Re: Sudden loss of 'privileges'

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Garth Fletcher

Post by Garth Fletcher »

I've encoutered a similar and recurring problem in which I'm suddenly not allowed to move files to or from a folder Does not seem to be associated with any particular application. This is occuring under Mac OSX 10.4.11 on a G4 Mac. I'm guessing that it may result from a transient drive error which persuades Finder to mark it as read only - but that is nothing more than an uninformed guess. Using Finder to check or set privilege settings does not clear the problem. However, relaunching Finder has always solved the problem. Holding Option down while mousing over Finder in the Dock gives me a "relaunch finder" option. One can also access that feature through Cmd-Opt-Esc which, for Finder only, provides a "Relaunch" rather than "Force Quit". If anyone has a better explanation I would love to hear it! -- Garth Fletcher
Carl von Einem

Post by Carl von Einem »

Apple's disk utility works better when run from the system installer DVD so it has full access to the internal HD. I have the habit to set up my "official" account not to have administration rights. As soon as more rights are needed the system asks for an administrator's pw. Works great (ok, some time ago Adobe installers were too stupid to run this way, I always had to switch to the admin account just to be able to check if updates were available). But if something really strange occurs (like all the stories I have read in this thread) I run applejack. Get it from http://applejack.sf.net/ Install it, start up your Mac in Single User Mode (which is explained on the website) and wait for the prompt. Type... applejack auto restart ...and hit the Enter key. Now watch applejack while it runs a lot of maintenance tools that are already built into OS X but are hidden from the casual user like you and me. Whenever I set up a Mac I make sure that this wonderful tool is installed. Carl Garth Fletcher schrieb am 24.02.13 18:05: > I've encoutered a similar and recurring problem in which > I'm suddenly not allowed to move files to or from a folder > Does not seem to be associated with any particular application. > > This is occuring under Mac OSX 10.4.11 on a G4 Mac. > > I'm guessing that it may result from a transient drive error > which persuades Finder to mark it as read only - but that > is nothing more than an uninformed guess. > > Using Finder to check or set privilege settings does not clear > the problem. > > However, relaunching Finder has always solved the problem. > > Holding Option down while mousing over Finder in the Dock gives > me a "relaunch finder" option. One can also access that feature > through Cmd-Opt-Esc which, for Finder only, provides a "Relaunch" > rather than "Force Quit". > > If anyone has a better explanation I would love to hear it!
Ermanno Polli

Post by Ermanno Polli »

On 24/02/13 19:06, Carl von Einem wrote: > Apple's disk utility works better when run from the system installer DVD > so it has full access to the internal HD. > > I have the habit to set up my "official" account not to have > administration rights. As soon as more rights are needed the system asks > for an administrator's pw. Works great (ok, some time ago Adobe > installers were too stupid to run this way, I always had to switch to > the admin account just to be able to check if updates were available). > > But if something really strange occurs (like all the stories I have read > in this thread) I run applejack. > Get it from http://applejack.sf.net/ > Install it, start up your Mac in Single User Mode (which is explained on > the website) and wait for the prompt. Type... > applejack auto restart > ...and hit the Enter key. Now watch applejack while it runs a lot of > maintenance tools that are already built into OS X but are hidden from > the casual user like you and me. Whenever I set up a Mac I make sure > that this wonderful tool is installed. I had a look at this utility. Trouble is, it's not supported anymore. Last supported OS X version is Snow Leopard. The author says that the recovery partition in the Lions takes care of all of this. I would add that this brings back the problem of messing with the terminal... Do you know if it works just the same? > > Carl Sorry Thorsten, but I fear that using it in a not supported environment will mess our Macs. Ciao, Ermanno > Garth Fletcher schrieb am 24.02.13 18:05: > > I've encoutered a similar and recurring problem in which > > I'm suddenly not allowed to move files to or from a folder > > Does not seem to be associated with any particular application. > > > > This is occuring under Mac OSX 10.4.11 on a G4 Mac. > > > > I'm guessing that it may result from a transient drive error > > which persuades Finder to mark it as read only - but that > > is nothing more than an uninformed guess. > > > > Using Finder to check or set privilege settings does not clear > > the problem. > > > > However, relaunching Finder has always solved the problem. > > > > Holding Option down while mousing over Finder in the Dock gives > > me a "relaunch finder" option. One can also access that feature > > through Cmd-Opt-Esc which, for Finder only, provides a "Relaunch" > > rather than "Force Quit". > > > > If anyone has a better explanation I would love to hear it! > >
Carl von Einem

