. Yet GC has no import button or menu item. When I insert new media, a dialog comes up if I want to browse the images. If I dismiss the dialog with a 'Cancel' (like people often do when they think they are being nagged) there is no obvious way to import images again other than ejecting the media and reinserting it. "Oh but you could just select 'Devices' from the left pane of the Browser". Well... if have expanded folders on the left pane like I usually do (see screenshot) I can't even see 'Devices'. For a new user it's very easy to download GC, dismiss the browse images screen(doesn't even mention import), then spend the next 30 minutes trying to figure out how to import images and in the end trash the application in frustration. As someone who trains new users I've seen this again and again. GC6 used to have an "acquire images from connected camera" option buried in the File menu. This is gone completely now. I don't understand why importing images is such a low priority for GC. Marino Pascal
thorstenlemke

Re: Feature Request: Import pictures button and menu item

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello Marino,most users does import the images with a card reader by simple drag and drop. That this much faster than the very complex image capture interface.I added the function to the browser to make it more simple. Most found the import option confusing.I use myself a card reader for my digital camera. My iPhone image are automatically uploaded with dropbox. So, I can easily browse it later with the Browse Dropbox function.Thorsten On 11.02.2013, at 00:39, Marino Pascal <weblists@locationscout.com> wrote:   One of the top 3 priorities of an image browser is to *import pictures*. Yet GC has no import button or menu item. When I insert new media, a dialog comes up if I want to browse the images. If I dismiss the dialog with a 'Cancel' (like people often do when they think they are being nagged) there is no obvious way to import images again other than ejecting the media and reinserting it. "Oh but you could just select 'Devices' from the left pane of the Browser". Well... if have expanded folders on the left pane like I usually do (see screenshot) I can't even see 'Devices'. For a new user it's very easy to download GC, dismiss the browse images screen(doesn't even mention import), then spend the next 30 minutes trying to figure out how to import images and in the end trash the application in frustration. As someone who trains new users I've seen this again and again. GC6 used to have an "acquire images from connected camera" option buried in the File menu. This is gone completely now. I don't understand why importing images is such a low priority for GC. Marino Pascal
Marino Pascal

Post by Marino Pascal »

GraphicConverter can do a thousand obscure functions four different ways each but importing images is omitted because it's "too confusing"? As for what most users do... I have tutored over 100 people in image management, most of them on one to one setting and what they do is what Macs are setup at the factory to do. They connect a camera or a card reader to USB and then iPhoto sucks all their images. They come to me to help them get rid of iPhoto and their first question is now "how do I get my images to my computer". Drag and Drop is not desirable because then we have to add the step of correcting image orientation. Image orientation is automatically corrected if you import through a graphics program. And by "corrected" I mean displayed correctly even by programs that can't read orientation tags like web browsers. Marino On 2/11/13 3:44 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > > > Hello Marino, > > most users does import the images with a card reader by simple drag and drop. That this much faster than the very complex image capture interface. > > I added the function to the browser to make it more simple. Most found the import option confusing. > > I use myself a card reader for my digital camera. > My iPhone image are automatically uploaded with dropbox. So, I can easily browse it later with the Browse Dropbox function. > > Thorsten > > > On 11.02.2013, at 00:39, Marino Pascal <weblists@locationscout.com <mailto:weblists@locationscout.com>> wrote: > >> One of the top 3 priorities of an image browser is to *import pictures*. >> >> Yet GC has no import button or menu item. >> >> When I insert new media, a dialog comes up if I want to browse the images. If I dismiss the dialog with a 'Cancel' (like people often do when >> they think they are being nagged) there is no obvious way to import images again other than ejecting the media and reinserting it. >> >> "Oh but you could just select 'Devices' from the left pane of the Browser". >> Well... if have expanded folders on the left pane like I usually do (see screenshot) I can't even see 'Devices'. >> >> For a new user it's very easy to download GC, dismiss the browse images screen(doesn't even mention import), then spend the next 30 minutes >> trying to figure out how to import images and in the end trash the application in frustration. As someone who trains new users I've seen this >> again and again. >> >> GC6 used to have an "acquire images from connected camera" option buried in the File menu. This is gone completely now. >> I don't understand why importing images is such a low priority for GC. >> >> Marino Pascal >> > > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,maybe an additional menu function that invokes the browser window with the camera images?Thorsten .
Marino Pascal

