Sudden loss of 'privilages'

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Frank3vh

Sudden loss of 'privilages'

Post by Frank3vh »

Hello, I had a few folders of images on my desktop I got around to editing. I noticed I could only delete on at a time in GC. So I went to the finder and tried to delete them there, and found the finder demanding a system password for each effort. I had this problem months ago with pages documents, but the technique of allowing privilages to the folders and contents does not seem to work. I moved the folders off the desktop to another folder on the HD, but the problem persists. Anyone have a solution, or the same experience? Thanks Frank H.
thorstenlemke

Re: Sudden loss of 'privilages'

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello Frank,did you try to verify the permissions with the Apple Disk Tool?Thorsten On 24.02.2013, at 02:20, "frank3vh" <netwkfh@gmail.com> wrote:   Hello, I had a few folders of images on my desktop I got around to editing. I noticed I could only delete on at a time in GC. So I went to the finder and tried to delete them there, and found the finder demanding a system password for each effort. I had this problem months ago with pages documents, but the technique of allowing privilages to the folders and contents does not seem to work. I moved the folders off the desktop to another folder on the HD, but the problem persists. Anyone have a solution, or the same experience? Thanks Frank H.
netwkfh@gmail.com

Post by netwkfh@gmail.com »

Thorsten,Thanks so much for your reply.If you are referring to Apples Disk Utility, yes I have.As this seems to be universal (not just the photo images), I do not fault GC.But let me tell you I am pissed.It was hard enough figuring out how to own what I owned as far a F*ckg doc, during one OS change.  Now this.What has me really worried is that this has nothing to do with a 'upgrade' in the OS.  The fact that it is all of a sudden… No one else has this problem?  A yes or no might make a lot of work (research) little.   Thanks everyone…f On Feb 24, 2013, at 2:11 AM, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:   Hello Frank,did you try to verify the permissions with the Apple Disk Tool?ThorstenOn 24.02.2013, at 02:20, "frank3vh" <netwkfh@gmail.com> wrote:   Hello, I had a few folders of images on my desktop I got around to editing. I noticed I could only delete on at a time in GC. So I went to the finder and tried to delete them there, and found the finder demanding a system password for each effort. I had this problem months ago with pages documents, but the technique of allowing privilages to the folders and contents does not seem to work. I moved the folders off the desktop to another folder on the HD, but the problem persists. Anyone have a solution, or the same experience? Thanks Frank H.
Norm Siler

Post by Norm Siler »

Because it's not strictly a Graphic Converter problem, maybe it's related to specific "Privileges" settings. I checked at Apple discussions with the search phrase "set privileges" and that brought up a useful dialogue about how to change Privileges for a particular OS X installation. Hope this helps as a starting point. BTW, I never changed any of my Privileges settings, so cannot give any direct experience related to your problem NS --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "netwkfh@..." <netwkfh@...> wrote: > > Thorsten, > > Thanks so much for your reply. > If you are referring to Apples Disk Utility, yes I have. > > As this seems to be universal (not just the photo images), I do not fault GC. > > But let me tell you I am pissed. > > It was hard enough figuring out how to own what I owned as far a F*ckg doc, during one OS change. Now this. > > What has me really worried is that this has nothing to do with a 'upgrade' in the OS. The fact that it is all of a sudden… > No one else has this problem? A yes or no might make a lot of work (research) little. Thanks everyone� > > f > > On Feb 24, 2013, at 2:11 AM, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > > Hello Frank, > > > > > > did you try to verify the permissions with the Apple Disk Tool? > > > > Thorsten > > > > On 24.02.2013, at 02:20, "frank3vh" <netwkfh@...> wrote: > > > >> > >> Hello, > >> I had a few folders of images on my desktop I got around to editing. I noticed I could only delete on at a time in GC. So I went to the finder and tried to delete them there, and found the finder demanding a system password for each effort. > >> > >> I had this problem months ago with pages documents, but the technique of allowing privilages to the folders and contents does not seem to work. I moved the folders off the desktop to another folder on the HD, but the problem persists. > >> > >> Anyone have a solution, or the same experience? > >> > >> Thanks > >> > >> Frank H. > >> > > > > > > >
Gary Estler