Post by Carl von Einem »

I use it on 10.6 and earlier OS X versions, but thanks for the hint about 10.8, Ermanno. He claims a 10.7 compatible version is available, and I see a note about "Tinker Tool System" being a likewise tool. I know the basic Tinker Tools and like it a lot. It's a sad thing to read that Kristofer Widholm is giving up on applejack. His comment as a developer in <http://sourceforge.net/p/applejack/disc ... /e2bee929/> about Apple's direction related to third party software feeds my worries. If you don't like to explore terminal's strengths (O'Reilly usually has excellent books on this topic) you can also look at commercial products such as Disk Warrior. Carl Ermanno Polli schrieb am 25.02.13 09:54: > On 24/02/13 19:06, Carl von Einem wrote: >> Apple's disk utility works better when run from the system installer DVD >> so it has full access to the internal HD. >> >> I have the habit to set up my "official" account not to have >> administration rights. As soon as more rights are needed the system asks >> for an administrator's pw. Works great (ok, some time ago Adobe >> installers were too stupid to run this way, I always had to switch to >> the admin account just to be able to check if updates were available). >> >> But if something really strange occurs (like all the stories I have read >> in this thread) I run applejack. >> Get it from http://applejack.sf.net/ >> Install it, start up your Mac in Single User Mode (which is explained on >> the website) and wait for the prompt. Type... >> applejack auto restart >> ...and hit the Enter key. Now watch applejack while it runs a lot of >> maintenance tools that are already built into OS X but are hidden from >> the casual user like you and me. Whenever I set up a Mac I make sure >> that this wonderful tool is installed. > > I had a look at this utility. Trouble is, it's not supported anymore. > Last supported OS X version is Snow Leopard. > The author says that the recovery partition in the Lions takes care of > all of this. I would add that this brings back the problem of messing > with the terminal... > > Do you know if it works just the same? > >> >> Carl > > Sorry Thorsten, but I fear that using it in a not supported environment > will mess our Macs. > > Ciao, > Ermanno > >> Garth Fletcher schrieb am 24.02.13 18:05: >> > I've encoutered a similar and recurring problem in which >> > I'm suddenly not allowed to move files to or from a folder >> > Does not seem to be associated with any particular application. >> > >> > This is occuring under Mac OSX 10.4.11 on a G4 Mac. >> > >> > I'm guessing that it may result from a transient drive error >> > which persuades Finder to mark it as read only - but that >> > is nothing more than an uninformed guess. >> > >> > Using Finder to check or set privilege settings does not clear >> > the problem. >> > >> > However, relaunching Finder has always solved the problem. >> > >> > Holding Option down while mousing over Finder in the Dock gives >> > me a "relaunch finder" option. One can also access that feature >> > through Cmd-Opt-Esc which, for Finder only, provides a "Relaunch" >> > rather than "Force Quit". >> > >> > If anyone has a better explanation I would love to hear it! >> >> > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > >
Ermanno Polli

Post by Ermanno Polli »