Post by Marino Pascal »

Attachments :ishot-841.jpgAdding it to the menu would help. Also if the devices icon appeared *above* Macintosh HD in the browser's left pane that would help a lot. Attached is the screenshot I forgot to attach in the original post. It shows how the devices icon can hide under lots of folders. Also I think the Browser View should be the default view when opening GC. Just like iPhoto, Lightroom, ACDsee, any image management program. You start with seeing all your files, then you look for the specific files you are interested in, then you pick a task. ie Slideshow, Convert, whatever. Marino On 2/12/13 1:05 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > > > Hi, > > maybe an additional menu function that invokes the browser window with the camera images? > > Thorsten >> . >
Robert Poland

Re: Feature Request: Import pictures button and menu item [1 Attachm

Post by Robert Poland »

On Feb 12, 2013, at 2:27 PM, Marino Pascal <weblists@locationscout.com> wrote: > Adding it to the menu would help. > Also if the devices icon appeared *above* Macintosh HD in the browser's left pane that would help a lot. > Attached is the screenshot I forgot to attach in the original post. It shows how the devices icon can hide under lots of folders. > > Also I think the Browser View should be the default view when opening GC. > Just like iPhoto, Lightroom, ACDsee, any image management program. > You start with seeing all your files, then you look for the specific files you are interested in, then you pick a task. > ie Slideshow, Convert, whatever. > > Marino > > > On 2/12/13 1:05 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote: >> >> >> Hi, >> >> maybe an additional menu function that invokes the browser window with the camera images? >> >> Thorsten >>> Since I never use the Browser that, anything that opens without my request, would be a real pain for me. Maybe another preference could address it. Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO
Marino Pascal

Post by Marino Pascal »

Roland, what happens when you launch GC? If you doubleclick on an image and it opens in GC that would be perfectly fine. I'm not suggesting to take that away. I drag a folder of images to the GC icon and it opens the browser. That fine for me. But if you don't select a folder or a file to send to GC what happens when GC opens? By default you get a dialog box asking you to pick a task (convert, browse, slideshow etc) That's not Mac like to read a bunch of text. The Mac way is to open something visual and LOOK for your options not read them. In any case, I'm not talking about you or me. We've been using this program for years we know how to use it. I'm talking about new users who we need to keep this software alive. Marino On 2/12/13 1:33 PM, Robert Poland wrote: > Since I never use the Browser that, anything that opens without my request, would be a real pain for me. > > Maybe another preference could address it. > > > Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO >
dknodel@swbell.net

Post by dknodel@swbell.net »

Umm, how?  Inscrutable icons for "a task (convert, browse, slideshow etc)"?I guess I don't follow your thinking…DavidFrom: Marino Pascal <weblists@locationscout.com>Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 12:58 AMTo: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: Re: [gcmac] Feature Request: Import pictures button and menu item The Mac way is to open something visual and LOOK for your options not read them.
watcombeman

Post by watcombeman »

No, I really couldn't be doing with that. Normally the first thing I do when starting GC is to open the scanner, but I'd never think of asking for that to be the default option! What do you not like about the option of having the opening dialogue that enables you to go to the browser among the other options? John. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Marino Pascal wrote: > > Adding it to the menu would help. Snip... > Also I think the Browser View should be the default view when opening GC. >
Marino Pascal

Post by Marino Pascal »

For this conversation to be meaningful, please answer this: Quit GC, relaunch it. What do you see? On 2/13/13 3:32 AM, watcombeman wrote: > No, I really couldn't be doing with that. > > Normally the first thing I do when starting GC is to open the scanner, but I'd never think of asking for that to be the default option! > > What do you not like about the option of having the opening dialogue that enables you to go to the browser among the other options? > > John. > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Marino Pascal wrote: >> >> Adding it to the menu would help. > > Snip... > >> Also I think the Browser View should be the default view when opening GC. > >> > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > >