Find grayscale images in directory?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
larry_woodard

Find grayscale images in directory?

Post by larry_woodard »

Hi. I had a rather nasty disk crash a few weeks ago (I don't care what they tell you, TechTool Pro 6.0.6 is not compatible with OSX 10.8.x) and lost the directory structure on a 2TB disk. I was able to recover most of the files, but now they're all in a single directory. One thing I have not been able to figure out is how to do a Find to help sort the grayscale images from the rest. Any suggestions? thanks, Larry
Robert Poland

Re: Find grayscale images in directory?

Post by Robert Poland »

On Feb 11, 2013, at 2:50 PM, "larry_woodard" <lwoodard@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi. > > I had a rather nasty disk crash a few weeks ago (I don't care what they tell you, TechTool Pro 6.0.6 is not compatible with OSX 10.8.x) and lost the directory structure on a 2TB disk. I was able to recover most of the files, but now they're all in a single directory. > > One thing I have not been able to figure out is how to do a Find to help sort the grayscale images from the rest. Any suggestions? > > thanks, > Larry If you sort, in the finder, by size that should, at least, help. Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO
Frank H

Post by Frank H »

I too have had problems with the last couple versions of TTP, Larry.I keep hoping, having it save me many times in the past, but until then I've gone to the really great Drive Genius.  Thought I would suggest it here.Frank H. On Feb 11, 2013, at 1:50 PM, larry_woodard <lwoodard@gmail.com> wrote:   Hi. I had a rather nasty disk crash a few weeks ago (I don't care what they tell you, TechTool Pro 6.0.6 is not compatible with OSX 10.8.x) and lost the directory structure on a 2TB disk. I was able to recover most of the files, but now they're all in a single directory. One thing I have not been able to figure out is how to do a Find to help sort the grayscale images from the rest. Any suggestions? thanks, Larry
Kris Tilford

Post by Kris Tilford »

On Feb 12, 2013, at 11:58 AM, Frank H wrote: > I've had problems with the last couple versions of TT <TechTool Pro> > > I've gone to the really great Drive Genius. File repair Gold Standard = DiskWarrior <http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/>
Frank H

Post by Frank H »

Gotta say had problems with this too.  I would buy a DW upgrade, make a boot disk and it would not work.  I would contact them and they would respond that the base (original) program wasn't built for the upgrade.  I am sool, unless I buy a complete disk upgrade… or somt=ethkgk…. get the picture.  What they do is great.  Their biz is suck like grammer wrong.With Drive Genius, it JUST WORKS.  When you ask it (from the boot disk) to defragment files and consolidate the Hard drive, it asks permission to restart in a terminal mode.  I havent 'found' a missing bit of information yet, and I think I can safely say I have run more than 3 times. Not a lot, but fingures crossed it may have something- and why they freely claim to be used by Apple.Maybe a back room deal, I really hope not.  TT and DW worked really hard, and if apple is playing a MS game. FUCK those minds……...Disk Warrior, I am still pissed at them….ffrank H.On Feb 12, 2013, at 11:38 AM, Kris Tilford <ktilford@aol.com> wrote:   On Feb 12, 2013, at 11:58 AM, Frank H wrote: > I've had problems with the last couple versions of TT > > I've gone to the really great Drive Genius. File repair Gold Standard = DiskWarrior http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/>
Carl von Einem

Post by Carl von Einem »

Hi Larry, Robert Poland schrieb am 11.02.13 23:03: > > On Feb 11, 2013, at 2:50 PM, "larry_woodard" wrote: >> >> I was able to recover most of the files, but now they're all >> in a single directory. >> >> One thing I have not been able to figure out is how to do a >> Find to help sort the grayscale images from the rest. >> Any suggestions? > > If you sort, in the finder, by size that should, at least, help. I doubt that. In Finder a list of better search criteria is readily available. First, create a new folder for the grayscale images. Now just open a new Finder window with the folder that contains all these recovered image files. Type Cmd+F so that folder turns into a more sophisticated search window (other than the simplistic "search" mask in the toolbar) with - several tabs showing search locations (your recovered files folder should already be selected) - different search criteria as drop down lists. "Kind" -> "Any" and "Last Opened" -> "Any Date" Click in "Kind", select "Other.." and from the list of available search attributes choose "Color Space" (and mark "Add to Favorites"). -> OK Now the "Color Space" attribute can be reduced to select only "Grayscale". Just wait until the search (or better: filtering) is finished, select all files and drag those to the other folder... Cheers, Carl
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