On 25/02/13 11:39, Carl von Einem wrote: > I use it on 10.6 and earlier OS X versions, but thanks for the hint > about 10.8, Ermanno. He claims a 10.7 compatible version is available, > and I see a note about "Tinker Tool System" being a likewise tool. I > know the basic Tinker Tools and like it a lot. It's a sad thing to read > that Kristofer Widholm is giving up on applejack. His comment as a > developer in > <http://sourceforge.net/p/applejack/disc ... /e2bee929/> > about Apple's direction related to third party software feeds my worries. > > If you don't like to explore terminal's strengths (O'Reilly usually has > excellent books on this topic) you can also look at commercial products > such as Disk Warrior. Thanks, but I'm not scared about the Terminal. I've been a system manager since the middle '70. First with the VAX's VMS, then with the DEC version of Unix. Lastly, with Linux.. Now I'm a bit rusty: I've retired. :-) I already have purchased Disk Warrior. I'll have a look at Tinker Tool System... > > Carl Ciao, Ermanno > > Ermanno Polli schrieb am 25.02.13 09:54: >> On 24/02/13 19:06, Carl von Einem wrote: >>> Apple's disk utility works better when run from the system installer DVD >>> so it has full access to the internal HD. >>> >>> I have the habit to set up my "official" account not to have >>> administration rights. As soon as more rights are needed the system asks >>> for an administrator's pw. Works great (ok, some time ago Adobe >>> installers were too stupid to run this way, I always had to switch to >>> the admin account just to be able to check if updates were available). >>> >>> But if something really strange occurs (like all the stories I have read >>> in this thread) I run applejack. >>> Get it from http://applejack.sf.net/ >>> Install it, start up your Mac in Single User Mode (which is explained on >>> the website) and wait for the prompt. Type... >>> applejack auto restart >>> ...and hit the Enter key. Now watch applejack while it runs a lot of >>> maintenance tools that are already built into OS X but are hidden from >>> the casual user like you and me. Whenever I set up a Mac I make sure >>> that this wonderful tool is installed. >> >> I had a look at this utility. Trouble is, it's not supported anymore. >> Last supported OS X version is Snow Leopard. >> The author says that the recovery partition in the Lions takes care of >> all of this. I would add that this brings back the problem of messing >> with the terminal... >> >> Do you know if it works just the same? >> >>> >>> Carl >> >> Sorry Thorsten, but I fear that using it in a not supported environment >> will mess our Macs. >> >> Ciao, >> Ermanno >> >>> Garth Fletcher schrieb am 24.02.13 18:05: >>> > I've encoutered a similar and recurring problem in which >>> > I'm suddenly not allowed to move files to or from a folder >>> > Does not seem to be associated with any particular application. >>> > >>> > This is occuring under Mac OSX 10.4.11 on a G4 Mac. >>> > >>> > I'm guessing that it may result from a transient drive error >>> > which persuades Finder to mark it as read only - but that >>> > is nothing more than an uninformed guess. >>> > >>> > Using Finder to check or set privilege settings does not clear >>> > the problem. >>> > >>> > However, relaunching Finder has always solved the problem. >>> > >>> > Holding Option down while mousing over Finder in the Dock gives >>> > me a "relaunch finder" option. One can also access that feature >>> > through Cmd-Opt-Esc which, for Finder only, provides a "Relaunch" >>> > rather than "Force Quit". >>> > >>> > If anyone has a better explanation I would love to hear it! >>> >>> >> >> >> >> >> ------------------------------------ >> >> Yahoo! Groups Links >> >> >> >> > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > >
Bill Bedford

Post by Bill Bedford »

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:59:18 +0100, Ermanno Polli wrote: > > Thanks, but I'm not scared about the Terminal. I've been a system > manager since the middle '70. First with the VAX's VMS, then with the > DEC version of Unix. Lastly, with Linux.. > Now I'm a bit rusty: I've retired. :-) > > I already have purchased Disk Warrior. > > I'll have a look at Tinker Tool System... Tinkertool allows you to adjust various settings built in to the system. Onyx is similar but will also do various maintenance tasks. <http://www.titanium.free.fr> -- Bill Bedford "Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun" -- Clifford Geertz
Roberto Manuel Latorre

Post by Roberto Manuel Latorre »

Just remember, applejack doesn't work with OS X 10.7 and/or 10.8 anymore, but causes problems with them.  Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else. From: Carl von Einem <einem@gmx.de> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:06 PM Subject: Re: [gcmac] Re: Sudden loss of 'privileges'   Apple's disk utility works better when run from the system installer DVD so it has full access to the internal HD. I have the habit to set up my "official" account not to have administration rights. As soon as more rights are needed the system asks for an administrator's pw. Works great (ok, some time ago Adobe installers were too stupid to run this way, I always had to switch to the admin account just to be able to check if updates were available). But if something really strange occurs (like all the stories I have read in this thread) I run applejack. Get it from http://applejack.sf.net/ Install it, start up your Mac in Single User Mode (which is explained on the website) and wait for the prompt. Type... applejack auto restart ...and hit the Enter key. Now watch applejack while it runs a lot of maintenance tools that are already built into OS X but are hidden from the casual user like you and me. Whenever I set up a Mac I make sure that this wonderful tool is installed. Carl Garth Fletcher schrieb am 24.02.13 18:05: > I've encoutered a similar and recurring problem in which > I'm suddenly not allowed to move files to or from a folder > Does not seem to be associated with any particular application. > > This is occuring under Mac OSX 10.4.11 on a G4 Mac. > > I'm guessing that it may result from a transient drive error > which persuades Finder to mark it as read only - but that > is nothing more than an uninformed guess. > > Using Finder to check or set privilege settings does not clear > the problem. > > However, relaunching Finder has always solved the problem. > > Holding Option down while mousing over Finder in the Dock gives > me a "relaunch finder" option. One can also access that feature > through Cmd-Opt-Esc which, for Finder only, provides a "Relaunch" > rather than "Force Quit". > > If anyone has a better explanation I would love to hear it!
Dominick Frank Issi