Post by Gary Estler »

Hi, Frank,If you running Mountain Lion, try crating a new folder in your documents folder. Open that folder in the Finder and then drag your photos from the desktop to that folder. Then "Select ALl" in that folder, right click on them and select "move To Trash."From: "netwkfh@gmail.com" <netwkfh@gmail.com>Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:40 AMTo: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: Re: [gcmac] Sudden loss of 'privilages'  Thorsten,Thanks so much for your reply.If you are referring to Apples Disk Utility, yes I have.As this seems to be universal (not just the photo images), I do not fault GC.But let me tell you I am pissed.It was hard enough figuring out how to own what I owned as far a F*ckg doc, during one OS change.  Now this.What has me really worried is that this has nothing to do with a 'upgrade' in the OS.  The fact that it is all of a sudden… No one else has this problem?  A yes or no might make a lot of work (research) little.   Thanks everyone…fOn Feb 24, 2013, at 2:11 AM, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:   Hello Frank,did you try to verify the permissions with the Apple Disk Tool?ThorstenOn 24.02.2013, at 02:20, "frank3vh" <netwkfh@gmail.com> wrote:  Hello, I had a few folders of images on my desktop I got around to editing. I noticed I could only delete on at a time in GC. So I went to the finder and tried to delete them there, and found the finder demanding a system password for each effort. I had this problem months ago with pages documents, but the technique of allowing privilages to the folders and contents does not seem to work. I moved the folders off the desktop to another folder on the HD, but the problem persists. Anyone have a solution, or the same experience? Thanks Frank H.
Ermanno Polli

Post by Ermanno Polli »

On 24/02/13 11:40, netwkfh@gmail.com wrote: > Thorsten, > > > Thanks so much for your reply. > If you are referring to Apples Disk Utility, yes I have. > > As this seems to be universal (not just the photo images), I do not > fault GC. > > But let me tell you I am pissed. > > It was hard enough figuring out how to own what I owned as far a F*ckg > doc, during one OS change. Now this. > > What has me really worried is that this has nothing to do with a > 'upgrade' in the OS. The fact that it is all of a sudden… > No one else has this problem? A yes or no might make a lot of work > (research) little. Thanks everyone… > > f > > On Feb 24, 2013, at 2:11 AM, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de > <mailto:lemke@lemkesoft.de>> wrote: > >> Hello Frank, >> >> >> did you try to verify the permissions with the Apple Disk Tool? >> >> Thorsten >> >> On 24.02.2013, at 02:20, "frank3vh" <netwkfh@gmail.com >> <mailto:netwkfh@gmail.com>> wrote: >> >>> Hello, >>> I had a few folders of images on my desktop I got around to editing. >>> I noticed I could only delete on at a time in GC. So I went to the >>> finder and tried to delete them there, and found the finder demanding >>> a system password for each effort. >>> >>> I had this problem months ago with pages documents, but the technique >>> of allowing privilages to the folders and contents does not seem to >>> work. I moved the folders off the desktop to another folder on the >>> HD, but the problem persists. >>> >>> Anyone have a solution, or the same experience? Well, my experience says "no", no same experience. Moreover, I use privileges to "protect" precious files (i.e: photos) from my goofing, setting them to read-only for me, my groups and (of course) from everyone. I switch to read-write (for me only) when I have to modify them. Then... read-only again. Anyway, I know that copying a file from on account to another leave the privileges intact. That is the original file owner's. >>> >>> Thanks >>> >>> Frank H. >>> >> Hope it helps. Ciao, Ermanno > >
Michael Temkin

Post by Michael Temkin »

Did your account lose the checkmark in "Users & Groups" for "Allow user to administer this computer"?  What are the privileges and ownership (user and group) on the files?  Use Terminal to verify this.Mike. On Feb 24, 2013, at 5:55 AM, Norm Siler <normsiler@yahoo.com> wrote:   Because it's not strictly a Graphic Converter problem, maybe it's related to specific "Privileges" settings. I checked at Apple discussions with the search phrase "set privileges" and that brought up a useful dialogue about how to change Privileges for a particular OS X installation. Hope this helps as a starting point. BTW, I never changed any of my Privileges settings, so cannot give any direct experience related to your problem NS --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "netwkfh@..." wrote: > > Thorsten, > > Thanks so much for your reply. > If you are referring to Apples Disk Utility, yes I have. > > As this seems to be universal (not just the photo images), I do not fault GC. > > But let me tell you I am pissed. > > It was hard enough figuring out how to own what I owned as far a F*ckg doc, during one OS change. Now this. > > What has me really worried is that this has nothing to do with a 'upgrade' in the OS. The fact that it is all of a sudden… > No one else has this problem? A yes or no might make a lot of work (research) little. Thanks everyone… > > f > > On Feb 24, 2013, at 2:11 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > > > Hello Frank, > > > > > > did you try to verify the permissions with the Apple Disk Tool? > > > > Thorsten > > > > On 24.02.2013, at 02:20, "frank3vh" wrote: > > > >> > >> Hello, > >> I had a few folders of images on my desktop I got around to editing. I noticed I could only delete on at a time in GC. So I went to the finder and tried to delete them there, and found the finder demanding a system password for each effort. > >> > >> I had this problem months ago with pages documents, but the technique of allowing privilages to the folders and contents does not seem to work. I moved the folders off the desktop to another folder on the HD, but the problem persists. > >> > >> Anyone have a solution, or the same experience? > >> > >> Thanks > >> > >> Frank H. > >> > > > > > > >
netwkfh@gmail.com

Post by netwkfh@gmail.com »

Hello,I finally got this fixed, but I am unsure how or why the change took place in the first place.  BTW, sorry for the emotional postings.I opened the 'user' account in info and added administrator to the privileges and applied to enclosed items.  BANG! a whole bunch of stuff appeared in the trash (things I had deleted) and all the desktop / file performances returned to normal.  I had tried this on other levels but nothing changed until the 'username' envelope was appended.   Thanks everyone, and again, sorry.frank H. On Feb 24, 2013, at 7:06 AM, Michael Temkin <michael.temkin@att.net> wrote:   Did your account lose the checkmark in "Users & Groups" for "Allow user to administer this computer"?  What are the privileges and ownership (user and group) on the files?  Use Terminal to verify this.Mike.On Feb 24, 2013, at 5:55 AM, Norm Siler <normsiler@yahoo.com> wrote:   Because it's not strictly a Graphic Converter problem, maybe it's related to specific "Privileges" settings. I checked at Apple discussions with the search phrase "set privileges" and that brought up a useful dialogue about how to change Privileges for a particular OS X installation. Hope this helps as a starting point. BTW, I never changed any of my Privileges settings, so cannot give any direct experience related to your problem NS --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "netwkfh@..." wrote: > > Thorsten, > > Thanks so much for your reply. > If you are referring to Apples Disk Utility, yes I have. > > As this seems to be universal (not just the photo images), I do not fault GC. > > But let me tell you I am pissed. > > It was hard enough figuring out how to own what I owned as far a F*ckg doc, during one OS change. Now this. > > What has me really worried is that this has nothing to do with a 'upgrade' in the OS. The fact that it is all of a sudden… > No one else has this problem? A yes or no might make a lot of work (research) little. Thanks everyone… > > f > > On Feb 24, 2013, at 2:11 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > > > Hello Frank, > > > > > > did you try to verify the permissions with the Apple Disk Tool? > > > > Thorsten > > > > On 24.02.2013, at 02:20, "frank3vh" wrote: > > > >> > >> Hello, > >> I had a few folders of images on my desktop I got around to editing. I noticed I could only delete on at a time in GC. So I went to the finder and tried to delete them there, and found the finder demanding a system password for each effort. > >> > >> I had this problem months ago with pages documents, but the technique of allowing privilages to the folders and contents does not seem to work. I moved the folders off the desktop to another folder on the HD, but the problem persists. > >> > >> Anyone have a solution, or the same experience? > >> > >> Thanks > >> > >> Frank H. > >> > > > > > > >