On Feb 13, 2013, at 1:04 AM, Carl von Einem <einem@gmx.de> wrote: > Hi Larry, > > Robert Poland schrieb am 11.02.13 23:03: >> >> On Feb 11, 2013, at 2:50 PM, "larry_woodard" wrote: >>> >>> I was able to recover most of the files, but now they're all >>> in a single directory. >>> >>> One thing I have not been able to figure out is how to do a >>> Find to help sort the grayscale images from the rest. >>> Any suggestions? >> >> If you sort, in the finder, by size that should, at least, help. > > I doubt that. Did you try it? On my machine the gray scale pictures are usually less than half the size of the color pictures. In the list view in the finder, sorted by size, the gray scale pictures should be gathered together at one end. In the Finder select a picture and press the Space bar for a quick view. Pressing the up (or down) arrow will step through the pictures for a quick view. > In Finder a list of better search criteria is readily available. > > First, create a new folder for the grayscale images. > > Now just open a new Finder window with the folder that contains all > these recovered image files. Type Cmd+F so that folder turns into a more > sophisticated search window (other than the simplistic "search" mask in > the toolbar) with > > - several tabs showing search locations (your recovered files folder > should already be selected) > > - different search criteria as drop down lists. "Kind" -> "Any" and > "Last Opened" -> "Any Date" > > Click in "Kind", select "Other.." and from the list of available search > attributes choose "Color Space" (and mark "Add to Favorites"). -> OK > > Now the "Color Space" attribute can be reduced to select only "Grayscale". > > Just wait until the search (or better: filtering) is finished, select > all files and drag those to the other folder... > > Cheers, > Carl Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO
Carl von Einem

Post by Carl von Einem »

Robert, I think Larry didn't want to sort out a couple of bw images from a bunch of files. Sorry, your approach seems time consuming to me. In less than 10 seconds I just found the 7 grayscale files that are larger than 10 MB. From my images folder containing 35 GB of data. Now in less than 5 seconds I also found the 4.761 RGB images in the same folder that are lower in size. And 347 RGB files > 10 MB. So now I think your approach wouldn't work at all. Cheers, Carl Robert Poland schrieb am 13.02.13 15:11: > > On Feb 13, 2013, at 1:04 AM, Carl von Einem<einem@gmx.de> wrote: > >> Hi Larry, >> >> Robert Poland schrieb am 11.02.13 23:03: >>> >>> On Feb 11, 2013, at 2:50 PM, "larry_woodard" wrote: >>>> >>>> I was able to recover most of the files, but now they're all >>>> in a single directory. >>>> >>>> One thing I have not been able to figure out is how to do a >>>> Find to help sort the grayscale images from the rest. >>>> Any suggestions? >>> >>> If you sort, in the finder, by size that should, at least, help. >> >> I doubt that. > > Did you try it? > > On my machine the gray scale pictures are usually less than half the size of the color pictures. > > In the list view in the finder, sorted by size, the gray scale pictures should be gathered together at one end. > > In the Finder select a picture and press the Space bar for a quick view. Pressing the up (or down) arrow will step through the pictures for a quick view. > >> In Finder a list of better search criteria is readily available. >> >> First, create a new folder for the grayscale images. >> >> Now just open a new Finder window with the folder that contains all >> these recovered image files. Type Cmd+F so that folder turns into a more >> sophisticated search window (other than the simplistic "search" mask in >> the toolbar) with >> >> - several tabs showing search locations (your recovered files folder >> should already be selected) >> >> - different search criteria as drop down lists. "Kind" -> "Any" and >> "Last Opened" -> "Any Date" >> >> Click in "Kind", select "Other.." and from the list of available search >> attributes choose "Color Space" (and mark "Add to Favorites"). -> OK >> >> Now the "Color Space" attribute can be reduced to select only "Grayscale". >> >> Just wait until the search (or better: filtering) is finished, select >> all files and drag those to the other folder... >> >> Cheers, >> Carl > > Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO > > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > >
larry_woodard

Post by larry_woodard »