Post by Dominick Frank Issi »

Newest, most used app is now Mountain Lion Cache Cleaner. You can setup a time for it to run itself on a scheduled basis. Works great and will do everything disk utility does ... and more!Dominick On Feb 25, 2013, at 6:57 PM, Roberto Manuel Latorre wrote:   Just remember, applejack doesn't work with OS X 10.7 and/or 10.8 anymore, but causes problems with them.  Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else. From: Carl von Einem <einem@gmx.de> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:06 PM Subject: Re: [gcmac] Re: Sudden loss of 'privileges'   Apple's disk utility works better when run from the system installer DVD so it has full access to the internal HD. I have the habit to set up my "official" account not to have administration rights. As soon as more rights are needed the system asks for an administrator's pw. Works great (ok, some time ago Adobe installers were too stupid to run this way, I always had to switch to the admin account just to be able to check if updates were available). But if something really strange occurs (like all the stories I have read in this thread) I run applejack. Get it from http://applejack.sf.net/ Install it, start up your Mac in Single User Mode (which is explained on the website) and wait for the prompt. Type... applejack auto restart ...and hit the Enter key. Now watch applejack while it runs a lot of maintenance tools that are already built into OS X but are hidden from the casual user like you and me. Whenever I set up a Mac I make sure that this wonderful tool is installed. Carl Garth Fletcher schrieb am 24.02.13 18:05: > I've encoutered a similar and recurring problem in which > I'm suddenly not allowed to move files to or from a folder > Does not seem to be associated with any particular application. > > This is occuring under Mac OSX 10.4.11 on a G4 Mac. > > I'm guessing that it may result from a transient drive error > which persuades Finder to mark it as read only - but that > is nothing more than an uninformed guess. > > Using Finder to check or set privilege settings does not clear > the problem. > > However, relaunching Finder has always solved the problem. > > Holding Option down while mousing over Finder in the Dock gives > me a "relaunch finder" option. One can also access that feature > through Cmd-Opt-Esc which, for Finder only, provides a "Relaunch" > rather than "Force Quit". > > If anyone has a better explanation I would love to hear it!
Norm Siler

Post by Norm Siler »

Onyx was already mentioned by another Graphic Converter user on this group. I also rely on it, and recommend it. It's up to date for current OS X 10.8. I also note this Yahoo Group deals primarily with GC issues, requests, and complaints. My Inbox has increased unnecessarily with ideas and recommendations about which disk maintenance app works best. Including this one by me. It's my last. Check MacUpdate.com or the App Store for further ratings of disk maintenance apps. NS --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "Dominick (Frank) Issi" <fissi@...> wrote: > > Newest, most used app is now Mountain Lion Cache Cleaner. You can setup a time for it to run itself on a scheduled basis. Works great and will do everything disk utility does ... and more! > > Dominick > > On Feb 25, 2013, at 6:57 PM, Roberto Manuel Latorre wrote: > > > > > Just remember, applejack doesn't work with OS X 10.7 and/or 10.8 anymore, but causes problems with them. > > > > > > Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else. > > > > From: Carl von Einem <einem@...> > > To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com > > Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:06 PM > > Subject: Re: [gcmac] Re: Sudden loss of 'privileges' > > > > > > Apple's disk utility works better when run from the system installer DVD so it has full access to the internal HD. > > > > I have the habit ... > > (edit out most of the posting) > > ...and hit the Enter key. Now watch applejack while it runs a lot of > > maintenance tools that are already built into OS X but are hidden from > > the casual user like you and me. Whenever I set up a Mac I make sure > > that this wonderful tool is installed. > > > > Carl > > > > Garth Fletcher schrieb am 24.02.13 18:05: > > > I've encoutered a similar and recurring problem in which > > > I'm suddenly not allowed to move files to or from a folder > > > Does not seem to be associated with any particular application. > > > > > > This is occuring under Mac OSX 10.4.11 on a G4 Mac. > > > > > > I'm guessing that it may result from a transient drive error > > > which persuades Finder to mark it as read only - but that > > > is nothing more than an uninformed guess. > > > > > > Using Finder to check or set privilege settings does not clear > > > the problem. > > > > > > However, relaunching Finder has always solved the problem. > > > > > > Holding Option down while mousing over Finder in the Dock gives > > > me a "relaunch finder" option. One can also access that feature > > > through Cmd-Opt-Esc which, for Finder only, provides a "Relaunch" > > > rather than "Force Quit". > > > > > > If anyone has a better explanation I would love to hear it! > > > > > > > > >