need to make transparent gifs.

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Brian Christmas

need to make transparent gifs.

Post by Brian Christmas »

G'day Thorsten I've got a dilemma. I'm trying to create a .gif animation with a transparent background, to use as an animated heading in an XCode project, from a .mov made with the 'make a slideshow movie'. I've tried to use .gif, and .png files, but the background was black. So, I tried to capture the grey of the Xcode window setting as the default background. Trouble is, it turns out to be partially transparent, and a darker grey surrounds my moving .gif, as the partially transparent grey .gif blends in with the grey of the window. Looks awful. Is there any way of either.. i. Turning off transparency from a captured color for the movie background. ii. Preferably, making the background for the .mov transparent. Or, anyone got any suggestions to make a .gif with transparent backgrounds, and using transitions like the slideshow does? Regards Santa
thorstenlemke

Re: need to make transparent gifs.

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,that is difficult. The Mov will use millions of colors. A gif only 256 colors. So, the dithering is already a problem.ThorstenAm 22.03.2013 um 11:49 schrieb Brian Christmas <ozsanta@gmail.com>:   G'day Thorsten I've got a dilemma. I'm trying to create a .gif animation with a transparent background, to use as an animated heading in an XCode project, from a .mov made with the 'make a slideshow movie'. I've tried to use .gif, and .png files, but the background was black. So, I tried to capture the grey of the Xcode window setting as the default background. Trouble is, it turns out to be partially transparent, and a darker grey surrounds my moving .gif, as the partially transparent grey .gif blends in with the grey of the window. Looks awful. Is there any way of either.. i. Turning off transparency from a captured color for the movie background. ii. Preferably, making the background for the .mov transparent. Or, anyone got any suggestions to make a .gif with transparent backgrounds, and using transitions like the slideshow does? Regards