Carl, thank you very much, that was a big help, catching about half of the files. And Robert, thanks for the suggestion, but most of my grayscale images are very large and a sort by size wouldn't help much. I also tried several different sorting schemes in Icon view, but selecting the files was very time consuming. I was hoping to use GC for this function. The Finder search got some of the files, but missed the 16 and 24-bit ones. In these images, the color table is flat and I was hoping for a means to search based on this or similar criteria. Thanks again, Larry --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Carl von Einem wrote: > > Hi Larry, > > Robert Poland schrieb am 11.02.13 23:03: > > > > On Feb 11, 2013, at 2:50 PM, "larry_woodard" wrote: > >> > >> I was able to recover most of the files, but now they're all > >> in a single directory. > >> > >> One thing I have not been able to figure out is how to do a > >> Find to help sort the grayscale images from the rest. > >> Any suggestions? > > > > If you sort, in the finder, by size that should, at least, help. > > I doubt that. > > In Finder a list of better search criteria is readily available. > > First, create a new folder for the grayscale images. > > Now just open a new Finder window with the folder that contains all > these recovered image files. Type Cmd+F so that folder turns into a more > sophisticated search window (other than the simplistic "search" mask in > the toolbar) with > > - several tabs showing search locations (your recovered files folder > should already be selected) > > - different search criteria as drop down lists. "Kind" -> "Any" and > "Last Opened" -> "Any Date" > > Click in "Kind", select "Other.." and from the list of available search > attributes choose "Color Space" (and mark "Add to Favorites"). -> OK > > Now the "Color Space" attribute can be reduced to select only "Grayscale". > > Just wait until the search (or better: filtering) is finished, select > all files and drag those to the other folder... > > Cheers, > Carl >
Carl von Einem

Post by Carl von Einem »

Larry, ExifTool by Phil Harvey (which is already integrated in GC) is sometimes very useful for challenging tasks like this. It may seem not so Mac like to use a command line tool (i.e. it is run via Terminal.app) but it is very powerful. Download the current Mac OS X Package (.dmg) from <http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>, install, open Terminal, type 'exiftool' (just the word, without the quotes), followed by a blank, and then from Finder, drag one of these 16- or 24-bit files into that Terminal window. Now press the Enter or Return key and see the broad amount of information exiftool finds about this file. One or a combination of these information snippets can be used to process all the files in a folder structure, e.g. sort files in new folders or add keywords to the file name. Maybe there is also a way to add some special information to the file comments, which can be sorted in Finder. Just check the FAQ on Phil's site. I'm sure someone here will also be able to help with the right syntax. Cheers, Carl larry_woodard schrieb am 13.02.13 19:37: > Carl, thank you very much, that was a big help, catching about half of the files. > > And Robert, thanks for the suggestion, but most of my grayscale images are very large and a sort by size wouldn't help much. I also tried several different sorting schemes in Icon view, but selecting the files was very time consuming. > > I was hoping to use GC for this function. The Finder search got some of the files, but missed the 16 and 24-bit ones. In these images, the color table is flat and I was hoping for a means to search based on this or similar criteria. > > Thanks again, > Larry > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Carl von Einem wrote: >> >> Hi Larry, >> >> Robert Poland schrieb am 11.02.13 23:03: >>> >>> On Feb 11, 2013, at 2:50 PM, "larry_woodard" wrote: >>>> >>>> I was able to recover most of the files, but now they're all >>>> in a single directory. >>>> >>>> One thing I have not been able to figure out is how to do a >>>> Find to help sort the grayscale images from the rest. >>>> Any suggestions? >>> >>> If you sort, in the finder, by size that should, at least, help. >> >> I doubt that. >> >> In Finder a list of better search criteria is readily available. >> >> First, create a new folder for the grayscale images. >> >> Now just open a new Finder window with the folder that contains all >> these recovered image files. Type Cmd+F so that folder turns into a more >> sophisticated search window (other than the simplistic "search" mask in >> the toolbar) with >> >> - several tabs showing search locations (your recovered files folder >> should already be selected) >> >> - different search criteria as drop down lists. "Kind" -> "Any" and >> "Last Opened" -> "Any Date" >> >> Click in "Kind", select "Other.." and from the list of available search >> attributes choose "Color Space" (and mark "Add to Favorites"). -> OK >> >> Now the "Color Space" attribute can be reduced to select only "Grayscale". >> >> Just wait until the search (or better: filtering) is finished, select >> all files and drag those to the other folder... >> >> Cheers, >> Carl >> > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > >